The Last Boat But One

Apr 15, 2012
Oslo
Bruce Ismay did what was correct, as the boat was lowered with empty seats he was in his full right to enter, no one had to give up his seat in order to let him in. Also time was running out, to seek for for any passengers elsewhere on the boatdeck would just have delayed the lifeboat to get clear of the sinking ship. It is worse that boats on the port side were lowered away half full by Mr. Lightoller, with passengers denied boarding just becuse they were men.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
i agree completely. There is no evidence whatsoever that Ismay or William Carter denied other people place s in Collapsible C to may way for themselves. Everyone has a right to save themselves as long as it is not at the expense of others. If #C was about to be lowered with still unoccupied places, anyone in the vicinity can take those places. It is not up to them to check why there were spaces left; in any case, Ismay is supposed to have checked that there were no waiting women and children in the vicinity before entering the lifeboat.

Lightoller's actions on the port side never made any sense to me. I have never believed that his actions should be considered as a yardstick of w an officer should react under those circumstances. Murdoch at least used some common sense and it would be interesting to know how many male survivors owe their lives to him.

To my dying day I'll be convinced that Charles Lightoller always planned and expected to save himself. No matter who tries to convince me otherwise, I'll never believe that he would have gone down with the ship. Ever since I read about him in 1985, I am convinced that he was a born survivor.

Reactions: 1 user