The history of a mexican boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2005
Some person knows history Mexican Gustavo Aguirre benavides,de 14 years (in 1912) that tapeworm a navigation chart of the Frankfurt where she wrote down the route, frankfurt stopped in the zone of the titanic's sinking, and the boy wrote down the exact place of the sinking on the morning of april 15 1912, we don't know his chart by aims of Gustavo. and if they want complete history visits:

http://www.presidencia.gob.mx/mexico/sabiasque/?contenido=17552&pagina=3
(in spanish)

[Moderator's note: This thread was in another topic, but has been moved here. JDT]

Mar 28, 2002
Thanks for posting this story, Giovvanni.

Basically, the story is about a 14-year old Mexican boy who was being sent to Berlin to study engineering and had boarded the Frankfurt at Galveston, bound for Bremen. As the journey was long and boring and there weren't many (if any) other passengers to talk to, he meticulously plotted the course the ship took.

On the night of the 14th April, he said the Frankfurt repsonded to the calls for help coming from the Titanic but knew that they would not reach the scene for hours. When they finally did, the stayed for about four hours looking for signs of life. The sea was "congealed" with bodies and debris. He also spoke of seeing a well-dressed gentleman sitting on an iceberg (or ice floe?) with a pistol in his hand and a gunshot wound to his, I think, head.

Arriving in Bremen on 21st April 1912, Gustavo wrote a letter to his parents on the back of the navigational chart he had created during his voyage across on the Frankfurt. His parents kept the letter as it was the first from their son and they wanted it for posterity. Because of the Fist World War, Gustavo was not able to return to Mexico until 1915. He died on 14th April 1982.

Phewww!!!

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Boz. Hope you're well. Thanks for the summary (and thanks to Giovvanni for the original link).

I'm rubbish at Spanish, so I'm going to comment solely on the info Boz posted. Now, I'm not trying to be overly sceptical or anything - and I know that you won't necessarily know the answers, mate - but a few questions immediately leap to mind:

[1] How did this boy meticulously plot Frankfurt's course? Did he have access to the bridge/crew/charts/etc. or was this information made available freely to passengers? (I'd be surprised, but..)

[2] Come to think of it, what training in navigation did this 14 year-old boy have (and/or what equipment did he have)? Studying engineering does not naturally equate to an ability re navigation, surely.

[3] How did he know that Frankfurt was responding to Titanic's distress call; as it was the middle of the night, after all, so why wasn't he asleep? (I couldn't wake my 14 year-old in the middle of the night even with a hand grenade.)

[4] The obvious one: Why did no-one else report the sea "congealed" with bodies, or the gentleman with the gunshot wound? Or have I just missed such reports? (possible).

[5] Finally... Where's the letter now??!

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
>>The sea was "congealed" with bodies and debris.<<

If the sea was congelado, it was merely frozen.

No longitude/latitude mentioned in that report, so it's fairly meaningless. Captain Hattorff reported to NGL that he arrived at the incorrect SOS position at 10am, then eventually cruised around to the eastern side of the icefield.

He did not see any bodies and he resumed Frankfurt's course at noon. This was all reported in the US papers on April 24 and at least one British one the next day. 10am-noon is obviously two hours.

The Californian passed the Frankfurt shortly before Californian's noon on April 15.

Frankfurt was then close to the southern tip of the field, still on the western side, and in a position put at about 41 34 N, 50 08 W. She entered where the Californian emerged.

The actual wreck site today is about 13nm to the NE of the position cited above.

Seems this lad posted back a fairly standard log/chart postcard of the type regularly sold to passengers. His markings would make it an extraordinary item, regardless of how un/reliable those markings might be.

Where is the item now? Probably in the hands of Alan Aldridge, his agents, trustees, intermediaries or assigns...

Mar 28, 2002
Morning Paul, morning Senan,

I didn't say I believed it! Just paraphrasing what the article said. Some words did not translate but the gist is there. Whatever the article says, can it be ascertained that this boy was in fact a passenger on the Frankfurt that night? If the log card is authentic from the voyage and it does have all Gustavo's scribbling all over it and he was there, it would still be nice to have....

I'm doing fine, Paul, I owe you an e-mail I think. No doubt you two fine gentlemen will be partaking in a few beverages at the Adelphi with me next month?

Cheers,

Boz

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Morning Boz.

Sorry mate; didn't mean to imply you believed the article. I do try not to shoot the messenger!

"No doubt you two fine gentlemen will be partaking in a few beverages at the Adelphi with me next month?"

Eh? Can't be referring to me and Senan (well, to me at least).
wink.gif
But I will certainly be there, although work commitments mean I won't be arriving until late Friday evening, so I'll miss the auction.

Mar 28, 2002
Any particular Brit Vic, Senan?

Paul, looking forward to you venturing so far north! Don't forget your parka, what with the wind blowing up the congelado Mersey.

Cheers,

Boz

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
Any particular Brit Vic, Senan?

Jayziz, Boz, what do you take me for...

No, you can tell burly Vic to go dance with one of the other overseas visitors.

(By the way, Boz, do up your shirt buttons, please. I have no desire to look at your chest rug and medallion again this year...!)

For me Britvic means only the original of the species - Eve, in other words. At least that was their advertising slogan years ago when I was a boy - but it still didn't wean me from the black stuff. Proper mother's milk.

Hey, Boz, you and Vic should get on the dancefloor! The disco classics are starting -

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need
to
be
un-happy.

Young man - there's a place you can go.
I said, young man - when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have
a
good
time.

Ooo ooo ooo ooo -

It's fun to sing, it's not the

102372.jpg

(When their Anti-Singing Squad moved in with depressing predictability in the early hours every year, I used to think Y. M. I. Here?)

Oops, look at that well-known foreign researcher talking earnestly to someone in the corner. Jeez, someone should go rescue that poor Mexican boy...

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I'm not sure the Adelphi will be any more accomodating of your 2.00 am singalongs than the Hilton was, Sen - although given all those huge, cavernous rooms, I'm sure that a piano can be located tucked away in one of them that's sufficiently far from the front desk to allow a few covert rounds of 'Nearer my God...' (or camp 70s disco hits - whatever floats your boat!).

We just need another child prodigy to be willing to tickle the ivories.

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
Hi Ing. How about this one for Isidor Straus ?

Old man, there's no need to go drown.
I said, old man, in your rich dressing-gown
I said, old man, 'cause your Ida will frown
There's no need
to
die,
Grand-pappy.

Old man - there's a place in the boat.
I said, old man - and you know it will float.
But if you stay there, with the wife you adore
You will nev
-er see
Your
Old
Store

Ooo ooo ooo ooo -

It's fun to sing, it's the

M. A. C. Y.

Not Bloomingdales, it's the

M. A. C. Y-yai...

With apologies to the usual outraged persons.

Mar 28, 2002
Status
Not open for further replies.