The Homeric the underpowered and underrated beauty

Feb 14, 2011
Any Homeric buffs here? From what I read she was greatly underpowered, and many White Star buffs I know regard her as their least favorite liner. Why was the Homeric such an underdog? Ray Lepien wrote some wonderful articles about her in the Titanic Commutator, right before it went glossy...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

B

Brent Holt

I think the biggest problem was that the Homeric was designed as an intermediate liner (although just barely) and never intended to run with other ships of 21+ knots. White Star, in desperation to have a three ship express service, had to make do with the Homeric. It's not that she was a bad ship, far from it, just one that would have been better suited to the intermediate service out of Liverpool. (Like the Celtic, Cedric, Baltic, and Adriatic maintained)
White Star should have re-engined the ship at the earliest opportunity with geared turbines. This could have raised her speed by several knots.
Brent

kevin johnson

Apr 2, 2005
i just saw a picture of Homeric and her sister
ship Columbus the Columbus was a little sleeker
Brent answered my own qustion Homeric was scrapped in 1936 and the Columbus was scuttled
by the germans 0n 12 19 1939 to prevent her from
falling into British hands 590 km off cape hatteras

R

Robert Bass

The Homeric was a lovely vessel, maybe a little slow...but she had beautiful interiors.

Built for North German Lloyd and launched in 1913 as the Columbus. Construction held up during WWI...completed in 1920 by her German builders, but was altered considerably by the White Star Line. Entered WSL service in 1922.

****Important Note**** I believe much of the Britannic's furniture was installed on the Homeric. Illustrations of the Homeric's first class "Card Room" and "Corridor" show chairs that match those used in the Olympic class liner's A La Carte Restaurant. Her first class "Lounge" has wicker furniture that looks close to furniture found in the Olympic class liner's "Verandah & Palm Court" or "1st Class Dining Reception Room"

The Homeric's sister ship was laid down as the Hindenburg in 1914. The Hindenburg was given the name Columbus (Her sister Homeric's original name) when launched in 1918. Entered North German Lloyd service in 1923. In 1929 the Hindenburg/Columbus was given short and fatter funnels...also converted to oil firing and given turbines. Her new speed was 23 knows. these changes made her a better running mate to the Bremen and Europa.

Cheers,

Robert

Apr 11, 2001
Just a small side note here- the Homeric was Walter Lord's favorite -he felt she deserved far more recognition and attention. At the memorial, the last speaker closed by saying he felt if Walter would be journeying on a celestial sea right now-it would be aboard Homeric.

R

Robert Bass

Hi Shelly,

What a lovely thought. I agree with Mr. Lord, the Homeric does deserve more reconition and attention. In my above post that should say 23 knots.

Cheers,

Robert

Feb 14, 2011
She was a lovely ship- My only complaint was that her funnels seemed too small. Other than that, she looked much nicer than the so called 'cruise ships' of today...There was a very nice writeup about her by Ray Lepien in 2 1984 issues of the Titanic Commutator.

regards
Tarn Stephanos

May 8, 2001
Carelessly abandoned on the dirt at a swap meet 3 weekends ago, was a black and white photo in a frame of a ship. I asked how much, and for $5.00, I had a project of finding out what I had rescued. Apparently it is a picture of the SS Columbus being brought into Terminal Island, with San Pedro Harbor in the background, around 1930.
2 Stubby funnels, and looks similar to the drawing above. Confused about the names, I assume it is the Hindenburg/Columbus, and not the Homeric/Columbus. Looking at the picture, I wonder of the buildings in the background, or the railroad belonged to the Clark Family, of which they lost a son on Titanic. Guess I will have to drag it to the get together in July and find out!

I don't know if a picture of the Columbus is "rare" or "unusual" find, but I can't bring the pixels down enough to post it here for all to enjoy. If it is of interest, let me know, and poor Bill Wormstedt will be sent a big JPG to whittle down AGAIN for me!
wink.gif

May 8, 2001
I think after a day of struggling, (Bill is laughing, I know it!) I may be able to put the condensed version picture on the board. Anyone with further information, I'd like to learn about it. Is this Homeric's sister ship, or Homeric? (I think it is the sister ship, as her funnels are stubby.)
87007.jpg

Note to Phil Hind: I donate this picture with no prior knowledge of a copyright, nor do I have any knowledge of this belonging to an owner, except me.
smile.gif