The Most Haunted Liner in the World

Jun 12, 2004
The Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA is known to be the most haunted liner in the world. Several stories have been shared by those who have visited the ship and encountered paranormal activity. With Halloween coming up, perhaps entertaining this issue might be both fun and educational. What are your thoughts on this?

(Is there another thread covering the haunts of Queen Mary? If so, I can't find it, sorry. Anyway . . .)

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
There are sooooo many "haunted" videos of the Queen Mary on YouTube - it's not even funny.

I have been aboard the Queen Mary twice (at Long Beach), and both times took tours deep into the ship. I must say, I did feel rather queer. Whether this was the power of suggestion, or simply just the way I am, I don't know.
queasy.gif

While certainly very excited to be present where it all once was, I couldn't help but feel that there was more there than what my eyes immediately beheld - in some areas more than others.

The second time I visited was just this past January. There were very few people around, and I got to be alone in (what I think was either the) third or second class lounge. I forget which it was because the maps they provide are useless and I wasn't using one anyway. I was just wandering.

The room was empty and I felt very cold there (many explanations for the cold I'm sure). I felt like something was trying to impart itself to me (again-could just be me being weird), something along the lines of sadness and hostility. It was odd, and I wanted to leave that room right away. I did so. The first-class swimming pool was also a place where I felt very strange - and NOT because I was on the electronically created ghost tour.

In all of these places I could envision past passengers strolling around, using the ship's facilities. I felt as though I wasn't dressed properly, although I was dressed respectfully enough. It gave me a sense of having a real glimpse into the past since so much of it is still there.

I do not dismiss the possibility of the existence of paranormal activities, but I must have proof. Regardless, there is enough background on the Queen Mary to keep ghost hunters busy for some time. Anyone have any personal experiences / stories?

[Moderator's note: This post and the one above it, were posted in a separate topic, but have been moved to the one which is discussing the same subject. JDT]

Jun 12, 2004
Msn.com quizzes has a haunted location quiz. The Queen Mary in Long Beach, California is considered the most haunted liner in the world.

Everybody's heard the many stories of the paranormal that have surrounded her for over years from those visitors who have encountered strange and inexplicable happenings, including apparition observation. These stories still circulate today.

Since Halloween is approaching, I though it might seem interesting to entertain the subject. If this is already on here somewhere, I didn't see it, so I thought I'd post.

What are your thoughts? Any stories you want to share?

Jason Schleisman, if you had responded to the post on this that I left earlier, somehow it disappeared. If you wish, please respond again.

Take care

May 27, 2007
Howdy Mark,

This sounds fun. I don't know how many times I watched something about the Queen Mary on Ghost Hunters or Most Haunted. I always wondered about the Flying Dutchman and other <font color="ffffff">Phantom <font color="808080">Ships myself.

What did happen to Jason's Post. I remember seeing it and thinking it was interesting.
Jason please re-post what you posted because I thought it was a good story. At least you got to go on the Queen Mary.
happy.gif
I bet that was fun and interesting. <font color="ffffff">Spooky <font color="808080">too?

Feb 4, 2007
Ah! I found it! A poltergeist has been having us on.
evil.gif

I shall re-post it here with a few new amendments:

There are sooooo many "haunted" videos of the Queen Mary on YouTube - it's not even funny.

I have been aboard the Queen Mary twice (at Long Beach), and both times took tours deep into the ship. I must say, I did feel rather queer. Whether this was the power of suggestion, or simply just the way I am, I don't know.
grin.gif

While certainly very excited to be present where it all once was, I couldn't help but feel that there was more there than what my eyes immediately beheld - in some areas of the ship more than others.

The second time I visited the QM was just this past January. There were very few people around, and among other places, I got to be alone in the original Second-Class Lounge. The maps they provide on the ship are quite useless and I wasn't using one. I found it by just wandering around.

The room was empty and I felt very cold there (many explanations for the cold I'm sure). Looking around the walls at the original paintings, I felt like something was trying to impart itself to me (again-could just be me being weird), something along the lines of sadness and hostility. It was odd, and I wanted to leave that room right away. I did so.

The first-class swimming pool was also a place where I felt very strange - and NOT because I was on the electronically-created ghost tour. It just seemed so.....morbid. The facility itself was once magnificent and is still quite impressive, but now it is empty, empty. No water, the bottom of the pool is deep and scary looking.

The bridge was one other place I felt quite strongly about. It seemed very alive to me, and I could almost hear the officers speaking to each other. Oddly enough, I felt more a sense of the tension WWII must have created for the officers, knowing that at any moment they could be torpedoed.

In all of these places I could envision past passengers strolling around, using the ship's facilities. I felt as though I wasn't dressed properly, although I was dressed respectfully enough. It gave me a sense of having a real glimpse into the past since so much of it is still there.

I do not dismiss the possibility of the existence of paranormal activities, but I must have proof. Regardless, there is enough background on the Queen Mary to keep ghost hunters busy for some time. Anyone have any personal experiences / stories?

Mar 3, 1998
I've been aboard the Queen Mary more times than I can count. I was married in her chapel. My daughter spent her first night away from home aboard her. I have climbed all over the ship, sticking my nose in places I shouldn't have gone. I've made a special effort to visit the areas where paranormal events have been reported, some during the dead of night when the staff was off the ship or otherwise occupied elsewhere. I spent several hours one night alone in the first-class pool area.

