The missing THS plaque on the stern

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
The THS website has mentioned that their plaque, placed on the stern by Dr.Ballard in 1986 is missing....has it ever been found? When was the last time it was seen?
I recall watching Ghosts of the Abyss and thinking that it looked like the poop deck was angled downwards, perhaps due to detioration over the years....I suppose the plaque might have fallen off, but it would have been seen, surely?

Does anyone have any further ideas?

Best wishes

Paul

Feb 14, 2011
The plaque on the poop deck was placed so close to the edge, i think it simply slipped over the edge...

regards

tarn Stephanos

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
It wouldn't be an easy thing to spot if it slipped off the deck and into the ocean floor in a pretty hazardous area for diving to begin with.

I sincerely hope that THS isn't buying into the certain theories of a certain departed gent as their theory for what happened to it.

Mark Taylor

Mar 18, 2005
Eric Paddon wrote:

"I sincerely hope that THS isn't buying into the certain theories of a certain departed gent as their theory for what happened to it."

I sincerely doubt it. I spoke with Arnie Geller (and others) to get on the record their response to that certain departed person's claims. They emphatically reject it!

Jan 29, 2001
Having no disrepect for the dead. The certain indidual was infamous for spreading heresay, and running rampant with rumors bearing no concrete fact.

Enough said.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Robert Berg

Jan 2, 2005
Can anyone explain (leaving names out if necessary) what was "theory" of the "departed gent" as to what happened to the plaque? I think I have an idea, but don't want to assume anything.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
The theory of the departed gent was that a Tulloch expedition purposefully stole the plaque off the stern and gave it to Charlie Haas so he could spite the THS, which he had left on bad terms.

This was just one of many strange theories from this departed gent down through the years. But I would only prefer to share them in private with others.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
The "missing" plaque was photographed as a part of the mosaic produced by RMS Titanic and George Tulloch in 1998. If you have access to the "Titanic Science" exhibit, it can be easily seen without any optical assistance. There have been many accusations about the plaque, but, if the plaque was truly missing, it was after 1998.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Strangely, I enhanced this RMS Titanic, Inc mosaic and saw no sign of the THS plaque. I also saw no sign of it on the large mosaic at the Science Museum, when I worked on their Titanic exhibit 4 years ago.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Hi Paul,
I, too, worked a Titanic Science exhibition and pointed out the plaque to many people who wanted to see the mosaic's detail. It was on a capstan.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Well, next to a fairlead roller. The one of the bow section was on a capstan. I posted an enhanced view of the stern section on an ET thread, but I can't seem to find it now.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
By the way, the THS plaque was on the stern; the Explorers Club plaque was on the bow, on a capstan; this can be seen on the National Geogrpahic mosaic a few years ago I think.

-- http://www.paullee.com