The maids secretaries nurses chauffeurs and manservants

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi All,

All the female staff members of the passengers were saved. Most of them with their employers. Some of the male staff members had left the ship too. But most of them died.

I have some questions about the staff members who were rescued. What became of them after the disaster. Some of them stayed with there employers. But others did not. Miss Sarah Daniels, Miss Alice Cleaver, Miss Mildrid Brown and Miss Ellen Bird, were saved but their employers not.

Which ones stayed with their employers. I know Miss Victorine Chaudonson and Miss Margeret Flemming Stayed with their employers. About the age of Miss Flemming she seems to be a mysterious woman, because it seems nobody knows how old she was at the time.

From the male servants I think only two of them left Titanic with the boats, all the others died.

Did any of the servants left an acount about what happend that night?

Regards,

Hildo
happy.gif

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hildo,
Margaret Fleming was 40 years old at the time of the sinking. Her death certificate does not give the exact date of her birth nor is there a monument/marker at her grave. She is buried with her parents and some siblings who died in childhood.

Phillip

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Hildo,

In some cases, as with Mr. Richard Fry and Mr. William Harrison, the employer was rescued and the servants perished. Mr. Fry and Mr. Harrison were both the personal servants of Mr. J. Bruce Ismay. While the two servants died in the sinking, Ismay himself was saved.

As for Miss Alice Cleaver, by entering boat 11, she saved both herself and the Hudson J. Allison's baby, Trevor. However, the Allisons did not know that Cleaver had gotten herself and the baby to safety. Thus, they wandered the ship looking for little Trevor, and in the end both parents and their young daughter died. The only members of their party to be rescued were baby Trevor, Miss Cleaver, Miss Brown and Miss Daniels.

As for the ones who stayed with their employers, Mr. Benjamin Guggenheim's personal valet (I can't think of his name), went down with the ship along with his employer.

I'm absolutely posotive that many of the servants who survived gave good, in-depth accounts, and if I can prove this, I will post it here.

-Brandon

Apr 22, 2012
Hildo,

Miss Ellen Bird went on to work for the family of Frederic Spedden, who was also onboard the Titanic, and who had also been in Europe that January, just like the Strauses. Even stranger, he had taken the Amerika to Europe, just as the Strauses had. Miss Ellen Bird later married, but died childless, I believe in Massachusetes, in 1949.

-Brandon

Apr 22, 2012
Hildo,

Miss Ellen Bird went on to work for the family of fellow Titanic survivor Frederic Spedden. She married, but died childless, in 1949.

-Brandon

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Phillip and Brandon,

Thanks for the information. Phillip, thanks for the information about the age of Miss Flemming. The age of Miss Flemming was one of the few which I not had.

Brandon, the name of the manservant of Mr. Guggenheim was Victor Giglio. Also the chauffeur of Mr. Guggenheim died that night.

The male servants of the Carter family stayed on Titanic and died, while Mr. Carter left Titanic with Mr. Ismay in Boat C. So both men were rescued, but four servants died.

Regards,

Hildo

May 12, 2005
Hildo,

Although not a personal servant (as is often supposed) it might interest you to know a bit about Lucy, Lady Duff Gordon's secretary/companion Laura Mabel Francatelli, nicknamed "Franks," who remained in her employ till about 1920.

At the time of the disaster to the Titanic "Franks" was serving in the capacity of "business secretary to Lady Duff Gordon," being listed as such on a Lucile, Ltd payroll account for 1911.

During the First World War in New York, Franks was personally employed by Lucy as her live-in social secretary, having exchanged positions with one Ruby Sutton, who took over as business secretary.

Franks remained in close contact with Lucy and, following the latter's death, stayed in touch with her daughter and grandchildren until her own death some years later.

Randy

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the information, about Miss Laura Mabel Francatelli.

Miss Francatelli's sister was employed by Lady Duff Gordon too, isn't it?

Regards,

Hildo

J

Jim Trebowski

Here's a bit of juicy gossip! The "real love story of Titanic" was the affair between Roberta Maioni (The Countess of Rothes' maid) and a steward, but we don't know who he was...anybody got the scoop? Also..she wrote a poem about the sinking that was auctioned off in Wiltshire in 1999. Where can we get the text? Warmest Regards, Jim

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Jim,

Juicy Gossip! It's was no new information. But it was very good to name it. But who was the steward, that is a good question!
What I have understand that he did not survive.

Regards,

Hildo

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi,

Another question, does any one know which steward served Miss Hedwig Marguerite Frolicher. He who put the lifepreserver in her cabin at the begin of the journey and told her that she never have to wear it! And did this steward survive?

Regards,

Hildo

May 12, 2005
Hildo,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I scrolled up and saw your question just now.

Yes, Laura's sister was Phyllis Francatelli, one of Lucile's top models. I have many magazine pictures of this lovely girl wearing Lucile's latest. She also modeled for Lucile in the newsreels, appeared in the Ziegfeld Follies, and in at least one feature film. She looked like the proverbial Dresden doll, almost unreal looking she was so pretty.

Phyllis wed Jesse Frank, a Wall Street tycoon, in the 1920s and moved with him to London where she lived out her life. She survived her older sister Laura by only a few years.

I don't know if you know Kalman Tanito. He is a Titanic researcher from Finland though he lives now in Hungary. A very good friend of mine. He has Lucile's own copy of her memoirs which had been given to Phyllis Francatelli. The book bears Lucile's inscription as well as a bookplate with Jesse Frank's exlibris.

A Titanic-related story about Phyllis is that when news of the wreck came, she was showing clothes with the other girls at Lucile's in Hanover Square. The first news was cheering. But as the day wore on, things looked bleak. In several papers the Duff Gordons were even listed as drowned. Theirs and Laura's name finally came in as saved but Phyllis had been so distraught she'd been prevailed upon to go home and rest. It was there that friends rushed in to tell her that her sister had been rescued.

Randy

Hildo Thiel

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the message. Intresting story about Phyllis Fracatelli. I think many more families waited for news about their loved ones.

About your question about Kalman Tanito. I don't know him.

Regards,

Hildo
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif