The most accurate portrayal of Mr Andrews in the movies?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi all,

Fan, if I remember correctly (and that's always a dangerous opening to a sentence!) I believe some actual footage of the Titanic wreck was shot for the 1997 James Cameron film, and he then wanted to return to the wreck and explore her more thoroughly, which in turn led to the creation of Ghosts Of The Abyss.

By the way, I see you're from Czechoslovakia, and that's pretty cool.....visiting Prague is on my bucket list. :)

As for actors in older Titanic films, does anyone have a rough idea of the cast members who are still alive from ANTR? They must be thinning out now. I know Robert Wagner is still alive from the 1953 film but can't think of too many others off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Adam.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
As for actors in older Titanic films, does anyone have a rough idea of the cast members who are still alive from ANTR? They must be thinning out now. I know Robert Wagner is still alive from the 1953 film but can't think of too many others off the top of my head.
The best known must be Honor Blackman (Mrs Lucas) and David McCallum (Harold Bride), both of whom are, I think, still alive. Also Mary Monahan who played "Kate" and Gerald Harper, who played an officer on the Carpathia.

Apr 18, 2014
Czech Republic
Hi all,

Fan, if I remember correctly (and that's always a dangerous opening to a sentence!) I believe some actual footage of the Titanic wreck was shot for the 1997 James Cameron film, and he then wanted to return to the wreck and explore her more thoroughly, which in turn led to the creation of Ghosts Of The Abyss.

By the way, I see you're from Czechoslovakia, and that's pretty cool.....visiting Prague is on my bucket list. :)

Cheers,
Adam.
Hi Adam. Am glad Prague is on your bucket list :) I can tell ya it is the most beautiful town in the world:) I will find out which ANTR cast members are still alive, if you want.... For example Bernard Fox(*1927), who played Fred Fleet in ANTR and Colonel Gracie in the 1997 movie....

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi all,

Stanley:

Thanks for that. Are they still working in the film industry or given it away? They must be fairly old by now but hey, Betty White gives us all hope. :-D

Fan:

Prague certainly looks like a beautiful place. Now I just need to learn Czech and i'll be right to go, haha!

Bernard Fox, good example. David Warner (who shares his name with the current opening batsman for the Australian cricket team, as a piece of useless incidental information) also featured in both "S.O.S. Titanic" in 1979 and James Cameron's 1997 film.

Cheers,
Adam.

Athena

Oct 31, 2012
St Petersburg, Russia
It's a tricky question, indeed, because a lot depends not only on the actor, but on the director and on the screenplay.

I watched a lot of Titanic-related movies and TV series, and I like Michael Goodliffe and Victor Garber most of all, they're both fine actors, and they both portrayed Andrews splendidly. But I definitely like the way Andrews is shown in ANTR more than the way he is shown in Cameron's movie, because ANTR shows him more as the builder of the Titanic and cares to explain why he was sailing with the ship on her maiden voyage, whereas in Cameron's movie he mostly entertains first-class passengers. (On a side-note: the more I learn about the Titanic, the more I like ANTR and the less Cameron's movie :))

All things considered, I vote for Michael Goodliffe! (May he rest in peace.)

Apr 18, 2014
Czech Republic
I agree with ANTR being the most accurate one. But, I think Garber was portraying the emotions Mr Andrews must have felt that night in a very good way. And, Garber himself said in an 2012 interview, that he was entranced by ANTR:)It doesnt mean I didnt like Goodlife. Some acts of Mr Andrews, being portrayed in the 1958 movie should have been portrayed in the 1997 movie as well. I like ANTR as film and Victor Garber as actor of Mr.Andrews. Do you think if there were another Titanic TV series, there should be more emphasis on the acts of Mr.Andrews that night?

Gene Salvitti

Jul 22, 2017
I have SOS Titanic made in 1979, with David Janssen as Col. Astor, and the man who portrayed Thomas Andrews did a bang up job.

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
I agree with ANTR being the most accurate one. But, I think Garber was portraying the emotions Mr Andrews must have felt that night in a very good way. And, Garber himself said in an 2012 interview, that he was entranced by ANTR:)It doesnt mean I didnt like Goodlife. Some acts of Mr Andrews, being portrayed in the 1958 movie should have been portrayed in the 1997 movie as well. I like ANTR as film and Victor Garber as actor of Mr.Andrews. Do you think if there were another Titanic TV series, there should be more emphasis on the acts of Mr.Andrews that night?
Definitely. I wish they could recreate his interaction with crew members and him getting passengers into the lifeboats more.

A

Aaron_2016

SOS Titanic is my favourite Titanic film. I thought Geoffrey Whitehead did a marvellous performance of Thomas Andrews, although he should have had an Ulster accent and he also wrongly pronounced his home town Comber in the film. He pronounced it as coo-mber when it is really pronounced as cumber (as in cucumber). Only a little thing, but I used to live there.