News The Iceberg that sank Titanic? Famous photo up for auction.

J

Jack Dawson

titanic-iceberg.jpg
'

The Iceberg that sank Titanic' Famous photo up for auction.

A photograph taken by Chief Steward M. Linoenewald, of an iceberg with red paint is up for auction. The famous image has appeared in Walter Lord's 1955 book "A Night to Remember".

mueller

Apr 1, 2012
hello jack i too saw the article, and you might find it interesting, that not only did he take a pic of the iceberg, but he also gave a hand written account about seeing the iceberg. three other crew members also signed the paper he wrote his story on. i hope you find that interesting.

J

Jack Dawson

Hi Mueller, thanks for the additional background on the photo of the iceburg.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Hello there Jack and Mueller.

They say there is one born every minute. This article in the Telegraph and all those people who have more money that sense proves the point. That photograph is not one of the ice berg that sank Titanic. It is not a fake but a another example of the journalistic practice of taking a fact and altering it's 'DNA' to suit an opinion. It only requires a little knowledge to prove the point. This is done by carefully reading the available evidence.

The 'bug' in the system is the word "Gibraltar". This comes mainly from the evidence of passenger Charles E. Stengel who was in emergency boat No.1. I quote

"14506. Describe these icebergs. How large were they?
- There was one of them, particularly, that I noticed, a very large one, which looked something like the Rock of Gibraltar; it was high at one point, and another point came up at the other end, about the same shape as the rock of Gibraltar."

However, the man who really saw it close up was Able Seaman Joseph Scarrott. This is how he described it on Day 2 of the British Wreck Commissioner's Inquiry:

" 361. (Mr. Butler Aspinall.) What was the shape of this iceberg? A: - Well, it struck me at the time that it resembled the Rock of Gibraltar looking at it from Europa Point. It looked very much the same shape as that, only much smaller.......- As you approach Gibraltar - it seemed that shape. The highest point would be on my right, as it appeared to me."!

The berg seen by Scarrott looked a lot like this:

europa-point.jpg

Compare the above to the photograph in the Telegraph.

la-linea-de-la-concepcion.jpg

The above was taken from the Spanish side.. La Linea- a perspective relatively unknown to British Royal Navy seamen of the day.

All seamen know that when you approach Gibraltar from the direction indicated, you see but one peak; not the classic tourist version as seen across Algeciras Bay from mainland Spain.

Jim C.

la-linea-de-la-concepcion.jpg

europa-point.jpg