THE MOST FAMOUS TITANIC PUB IN SOUTHAMPTON

• Thread starter Anthony Charles Givelin Paine
  • Start date
A

Anthony Charles Givelin Paine

I recently departed on a cruise from Southampton. Although i had visited the city on a number of occaisons i never had chance to visit 'The Grapes'( world renowned Titanic Pub).
I was taking some video shots of the pub from the outside when the 'landlord'noticed me and invited me in. He gave me a coffee and showed me round this fascinating building. The pub was a favourite haunt of crew from the numerous ships and liners in Southampton including many of the Titanic crew.The landlord lived across the road in the old 'Southwestern Hotel'( now luxuory flats). He told me that he was having the upstairs bedrooms renovated includind four poster beds which will be named after the Titanics officers. The cost per night would be around 40 pounds for accomodation.
If you are in Southampton it's certainly worth visiting. Records show that the 'Grapes' first became a pub in 1885.Although not up and running at the moment the website will be- www.grapesinn.com. I was made very welcome and thorougly enjoyed my stay.A large amount of Titanic memorabilia decorate the pub.
Kind regards
Anthony.

May 8, 2001
Thank you for posting that Anthony. Great to see that the landlord is so enthusiastic towards interested parties.
Colleen

A

Andrew Williams

Hi Anthony!

I know the 'Grapes' off the back of my hand.

I wonder if you knew this Anthony. Just further on up in Oxford Street is the old Sailor's Home which housed quite a few of the Crew before boarding Titanic on that Wednesday morning.

Andrew W.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
I was in Southamptom 2 years ago.
What I did was make it a point to stop off at The Grapes, to have a glass of wine (yes, I figured it was a fitting tribute, to the name of the pub).

Anyway, on a chalkboard was the quotation, in "Titanic Voices", about the famous/infamous visit by the Slate brothers.

In July, I'll be in England. I should take a day trip, from London, to Southampton, if nothing else to see some of the places I missed earlier.

Anyway, for a future trip, I will have to spend at least one night at the Grapes Rooms.

Thank you, Anthony, for this information.

John Clifford

A

Andrew,
Thank you for the information.The landlord of the 'Grapes' as i mentioned, lives in the 'Old Southwestern Hotel'. He offered to show me around if i came back later but we had to get on the ship. He mentioned ( may have got it wrong) that there is the 'grand staircase' ? from the Olympic, inside the building.
kind regards,
Anthony

H

H. Katherine

Another places on my list of places to visit in southampton. I have a friend who lives there so i shall ask her about any other (unobvious) places to visit.
happy.gif

A

Andrew Williams

Anthony, John, Jason and H.Katherine,

Depending on the dates and what historical places you wish to visit, I can act as a tour guide and point you in the right direction.

Andrew W.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for your offer. I'll be in Southampton on July 20, but just for the day. I'll be with the THS, since we are having our convention in Ireland and our last stop before we board the QE2 is Southampton. We will be taking a Titanic tour around Southampton, but I'm sure of all the sites that we will be visiting.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Andrew.

In July, I will be in London two separate times, for a few days after I arrive (July 7th -10th), then from the 24th - 26th (I fly back to LA at 11:30 AM on July 27th).

A trip to Southampton, for me, would be either July 9th, or 25th (I will be taking the Brit-Rail, in to London, on July 24th).

I can do either the 9th or 25th (the 26th would be "Last Day in London"). Just let me know what times the trains arrive, from London's Waterloo Station. We can work something out.

John Clifford

H

H. Katherine

Thanks for the kind offer Andrew, but most annoyingly I can't see getting away in the near future.
Thanks again for the offer.
Regards, Katherine

A

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for the personal message. I did reply but my message was returned. I do not know when i will be in Southampton again but would certainly wish to take up your offer. I have found, although it may be me, that the Tourist office information is not very good on 'Titanic' sites etc.The first time i went to Southampton was when i went on my very first cruise. We were students at the time and left from London on the ' boat train'which took us directly to the dock. The ship was the original Oriana and that was 1978. I don't know when the 'boat train' was discontinued.
Have a good Golden Jubilee Bank Holiday.
Kind regards,
Anthony.

A

Andrew Williams

John,

I have tried e-mailing you this afternoon only to be informed by the U.S Postmaster that there is a fault with your server.

I have checked all the dates available, and the only date free and suitable for me to give a little guided tour around Southampton, would be the 9th July.

Please confirm whether this date is acceptable?

Anthony,

Sorry for the inconvenice I have just finished sending you an e-mail on my our server address.

Jason,

I would love to know what's on the agenda for the THS's Southampton tour guide. I am in the middle of transferring all monies from my accout to become a first time member with the THS.

Katherine,

One day your have that golden opportunity to visit without any worries.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Andrew,

According to the itinerary from the THS, we will be visiting "White Star related sites and memorials including newly discovered sites that have never been included on previous tours." We will also be seeing the South Western Hotel, boat train from London's terminus and former railway station.

We will be having lunch at the Duke of Wellington, and hopefully Millvina Dean will join us!!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

A

Alex McLean

G'day,
I was in Southampton a few weeks ago for Titanic's 90th, and even though I went to The Grapes with my family and some distant reletives, I did not realise where I had seen it before until I got back to Australia (I have a picture of it in relation to the titanic somewhere in my collection). I was so annoyed that I didn't realise it sooner and had've been able to talk to some of the people there who were talking about the Titanic and the pub (at the time, I had forgotten the whole connection).
But, it was still nice to say I had been there, on the 9th of April too at the time when many a sailor for the Titanic would have come in for a drink some 90 years before to the day.
Must go back for it's 100th ^_^
Alex