The Jazz Age or All Roads Lead To Ballyhoo

G

George L. Lorton

Earlier...MUCH earlier...in this thread, I talked about the Red Hot Rhinelander scandal of 1925. "Kip" Rhinelander, old money New Yorker, had married Alice Jones, a lower middle class English girl living in NYC. He was "SHOCKED" a bit later to discover that his wife was half-black. Papa Rhinelander pressured him to have his marriage annulled.
I remember that discussion with photo of Alice and her parents! Lucky Girl! She had one of each! I think trippy Kippy knew what he was gettin' but Pappy pitched a fit and threatened the old jewel "I'll disinherit you if you up and marry that C...n!" so that Marriage went up in smoke! Going up, going up, up in a buff of smoke! Did that story have a song too? If it doesn't I'll make one up and send it to the Daily Mirror Of Fear! Fear for anyone caught in that rag and wanting to hang on to their reputations! Pity... they probably had to move the Rudy Valentino makes contact with Moochie Medium and describes Ballyhoo Heaven to the back, back pages! Damn! I hope Alice whipped Pappy and Trippy Kippy b*** in court! Go get'em Stuffy Racist Crackers, Shug!

Love it! Jim Kalafus shares bygone Scandals of Yore (Daily Mirror) with Cantankerous Commentary by Geo. Lorton.

Lemme know when you post a copy of Micheline Keating's byline on Pola Negri's Antics at Rudy Valentino's Funeral! Pola Faints, Faints, Faints! It's my favorite! Yes seems I have no taste after all!

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

I'll buy that explanation, Jim - says she, hoping she's not sounding overly eager to adopt it as a rationalisation for an irresistable attraction to reading about everything from Evelyn Nesbit to Aimee Semple McPherson with good doses of Judge Crater and his ilk thrown in for good measure.

Btw - in reference to something that came up much earlier in this thread, I was going through papers last night and found that mid-19th century story about a horrific child murder that I'd mentioned. I'll see if it scans well - it's broadsheet reduced to A3, so the typeface is eyestrainingly difficult.

K

Kyle Johnstone

>>I can understand the average Joe on the street response to something that is over and done with and has no impact on their lives and to them looks foolish and stupid!<<

Well, that's partly what makes Joe... average.

Happy

>>I'll probably be deader then Fulk by then<<

Is Fulk dead? Oh man, why'd nobody say nuthin?

Happy
Happy

G

George L. Lorton

Inger,
Btw - in reference to something that came up much earlier in this thread, I was going through papers last night and found that mid-19th century story about a horrific child murder that I'd mentioned.
Warn me when you do! I still haven't seen "The changeling" and probably won't either! I remember that story, Inger where the mother went to look for her child and found the said child's head! Didn't you run across that story from the 1850's while doing genealogy on a Titanic Officers Family? Horrible stuff!

I'll buy that explanation, Jim - says she, hoping she's not sounding overly eager to adopt it as a rationalisation for an irresistible attraction to reading about everything from Evelyn Nesbit to Aimee Semple McPherson with good doses of Judge Crater and his ilk thrown in for good measure.
Yeas I can't really talk when I have contributed over 70% of the stuff on here and started this thread! I guess I got a case of burn out on the 20's! Seems if it's after 1600 I don't get enthused like I used too!
Sad

Howdy Kyle!

>>I can understand the average Joe on the street response to something that is over and done with and has no impact on their lives and to them looks foolish and stupid!<<

Well, that's partly what makes Joe... average.
True! But you forgot lackluster as did I! A lackluster average Joe!

Is Fulk dead? Oh man, why'd nobody say nuthin?
Yep, Dead and buried!

G

George L. Lorton

Kyle,
Thanks for posting the Video! I posted it back when this thread started as part of my tribute to Flappers but it's nice to see it again!

G

George L. Lorton

Well so long Folks,
I guess this is as good a place as any to announce that I'm leaving ET since this is the only thread I really post in constantly and since I started it last year I feel I should make the announcement here! I've enjoyed talking with you all on Titanic and the 1920's and all that entails! I might be back someday in the future..perhaps but I feel it's time for me to move on and since I really don't have anything left to say (Right Now anyways) and plus the fact I'll be moving for a while to a place where I won't have computer access I feel it's time to go! I will be here till Friday though if anybody wants to say so long and have one last chat with me!
Ciao and Many Fete's
George (Retro_Geo) Lorton Esq.

