The last 2005 expedition to the Titanic

Nov 29, 2005
A lot of comments have been posted here about all of the expeditions that visited the R.M.S. Titanic in 2005.

The final expedition to the wreck site, which occurred in August 2005, will be featured on a documentary currently scheduled to air on The History Channel in the United States in January 2006. You can see behind the scenes photos from the expedition by clicking here: http://www.explorerconsulting.com/pages/9/index.htm

Best regards,

David Concannon

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
I read about this on CNN this morning. I was rather disappointed with Dr. Ballard's remarks about the research.
sad.gif

A

Allison Lane

Yeah, Ballard's remark had me miffed, too. He sounded like William Shatner ranting at the Trekkies.

The description of how they're now thinking the ship sank also has me extremely confused, so I'm hoping more details come out soon.

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Whilst not defending (nor attacking) Dr. Ballard, it is worthwhile bearing in mind that quotes are often taken out of context by the media and therefore do not always reflect the actual thoughts of the person quoted. For example, Parks Stephenson has noted (in this post) that his quoted comments implied something he did not actually believe.

Sep 29, 2005
Hello Mark,
Rob Goldsmith's Titanic Expedition was filmed for the United Kingdom's History Channel and this program aired over in the UK in mid-October. This documentary is NOT the expedition that was led by David Concannon and the US History Channel's Deep Sea Detective series that will have the latest information discussed on this thread. I was Rob Goldsmith's dive partner in MIR II with Genya Cherniev as our pilot and filmed Rob while he was in the MIR. Our dive to the wreck site of Titanic was filmed on July 12th. The director/producer for this UK History Channel special, Andrew Brooking, told me that there may be plans for presenting Rob Goldsmith's documentary over in the North American market. However, please check out Rob's very successful web site as it has many wonderful photographs from our Titanic expedition. If you look closely, you will even see a few shots of me in these photos. A ten-part Dive Log series from our dive down to Titanic can be found in the archives of Shipwrecks web log ( http://shipwreck.blogs.com ) from August 3rd to August 17th. This will be a perfect complement and commentary to our recently completed Titanic Photographic Series. In that way, Mark, you can then see exactly where we went during our dive to this fascinating shipwreck.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
David B., I've noticed that the website you have previously linked to, Rob's website, and some of your own posts here all state that the rudder is gone. What leads you to this conclusion? The photo captioned "stern minus rudder" on Rob's site seems to imply quite the opposite--there appears to be a vertical line that separates the stern from the rudder, and in the enlarged version of the photo the trailing edge of the stern appears to be not truly vertical (as the stern without the rudder would have been), but curved outwards at the bottom.

Thanks,

--Jim

Sep 29, 2005
Hello James,
Unfortunately the wording placed under the captions and in the web log were a bit confusing and I thank you for allowing me to clarify. I was trying to state that you can not formally see an intact complete rudder. With the collapsing fantail and the outline of what appears to be the top portion of the rudder, it is very difficult to conclude whether it is actually there or not. Some Titanic experts feel that the stern section where the rudder was positioned may have landed on the ocean floor first and was destroyed. Others feel that the rudder may be totally intact and in the ocean bottom obscured by the sand/mud. I don't want to speculate either way because the photos may be inconclusive. Being a biological scientist and deep technical diver looking at the decay of the shipwreck, I am placing these photos on the corporate web site so that the Titanic community can evaluate them for their historical and structural significance. As for Rob's web site, I am not involved in what content that he places there. Obviously, I would enjoy hearing from some of the experts on this forum for their opinion. As a side note, I will be placing some video on the corporate web site ( www.nauticalresearch.com ) after the Holidays and will include a section of the digital video clip to this area for further evaluation.

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
The wreck is amazing. As to the fantail, it might seem like that due to the poop deck. Roy Mengot told me the partially intact aft area of that deck is compressed down a few feet. The rudder is still there, but mostly buried as the aft end of the stern hit first, and the rest slammed down. If you saw his model at http://www.titanicinquiry.org/topeka the upper decks around the mast were caused by the force of the impact on the bottom. Popular belief is the stern imploded, no it didn't. The only implosion damage is the collapsed starboard half of the decks below where the well deck used to be, and a part of the well deck is jammed between a compartment wall and the collapsed decks. The main damage to the stern was due to the breakup, very violent. More can be explained at http://home.flash.net/~rfm/index/contents.html .