The identities of the unidentified bodies

H

Hydie Cheung

I have this question in my mind.. Have anyone used the DNA testings to identify the unknown bodies in recent years??

- Hydie

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Hydie, the only case I know of occurred last year. It had long been thought that the small boy buried at the expense of the crew of Mackay-Bennett was Gösta Pålsson. A team from Lakehead University in Ontario established that the victim was really Eino Vijami Panula. The full, rather gruesome, story is on this site if you search. There's also a special article you can get to via the home page.

H

Hydie Cheung

Yea, Dave. That's what I heard a while ago too. So I was wondering if this method might solve the mystery of Captain Smith's death.

- Hydie

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Hydie, that's very unlikely. Captain Smith was very readily identifiable, what with his beard and his uniform. I fear that the exact details of his end will be forever a mystery.

K

Kristen Adame

Hello. In doing genealogy research I've discovered that I apparently am a descendant (not a direct line) of Thomas Andrews. Was his body ever found? And if so, where is it buried? I'd appreciate any information anyone might have.

Thank you,
Kristen Adame

Jul 12, 2003
I imagine I have chosen the right topic for this post. Just have something I want to share...I was going thru some genealogy magazines that I have for my family research and was reading one on DNA. In it they use the example of Eino Viljami Panula of Finland. I saw the documentary on TV not too long ago about the search for the identity of the "Unknown Child" too.

The article talks about the crew members of the Mackay-Bennett finding his little body and transported him to Halifax for a burial. The DNA testing was done in October 2002 so that means that he was unidentified for almost a century which is so sad. Anyway, the documentary was down by PBS and it was called "Secrets of the Dead: Titanic's Ghosts". The article also gives a site to visit about Eino: <dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20021104/titanic.html>

I haven't visited it yet myself but I still wanted to share.