G

George L. Lorton

It has been a pleasure talking with you, Jim and Inger, Jason S, Brandon and Kyle who finally started posting just when I was leaving! I feel like the lady on Romper Room with her mirror! I see..... I hope to be back someday! I also hope you all keep chatting about the 20's Ballyhoo and jazzing it up! I may not be able to contribute but hopefully I can sneak on to the computer at the N.S. or library and lurk around and read what you all have been talking about! Gonna miss you all and hope to get back with you all soon! Geo=-)

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

You'll be much missed, George - hope that you still find time to sling on some hot jazz and indulge in a bathtub gin cocktail from time to time. We'll be waiting here for you when you do!

B

Ben Lemmon

Have fun, George. Don't have too much fun without us. I guess I have to publish now, so you will be able to see the final product. I am pretty sure that our good friend Jim can continue to stoke the flames of conversation here in "the Jazz Age." He is quite intelligent, and that's why I rely on him for my editing. You should be able to rely on him to continue your legacy here. I hope he doesn't mind that I just put him on the spot like that :). Will miss you though, George. You should find some time to write. It would be nice to hear from you.

G

George L. Lorton

Gonna miss you all! Take care and I hope all of you keep the conversation going! Bye!

J

Jim Kalafus

THE CHANGELING: Oh well. She looked good in 1920s fashions.

My problem with the film was that it left out two VERY salient details.

1) The film mentions that Mr. Collins could not handle responsibility (Presumably of fatherhood) and took off. He was doing a stint in the pen for armed robbery. Was given a job in prison- cellblock boss- that was usually given to the worst of the non-psychotic. His son's kidnapping was thought to be an act of retaliation, and investigated as such.

Maybe it was nothing. Or maybe it was something. but, the film left unexplored what previous interaction Mrs Collins had with the law that MIGHT have caused them to assume she was unstable. Since she had a husband in prison, it can be assumed that they had at least SOME contact with Mrs. Collins and might have been exposed to her at...shall we say...her least stable. Or maybe they didn't. DID the police have prevuious experience with Mrs Collins in a way that might have prejudiced them against her?

By eliminating that detail they've turned the film into simple minded bad police/good citizen polemic by erasing the ambiguity of her character.

Also...walter's body was never found, and the evidence that he died at the Northcutt farm is less than compelling, leaving the possibility that he WAS abducted and killed by someone his father 'worked over' in prison.

B) Nortcutt, the killer, worked in tandem with his OWN mother. His mother, in fact, did 12 years for confessing to killing the Collins child. Northcutt's father HAD to have been involved, too, but got a free pass. One suspects this omission is at least in part due to the film's P.C. Mother-as-Goddess outlook. The Power of Wyymyn In a Male Dominated World theme would have been considerably blunted by the introduction of a mother-son serial killing team that preyed on young boys. This particular omission is unforgivable...

So, it works as entertainment but, like TITANIC, ends up irritating thru its distortions and omissions.

But, she looks good in period clothes.

G

George L. Lorton

Well as I said I wasn't going to see this one anyways although Jolie does look lovely in Photo's! Could of been more historically accurate it true. But from what I read on Wikipedia it was 95% accurate with regard to how she was put in insane asylum and about the cop, who I might add never paid her after being ordered to do so for what he did! I wonder what happened to the kid who wasn't her son! The little liar who wanted to meet Tom Minx! I hope somebody gave him a whipping and the Cops who fell for his shenanigans as well in that they wouldn't believe Christine Collins nor her friends who stated the Boy wasn't her son! In their defense the police said Mrs. Collins didn't want to raise her son and that it was all a rouge so she could palm his care off to the State which sounds pretty weak and flimsy to me!! Put to each their own!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Changeling_(2008_film)

Cut and paste above link into your browser!

G

George L. Lorton

Ballyhoo Jazzers and Gilded Agers too~

Tonight, I will be watching "The Cheat" 1915 which stars Fannie Ward "The Eternal Flapper" and one of the first Asian Actors Sessue Hayakawa, and Jack Dean.

Basic plot is a Woman (Ward) borrows some money from a wealthy Businessman (Hayakawa) who decides he want her has his property when she tries to pay him back so she shots him and her husband (Dean) is blamed for it and is put on trial!! An early Cecil B. DeMille folks so this should be interesting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cheat
(Cut and paste into browser)