The ill fated Collins liners Arctic and Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
You are welcome Tarn. Here is another, of the Pacific, dating from 1856. This was scanned in its frame as well, but being a large image the colors transferred a bit better.

Good question about Walter Lord's thesis. One might begin by consulting the library of whichever university or college he attended to see if it was published, and if not to see if they have it on file and are authorised to photocopy or lend it. If it was published, the university might have a reference or lending copy.

50777.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
TARN: Walter Lord's senior thesis was done at Princeton in 1939. The title of it was: The Rise and Fall of the Collins Line. It was unpublished, but you might want to contact the Princeton Library online and see if they have a manuscript copy on file. If they do,and there are no legal restrictions on it, you may be able to get it photocopied.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I just purchased a book on the Arctic titled "The Sea Shall Embrace Them" written by David Shaw. I've only skimmed through it, but it has some great photos of the ship. It looks like a terrific read!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Jason- You are welcome. I'm going to be away from my scanner for about a month and a half, but I have some news Collins stuff and a ton and a half of Normandie and Morro Castle items to put up when I get back.
Regards,
Jim

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
There is a good photo of the Artic in "Women and Children last". it is from the early days of photography, so its not quite as clear as the paintings or line drawings of the day, but its nice if you want to see an actual photo. i have heard some people say Shaw's and Brown's books are mostly the same, not quite true. Shaw tends to concentrate more on luce and the others on the paddle wheel box, moments after from vesta ramming artic til rescue, and also better detail on luce and keyn and officers. where browns book tends to concentrate more on before the artic was rammed and after it, and has some better details on the vesta and other ships involved in the disaster and also the brown family.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
There is a new book out, Transatlantic, which contains a bit more information on the fate of the Pacific. It seems that only her bow section was found back in the 1980s, which raises more questions than it answers about her loss. There was an article in one of the more obscure archaeological journals about the exploration of said, of which I am trying to get a copy.

Mar 10, 2009
I am new to the Encyclopedia Titanica and have been having much fun going through the archives here. The Collins Line is one of my favorite subjects to research. A copy of Walter Lord's thesis resides at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA. To see some researched recreations of the Collins liner SS Baltic check out the US Flagged Liners page at

www.oceanliners.us

Just so you know the wreck of the Arctic has been located and filmed but no information will be released until the salvage rights have been cleared in court. I still cannot name the source of my information which was received in April of 2008. Keep an ear out in news sources soon for more details.

May 27, 2007
Welcome to
et.gif
, Russell! I'm also interested in the Arctic after reading Brown's Women And Children Last in High School!

quote:

Just so you know the wreck of the Arctic has been located and filmed but no information will be released until the salvage rights have been cleared in court.
Thank you for the information! I'll keep an ear open for that!
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.