The last crew member to have passed away

D

Dennis Foley

Does anyone know which crew member died most recently? Whom and when? Thanks and Happy New Year all! Dennis

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I believe that was Sidney Daniels, who died in 1983 aged 89. On Titanic he was an 18-year old steward in 3rd Class, and survived by swimming to the upturned Collapsible B.

F

Filipe Prista Lucas Rodrigues Lopes

I believe it was Violet Jessop (1974), but am not sure on this...

Regards,

Filipe

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Well, I read in the Weekly World News that Cap'n Smith was really a woman, but Frank Prentice too? It's all coming out now. Seriously, we don't know in all cases how long the women lived, so Darren's question is difficult to answer. I agree that the latest known date of death was probably Violet Jessop (actually 1971). The same goes for the men - Daniels' death was the last that we know about.

Mar 10, 1998
Hey Darren,
Mabel Bennett was the last surviving female crew member. A couple of years ago at the BTS convention, they auctioned her red coat that she wore into the lifeboat. I thought it would go for some huge sum so didn't bother to register for the auction. It didn't sell at all as no one bid more than $1,500 for it but I later heard that it sold for just over $2,000. Am soooo sorry I didn't go for it as I would have paid the $2,000 in a heartbeat.

Phil

F

Sorry for the 1974 mistake. Had no idea that Mrs. Mabel Bennett was the last female crew survivor but am surprised to know that yet another survivor has reached the 90-year old mark. Isnt it amazing how many survivors out of a group of 712 reached such age?

F

Btw, Phillip (hoping that I catch your attention here), please do confirm your address by email, as the documentation you asked for is ready and packed to go.

Sep 26, 1999
Thanks Phil for that very interesting information. It would be interesting to know just how many articles of clothing are still around that belonged to survivors. Didn't Edith Russell's clothing that she wore the night of the sinking get stolen in later years?