The Irish Aboard the Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Senan, I've had the chance to read your book, and I've enjoyed it immensely.

This book is a labor of love, backed up by extensive, solid research. The writing flows smoothly and kept my attention throughout.

You made those old black-and-white photos come alive in vivid color with your writing.

Please tell us that you have another book in the works!

Oct 13, 2000
hello all,

just this morning I received the news that the second printing of Senan's book is finally almost finished. according to the publisher, copies should be available for ordering by the middle of next week.

the price of the book is IR17.99 pounds, which if I did my math right is about $19.97 American.

as far as I know, the book is only available directly from the publisher at this time. whether it will be available on the larger booksites like Amazon.com UK, or if it will be available here in the U.S. at all is unclear.

I tried for a half hour to create a direct link to Senan's book on Wolfhound Press' website, but just couldn't get it to work right for some reason. to see the listing, copy and paste the following address into your browser's 'location' line, and you should get there:

http://www.wolfhound.ie/editor's.htm

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T
http://www.titanicbooksite.com

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Thank you very much Michael!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Oct 13, 2000
my pleasure!

also, while I am thinking about it, for those of you who asked if this book is ever going to be available here in the U.S. - the answer is yes. according to the publisher there will be an edition in America, but probably not till this fall. I don't have any definite word yet on who will be carrying it once it finally does get to our shores.

when I find out, I will post a note here.

Michael (TheManInBlack) T
http://www.titanicbooksite.com

Jan 31, 2001
Hello everyone,

I ordered four Titanic books from Amazon.com this evening to add to my rather pitiful collection. I will finally have Triumph and Tragedy, but the book I am really looking forward to is Irish Aboard Titanic.

What I was wondering is whether or not it can be compared to Alan Hustak's book on the Canadian passengers? I also have it, and I loved it. I would like to know if the two are similar in the amount of information they give on each passenger, the number of passengers featured in the book, etc. Do you feel Molony's book is more informative than Hustak's? Thanks in advance to any information and opinions.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I think you'll find Molony's book superlative, Brandon - not only in the information presented (of which there is a tremendous amount), but also in the quality of the writing. Hauntingly lyrical in certain passages, with touches of humour and observation so characteristic of the author. Insightful and informative, and also an utterly engaging read. I made the mistake of taking it into work with me when I first received my copy, and was so utterly engrossed I couldn't put it down. I can't remember the last time a Titanic tome so completely fascinated me.

Jun 4, 2000
Brandon,

FWIW, I'm in complete agreement with the above comments. The Irish Aboard Titanic is a marvellous book, well written, bristling with photos of passengers and crew, all of it backed up by solid research including use of Irish Census data and local contemporary newspaper accounts. In case it helps you further, Phil Gowan was the book's US based 'eyes and ears' and contributed critical research to the work.

As Inger wrote, the text is excellent - quite refreshing amongst some of the otherwise worthy Titanic books of recent (and not so recent) years. But this is not a triumph of style over content, as the content is most definitely there, with humour, pathos, outrage in the observations and presentation of the facts. Most importantly, the stories of the individuals are told as individual stories, as befits the memory of all those people. It's most definitely on a par with Alan Hustak's Titanic: The Canadian Story, and has more text and photos too.

Enjoy!

Oct 13, 2000
Brandon asked,
Do you feel Molony's book is more informative than Hustak's?

there really is no point in trying to compare and contrast Molony's book versus Hustak's. they both do a superlative job covering certain portions of Titanic's compliment, the Irish and the Canadians respectively. both books are invaluable for the wealth of information covered. both titles deserve a place in your growing library on the subject.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jan 31, 2001
Thank you all for your input. I am very much looking forward to reading this. I love the stories of the passengers; that's why I found Hustak's book so intriguing.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Brandon,

I totally agree with the above posts. Senan has a lot of good information about the Irish passengers in his book. I purchased my copy while I was in Ireland this past summer and it's a wonderful book.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 31, 2001
My shipment of books arrived yesterday, and the first one I started reading was Molony's. It's more in-depth than I expected, and the pictures are really wonderful. I read about one hundred pages last night. I just love reading the stories of the passengers and crew.

This book will have a place in my bookcase for a long time to come!

Mar 28, 2002
I'm waiting for Waterstone's to say they have my copy any day now. Couldn't get Alan Hustak's book though as they say it's out of print.

Cheers,

Boz

Status
Not open for further replies.