The Ideal Titanic Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2005
One thing about this website is that everybody is allowed their own opinions, with backups from the experts as to whether or not they are correct or not.

This is my idea of the ideal Titanic movie.:
(You can splice bits and pieces of these together and end up with a ten or eleven hour epic production !) ;-)

The historical content from "A Night to Remember" (1958)

The color and special effects from "Titanic" (1997)

The "love story subplot" from "Titanic"
(1953)

Maybe this will start a new thread from those with better ideas ! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I think I can do without the love story. However, if they must throw in a gratuitous sex scene, could I trouble the producers to have it happen somewhere other then the back seat of a car in the cargo hold that was crated up in real life?

Seriously, I think if Hollywood really wanted to do the Titanic story justice, it would take a mini-series to do it. Start with the events leading up to it (And please, no more of that dinner party where the idea was supposed to have come up), the events themselves, and the inquires which followed.

• Haha
May 3, 2005
Possibly something on the order that "The Caine Mutiny Court Martial" was to "The Caine Mutiny" ?

Starting with the inquiries and working back from there with flashbacks, etc. ?

Feb 21, 2005
My ideal would be something close to 'Titanic: Birth Of A Legend'. Only full reenactments and no narration. Only extend the show until the sinking and aftermath. Yes, we all know that Birth Of A Legend wasn't without it's flaws, but those can be fixed for a nice 2-night miniseries. Plus, more crew and fireman action would be apprecaited. We already have a general idea of what happened above-decks. But what was happening to these guys who stayed at their posts as the ship broke up around them? That's something that's yet to be covered in a Titanic film.

>> think I can do without the love story.<<

I can live with that!!
happy.gif
If they're going to HAVE to add a love story, make it a historical story such as the Astors and the gossip they had to face nightly going into the Dining Room. Maybe go a little bit into the crew's love interests back at home that they're looking forward to seeing again. But past that, nadda, IMO.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I would quite happily settle for a remake of ANTR, using modern (i.e. Cameron-style) imagery and special effects.

Personally, I find the love story from Titantic 1953 to be barely less irritating than the Jack and Rose nonsense. The point has been made many times here that there were more than enough real-life stories around Titanic without having to invent any. The problem may be in part that real people require proper and exhausting research, especially after the passage of so much time. Fictitious characters are easy - you can make them do anything you want!

Then, of course, there is the slight matter of the Californian. Whatever slant on the subject that the makers of our hypothetical movie happened to take would have them running for cover from whichever side of the spectrum they managed to cheese off. To simply leave the Leyland ship out of the story completely, Cameron-style, would plainly not be an option!

Mind you, it wouldn't bother me much one way or the other. I am now so undecided on the subject of the Californian that I would just accept whatever I was watching and shrug it off. At the risk of igniting a major firestorm, I am starting to think that the relevance of the Californian saga in the overall Titanic story has been blown out of all proportion in some quarters, anyway.

(Gazooks! Did I really just say that??)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>To simply leave the Leyland ship out of the story completely, Cameron-style, would plainly not be an option! <<

Yeah, well the problem is trying to treat it in such a fashion that a reasonable person might just take it as objective. Unfortunately, the battle lines on this are well and truely drawn so I'm not sure it can be done without the producer ending up taking a lot of heat from one side or the other.

>>Starting with the inquiries and working back from there with flashbacks, etc. ?<<

I'm not so sure that would work. It might but it may take a lot of effort to keep it from becoming tiresome. Audiances like drama, but a real courtroom is about as exciting as watching paint dry, and a Hollywood version has as much in common with real life proceedings as Taco Bell does with real Mexican cuisine...which is to say, none to speak of.

Feb 21, 2005
Unfortunately, as Mike has stated, audiences like drama. And nowadays, SEX. That's what the audience buys.

My ideal Titanic movie would have plenty of drama, as the real event did. But I'd gladly pass on any kind of sexual love thing. However, I stand almost alone (especially in my generation) on that opinion.

My ideal Titanic film could incorporate sex, if it were telling the story of a true couple that was on the Titanic. But this back seat of a car that was actually boxed up in a crate thing just doesn't fly with me, which is why I never watch the first half of the Cameron film 'Titanic'.

The big question is: How do we create a Titanic film that stays true to the real story and doesn't have to add the hot teenage sexual scenes and somehow make a profit? I don't see how it can happen in this day in age.

For those of us who are truly passionate about Titanic herself, a film about the Big T. without a love/sex story would sell like hotcakes, but I'm afraid that our little croud wouldn't be enough for any major production company to bother with. Me, myself, with my love of movie-making, would gladly do it but I have nowhere near the funds to build the sets and pay the actors. Fortunately, I live near a college with plenty of student actors looking for credits, but it's the other technical aspects of filmmaking that keep me from producing my dream.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>My ideal Titanic film could incorporate sex, if it were telling the story of a true couple that was on the Titanic.<<

Interestingly enough, that may well be possible in the context of real history. Anyone remember the account of a steward trying to get a couple to come out of the cabin where the door had been locked from the inside but they told him to go away?

I don't think they were having a Bible study in there. (Try a "biology" lesson!)
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2004
>>Anyone remember the account of a steward trying to get a couple to come out of the cabin where the door had been locked from the inside but they told him to go away?

Dadgummit, Michael! Ya beat me to it with that one! '-)

There's a variation on it in ANTR the film when, just prior to the iceberg sighting, a young man slips across a hallway, knocks quietly on a door, and is welcomed inside by a very enticing hand.

Roy

Feb 21, 2005
I seem to remember a scene from another T. film, I think 'Atlantic'(1929) where a stewart walks into a woman's room telling her to evacuate and he goes to get her life jacket out of the closet and finds a gentleman caller hiding in the closet. The stewart doesn't seem a bit surprised and leaves looking back at the stunned woman saying something like "You'd better dress warmly...Madam."

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
Let me pipe up by saying more Second Class footage! It seems they always focus on First and Third. Second was really nice, the passengers were well to do, and I always am cross because we never get to see the Second Class interiors and fitments.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Dadgummit, Michael! Ya beat me to it with that one! '-)<<

Sowwy about that.
shy.gif

>>Let me pipe up by saying more Second Class footage! <<

Not a bad idea there. Some of the most interesting stories came from 2cnd class...Beesley for example. It's really a shame that they get short shrift even in the real histories.

J

Jon Meadows

I've always thought a movie about the inquiries where survivors take the stand and tell their story, with flashbacks showing the disaster would be very interesting. Plus, you could have different re-enactments of the same scene with different points of view.

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Jon!

There was a recent play in New York that took this tack. Great care must be exercised, however, so that the actors don't "editorialize" on the "good guys vs. the bad guys."

Roy

Feb 21, 2005
I'll tell you what I would love to see, and that would be a film strictly about Thomas Andrews and the Titanic. The film could dabble a bit into Andrews' family just prior to departure and the concentrate primarily on his ventures around the ship. If anyone were in a position to be in and out of everywhere on that ship, it would be Andrews. It's been stated that he was a very generous people person and would have interacted with numerous passengers and crew. Then you could incorporate 1st, 2nd, 3rd Classes, and the engineering aspects of the ship. Surely he spent a lot of time in the bowels of the ship checking engine performance and making notes for modifications for future vessels.

I'm not sure the general public would find such a film a real thrill, but for the Titanic buff this might not be a bad idea.

Just a thought.

Dec 3, 2005
>>I'd pay to see a film about Andrews - even in the pre-Titanic years, strictly a view from Belfast.
You could perhaps end the film on April 2nd, 1912...<<

Sadly, that'd never fly. People need spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.