The Jazz Age or All Roads Lead To Ballyhoo

G

George L. Lorton

This is the age after The Gilded Age that your momma don't want you talking about. The Age Of Ballyhoo or Jazz Age was from 1920-30 or from right after the WWI (The Great War). That's right the roaring 20s. Struggle Buggies/Chariots of Sin(Cars) and going to see a man about a dog(gettin liquor) and other fun things like movie stars and petting parties. Women cutting their hair and a rug. Prohibition, That's right when the U.S.A. was drier then the Sahara. Women can vote and do other things if their clever. Valentino, Swanson and Hollywood. Radio. Songs such as 'I'd walk a mile for one of your smiles, We have no Bananas and The Charleston" there ain't nothin finer"(A dance and a song). This topic is for anything about the 20's. Because it's lost, lets find it. We'll start with Speakeasies and Demon Rum and This Side Of Paradise and work from there.

M

monica e. hall

Tougher than you think, George.

I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles ...

G

George L. Lorton

After a Million miles, Mamie better be smiling
Happy

M

monica e. hall

I wouldn't bet on it, George. Walking a million miles (or even just driving a couple) takes time and - from my experience - the smile on your sons' faces evaporates in the short time it takes to walk from parking the car to getting into the sitting room to greet you. You're lucky if you get a grunted "Hi!" before they vanish into the shower with their mobiles to get ready to go out again. I must have done something wrong ....
"Hello, darling ..."
"See you later, Mum..."

G

George L. Lorton

Monica: "I must have done something wrong ...."

Naw.....The joys of Parenthood. My daughter never lets me be it morning, noon or night. She's 2 so I enjoy it while I can. She's always smiling about something, usually some mischief she just accomplished that's just guaranteed to make Daddy flip.
Smile

G

George L. Lorton

Did England try to help America enforce Prohibition by policing her boats or did Britain mostly turn a blind eye to hooch(hard liquor)being smuggled into Yankee Land.

Stanley C Jenkins

Stanley C Jenkins

Surely The United Kingdom would not have been able to enforce prohibition on British ships insofar as the prohibition law had no validity in Britain - a ship at sea being regarded as British territory. What was the situation regarding Canada?

G

George L. Lorton

Stanley

Sorry should of been more clear. I meant checking the cargo and making sure that no Hooch was being smuggled in. Although I guess that was a job for the coast guard.

Canada, Well the Canadian police I bet patrolled the border unless they were corrupt. A lot of People broke the law. No Liquor! A lot of American Cops on the street were a corrupt or be sympathetic to the average drinker. They wanted a drink themselves. I wander how much alcohol disappeared from the evidence locker.

Stanley C Jenkins

Stanley C Jenkins

Hello George, Yes, I can now see the distinction between enforcing prohibition and declaring goods for customs purposes. I assume the prohibition era would have been good news for British shipping companies, which would presumably have been able to sell alcohol to American citizens once they were outside of territorial limits.

G

George L. Lorton

Jason why yes it was me in the studio too. Wasn't my partner a dish. She was a looker and hoofer. Whata gal.
Happy

G

George L. Lorton

Jason-

She was hot to trot and Jazzed to go, trust me. I need to get with Louise Brooks. Now there's a woman. It just that acid tongue of hers

Where was my hair. It wasn't on my head?
Sad
You sure are a little guy. I may have work for you in films as a child impersonator. The studio orphan up and got himself killed on set and we need a replacement.

Thanks for the Clip that was fun
Happy
People sure were doing crazy stuff back then like spending days at a time on flag poles and other crazy stuff.

G

George L. Lorton

Stanley: "I assume the prohibition era would have been good news for British shipping companies"

I bet you it wasn't bad news. I don't know what us yanks were thinking. I guess it seemed like a good idea that quickly back fired like a model T.
Happy
I guess the U.S. government's philophosy was "Lets make drinking illegal so we can turn all of our citizens into outlaws." Not one of our best decisions.
Sad