The Main Cherub on Titanic & Olympic?

J Cuningham

Oct 26, 2012
Hello, I am currently trying to research the larger/main Cherubs that sat on the base of the Grand Staircase landings on both the Titanic and the Olympic and I was basically wondering if anyone here can help with some info or high resolution images or anything about who made these etc?

I have so far searched Google for any images and have the normal few that are already available to the general public. I have also consulted the artist who drew the one for the movie sculptor and have also found enough info on the 1997 movie version (which is fairly accurate but lacks some detailing).

I am also aware that RMST Inc have recovered one but I should note they have NOT recovered one of the larger ones I am researching. The one they recovered is of a different design and a lot smaller than the main ones, however I believe they have recovered the base of one of the larger Cherubs.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated either publicly through here or privately via PM or Email.

pipeorganest

Apr 16, 2012
United States
Hello. Yes, you are right about the "putti" recovered from Titanic in 1987 and yes, the base of the A-deck larger cherub was recovered in 2000. Apparently there is a pic of the base in the book journey to titanic" but i do not know of any other pictures... as a matter of fact... i am looking for the pic of the base... i have not seen one myself yet. Since it is thought that there are actually no real pictures of Titanic Actual staircase... this is very hard to be accurate as far as Titanic. the olympic however, is a whole different story since all the pics were taken on her. The smaller "Putti" recovered from Titanic is thought to be from the bannisters on each side of the aft grand staircase on C-deck... which is one of the puzzling clues about the titanic grand staircases. It seems like the putti is a whole different "style of cherub" than on olympic, this is brought up by this photo of the Olympics Front Grand staircase on C-Deck as shown below with the other pictures. Smaller cherubs are on each side of the staircase as seen. Before this photo surfaced... people didn't even know and in some cases think that there were cherubs on the C-Deck and B-deck landings. This supports the talk of the putti coming from the aft C-deck landing. If u look Closely, it seems a Dead-on match with the putti from titanic. however... there is plenty of details and not showing details that are missing or not visible from either the cherubs on C-deck and the putti. As for the Base of the bigger one, the base would have had to come from either the front A-deck landing or the aft B-deck landing... I cant say for sure because i haven't seen it yet... and unless there is a picture from Harland and Wolff stating that the picture is ship 401's 1st class staircase A-deck... really nobody can, we can just assume. the pictures of cherubs in color below are props from the 1997 movie, there is a pic of the small putti being help just to give you an idea in size on how big it is, and a link from Harland and wolff on ship 400 of the "balestrade and bronze figure" from the aft grand staircase that u can Zoom in on by clicking the magnify glass under the picture. I hope this information was helpful and if u need anything else PM me... i have spent going on 4 yrs. being obsessed with the cherubs from Titanic, Olympic, and even my favorite of the 3, Britannic (u should know y from my username) LOL Also incase u didn't know, it is thought that like on olympic, the front A-deck GSC's cherub faced port, while the aft B-deck cherub faced starboard. Britannic's faced starboard~Richie Harland and Wolff Images, Belfast
cherub-light-fixture-titanic (1).jpg

cherub-light-fixture-titanic (1).jpg

pipeorganest

Apr 16, 2012
United States
I just found a picture of the front grand staircase cherubs base... it took me 15 hours straight. If the large cherubs were identically the same as olympics on titanic, this would have been the front GSC A-deck landing cherub because it's left foot is out farther than its right foot.
FOR CHERUB BASE.jpg

FOR CHERUB BASE.jpg