The latest issue of TI's 'Voyage' focuces on the Big Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
The latest issue of Titanic International Society's journal "Voyage" has conciderable coverage on "The Big Piece".
Excellent issue....
Its hard to beleive its been 5 years since the Big Piece was raised and brought to Boston...

Soon we will be at the 5 year anniversary of the sounding of Titanic's whistles in St. Paul.

My oh my, how times flies.....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Especially considering that in 20 Months, we will be observing the 20th Anniversary of Titanic's discovery, on September 1, 1985.

D

Dave Tuttle

Or, more correctly, it focuses on the "big pieces"! Once raised and in RMSTI's possession, the infighting began. With TWO travelling exhibits, how would they share the big piece? So, the hull section got toted back and forth every couple of weeks. Then, RMSTI announces the necessity of cutting the piece in two due to its size causing transportation difficulties. But, wait!!! With it cut in two, there was no longer a need to transport it back and forth as much. AMAZING!!! So much for ethics and preservation.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
<snort> What ethics???
smoke.gif

D

Dave Tuttle

It's kind of relative. How "big" was it? Multiply by two?

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
The little bit of the "big piece" was the underneath section. If you look at the big piece, there was a smaller section with a vertical row of rivet holes, making the whole hull fragment look like an L-shape. That small piece is what we got in London.

Still weighed enough for them to have to reinforce the floor.

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Paul wrote: "That small piece is what we got in London." And a big little piece it was, too! Fascinated, I spent considerable time in awe before it. I could imagine myself 'curator' of just one of those rivets. (Only until I was invited to contribute it to my imagined 'Titanic100' Exhibition at Greenwich in 2012, of course.) Amazingly, I was allowed to take home one of the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.