The Jazz Age or All Roads Lead To Ballyhoo

May 27, 2007
This is the age after The Gilded Age that your momma don't want you talking about. The Age Of Ballyhoo or Jazz Age was from 1920-30 or from right after the WWI (The Great War). That's right the roaring 20s. Struggle Buggies/Chariots of Sin(Cars) and going to see a man about a dog(gettin liquor) and other fun things like movie stars and petting parties. Women cutting their hair and a rug. Prohibition, That's right when the U.S.A. was drier then the Sahara. Women can vote and do other things if their clever. Valentino, Swanson and Hollywood. Radio. Songs such as 'I'd walk a mile for one of your smiles, We have no Bananas and The Charleston" there ain't nothin finer"(A dance and a song). This topic is for anything about the 20's. Because it's lost, lets find it. We'll start with Speakeasies and Demon Rum and This Side Of Paradise and work from there.

May 27, 2007
After a Million miles, Mamie better be smiling
happy.gif

Jun 11, 2000
I wouldn't bet on it, George. Walking a million miles (or even just driving a couple) takes time and - from my experience - the smile on your sons' faces evaporates in the short time it takes to walk from parking the car to getting into the sitting room to greet you. You're lucky if you get a grunted "Hi!" before they vanish into the shower with their mobiles to get ready to go out again. I must have done something wrong ....
"Hello, darling ..."
"See you later, Mum..."

May 27, 2007
Monica: "I must have done something wrong ...."

Naw.....The joys of Parenthood. My daughter never lets me be it morning, noon or night. She's 2 so I enjoy it while I can. She's always smiling about something, usually some mischief she just accomplished that's just guaranteed to make Daddy flip.
smile.gif

May 27, 2007
Did England try to help America enforce Prohibition by policing her boats or did Britain mostly turn a blind eye to hooch(hard liquor)being smuggled into Yankee Land.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
Surely The United Kingdom would not have been able to enforce prohibition on British ships insofar as the prohibition law had no validity in Britain - a ship at sea being regarded as British territory. What was the situation regarding Canada?

May 27, 2007
Stanley

Sorry should of been more clear. I meant checking the cargo and making sure that no Hooch was being smuggled in. Although I guess that was a job for the coast guard.

Canada, Well the Canadian police I bet patrolled the border unless they were corrupt. A lot of People broke the law. No Liquor! A lot of American Cops on the street were a corrupt or be sympathetic to the average drinker. They wanted a drink themselves. I wander how much alcohol disappeared from the evidence locker.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
Hello George, Yes, I can now see the distinction between enforcing prohibition and declaring goods for customs purposes. I assume the prohibition era would have been good news for British shipping companies, which would presumably have been able to sell alcohol to American citizens once they were outside of territorial limits.

May 27, 2007
Jason-

She was hot to trot and Jazzed to go, trust me. I need to get with Louise Brooks. Now there's a woman. It just that acid tongue of hers

Where was my hair. It wasn't on my head?
sad.gif
You sure are a little guy. I may have work for you in films as a child impersonator. The studio orphan up and got himself killed on set and we need a replacement.

Thanks for the Clip that was fun
happy.gif
People sure were doing crazy stuff back then like spending days at a time on flag poles and other crazy stuff.

May 27, 2007
Stanley: "I assume the prohibition era would have been good news for British shipping companies"

I bet you it wasn't bad news. I don't know what us yanks were thinking. I guess it seemed like a good idea that quickly back fired like a model T.
happy.gif
I guess the U.S. government's philophosy was "Lets make drinking illegal so we can turn all of our citizens into outlaws." Not one of our best decisions.
sad.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Prohibition has killed more men
than Sherman ever dreamed.
If they cant get whiskey they'll take to dope.
Cocaine and morphine.
This ol' country it sure ain't dry
and dry it's never been.
Prohibition, i'll say it again
is crime's money making machine.

I'll tell you brother and I wont lie
about what's the matter in this land.
They'll drink it wet, but vote it dry
and hide it if they can.
They'll pitch a party and they'll all get drunk
and call it society.
But if they catch you with a pint,