The most handsome men on Titanic?

A

Anthony Cunningham

We have a very interesting thread about the most beautiful women on board Titanic. What about the men? Who were the most handsome?

deegarretson

deegarretson

I'll put in a vote for Arthur Paintin. There's a picture of him in Titanic Voices. So many of the men had the moustaches that were popular at the time and I'm not a fan of moustaches, so the ones with them are automatically disqualified in my choices.

R

robert warren

Most handsome, lets see....my picks are Daniel Marvin, Quigg Baxter, Lucian Smith, Norris Williams Jr,Victor Penasco,Mark Fortune, Neil McNamee, Christopher Head as well as a number of crew members.James Hesketh was good looking as well as most the Restaurant wait staff.I recommend the books Titanic Women and Children First, and Titanic Triumph and Tragedy to get a look at some of these men.

R

robert warren

Actually Jack Philips was nice looking too, as well as Harold Lowe.

Georges Guay

Georges Guay

B9cc8310

A

Aly Jones

The men who worked the bridge of cause: those officers.
No men could ever beat them considering they wore uniforms. Also part of the bridge section, I will say say jack Phillips. All great looking men.

A

Aly Jones

I'll put in a vote for Arthur Paintin. There's a picture of him in Titanic Voices. So many of the men had the moustaches that were popular at the time and I'm not a fan of moustaches, so the ones with them are automatically disqualified in my choices.
Agreed. Not a fan of beards and moustaches.

Tim Gerard

Tim Gerard

Well there was this one penniless 3rd class American passenger from Wisconsin who must have been very handsome. He got a 1st class girl to basically ditch her very wealthy fiancè for him. He was supposed to have been a decent sketch-artist if I'm not mistaken. :p

Beth Lindley Putnam

Beth Lindley Putnam

Most handsome, lets see....my picks are Daniel Marvin, Quigg Baxter, Lucian Smith, Norris Williams Jr,Victor Penasco,Mark Fortune, Neil McNamee, Christopher Head as well as a number of crew members.James Hesketh was good looking as well as most the Restaurant wait staff.I recommend the books Titanic Women and Children First, and Titanic Triumph and Tragedy to get a look at some of these men.
Daniel Marvin was my 4th grt cousin. Yes, he was a looker!

B

Brian Ahern

All of those mentioned. Also:
Charles Fortune (very attractive family)
Will Moyes
Johann Andersson
Minko Vulchev
George Harder
Stanley Fox
William Hull Botsford
Thomas Pears
Thomas Morrow
Chief Officer Wilde
Officer Moody
Thomas Andrews
Charles Joseph Shorney
Henry Holman
Roger Tobin
Stanley Fox
Joseph Laroche
Leopold Maskell
Adolph Dyker
Jack Prideaux (as in the case of Will Moyes, newspapers commented on his fine physique)
John Richard Jago Smith
Thomas McCaffrey
Fahīm Rūḥānā al-Za'innī

No this isn't off the top of my head. I once helped out with a Titanic "historical hotties" list on the anniversary of the sinking.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I don't know if he was handsome, but if success with the ladies was any yardstick, Robert Williams Daniel is supposed to have had plenty of conquests. Even his relatives and descendants have admitted that he used to "entertain" a lot of young ladies in his time.

B

Brian Ahern

I actually thought of him, but decided to leave him off the list. He appears nice-looking enough, but my sense is his appeal was -- as you indicate -- more personal charisma and a certain debonair quality.

Kate Offerty

Kate Offerty

I think Lightoller was a very striking man. Andrews was also handsome, particularly in this jaw-dropping photo from his younger years! And both have personality appeal in their own ways. I also think Boxhall had such elegant features, well-suited to common standards of attractiveness at the time... I can see why female passengers supposedly often took an interest in him on board!

Attachments

• a148f17868dec51eb3835a5dd80de75b.png
    a148f17868dec51eb3835a5dd80de75b.png
    771.5 KB · Views: 78
  • thomas_andrews_cricket_500.jpeg
    thomas_andrews_cricket_500.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Boxhall_undated.jpeg
    Boxhall_undated.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 58
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

He appears nice-looking enough, but my sense is his appeal was -- as you indicate -- more personal charisma and a certain debonair quality.
I bet a lot of men wish they had whatever "it" was that Daniel possessed.

I have a friend who in his younger years (and from what I heard even into middle age) had that kind of appeal with the ladies. He wasn't what one would call "conventionally handsome", was of limited means in his younger days but has a kind of easy charm that somehow brought him a lot of success over the years. I recall on one occasion he tripped over a young lady's handbag while returning from the Men's Room of a posh restaurant and then spent almost 20 minutes chatting her up. She was sitting in a group and his wife, part of our table, was less than 10 yards away.
Andrews was also handsome, particularly in this jaw-dropping photo from his younger years!
I did not know Andrews had a moustache in his youth. IMO he looks better clean shaven but that's only a fellow man's opinion.