I haven't witnessed anything unusual. I did, however, note several instances were the ship was not being maintained in accordance with the approved Maintenance Plan (a situation that put me at odds with the City Manager). I really wanted to see or feel something unusual, but I came up empty.

For these reasons, I am not the right person to answer your question.

Parks

Feb 4, 2007
quote:

I did, however, note several instances were the ship was not being maintained
Yes, it is sad. Overall, I feel the QM is a happy ship, but desperately needs maintenance and attention.

Again, just to make clear, my observations when aboard are perfectly explainable and attributable to my uncanny ability for vivid imagination.

Jun 12, 2004
Well, let us also consider that so many people have had strange experiences aboard the QM. This suggests to me to be more than merely the work of vivid imaginations. Supposedly, not everyone senses these things, but that doesn't mean that something of a paranormal nature isn't going on.

The bottom of the 1st-class pool was dark and scary-looking? Hmmm. This I've never heard before. Can you describe this in more detail, Jason, if you can remember?

Also, maybe you're a Sensitive, one of those people who can pick up things that not everyone can sense.

I've had similar experiences, although not on board the QM, so I am inclined to be open-minded regarding the paranormal. I respect science, even follow many studies (such as archeology, astronomy, biology, and anthropology), but I also believe in the possibility that certain things can exist beyond scientific explanation. I have an imagination, but I am very level-headed as well.

George -

The Flying Dutchman is indeed a legend, some might even say a myth, as far as haunts go. That's hard to claim as fact, though, when so many sightings have been made over the years (unless these reports were merely stories concocted to grab attention).

What stories do you have to share, George? Anything related to the QM? Ever been there?

What about the Ivan Vassili? I've never heard of this? What's the background story?

Jun 12, 2004
Parks -

It sounds as if the QM is sort of your home-away-from-home. Although you didn't sense anything strange yourself, what do you think of all the stories surrounding her?

Mar 3, 1998
Mark,

I think that the stories are interesting. Just because I haven't experienced anything unusual does not disprove the paranormal. I have never personally experienced the Eiffel Tower, but it would be foolish for me to claim that it doesn't exist (bad example, really...there is plenty of unambiguous evidence for the Eiffel Tower's existance, unlike the paranormal).

I have an casual interest in the paranormal, and even enjoy watching "Ghost Hunters" with my kids (GH is what the SciFi Channel calls a "docu-soap" and is not real science, but it's still fun). When I was crew aboard the USS Constellation (CV-64), I paid attention to the stories of a ghost down in freezer area (which doubled as the ship's morgue at times)...stories that were always related second-hand, never from direct experience. I have taken both my kids on many occasions to the Whaley House in Old Town San Diego in the hope of sensing something. And during my second wedding at the Hotel Del Coronado, a famous haunted room in the hotel supposedly went active during our reception and half our guests left the ballroom to go witness the distrubance. Nobody from our party saw anything, but I didn't sleep much on my wedding night because our honeymoon suite was just a few doors away from the supposedly haunted room. It's always easier to believe in ghosts at 2a in a rambling old hotel (The Shining, anyone?).

I have an inquisitive nature. It serves me well with Titanic, but it hasn't yet yielded any results in the realm of the paranormal. But I've still got my eyes open.

Parks

Feb 4, 2007
Mark, here is one version of the Ivan Vassili story:

http://www.underworldtales.com/ivan.htm

When I said the First-Class pool on the QM was "deep and scary looking", to me, it appeared just that. When I saw it this past January, the room was very dimly lit. It was quite dark, and the bottom of the pool is very deep. In fact, I was told that one of the reasons they do not fill the pool with water and actually allow people to use the room is because the pool is too deep for modern safety regulations. The first time I toured the QM was over 10 years ago, and at that time, the room was very well lit ~ but I remember having the same impression despite being light. The facility just doesn't seem like a positive place to me. Perhaps I felt that way because the empty pool looked like a dangerous, yawning chasm - which it now is. The slide just dropping off into nowhere. I found myself wondering what would happened during a voyage with the natural pitch and roll of the ship affecting the room. Surely people must have slipped and/or had less-than positive experiences there.

As for me being sensitive, well, maybe. I don't feel that I have ever experienced anything considered "paranormal" that wasn't explainable by natural means. Besides, I would be too frightened to allow myself to explore that part of me further.

Jul 12, 2003
Been to the QM many times. I like the ship and I enjoy exploring it and hearing all the stories (haunted or not). Sometimes I join other "ghost hunters" online and chat while watching the cam of the pool room. It's fun to watch the tourists go thru.

Feb 4, 2007
I've thought about it some more. Despite being the same color as the rest of the pool (sides, etc.) the bottom of the empty pool seemed darker -more shadowy- to me (despite lighting) on both occasions when I visited. I would not want to be down there. I had the distinct feeling that at least one person had drowned in the pool. I have not checked up on this, but am going to now. Could just be me making more out of what's not there.

The engine room is a place that a lot of people claim is haunted. I didn't feel that way. The mechanical areas are what I am referring to - not the boiler rooms. The boiler rooms are an entirely different monster. The boiler rooms are scary places simply because they are dark, cavernous, and intentionally created to be scary by the present owners.

Feb 4, 2007
Well, I've been looking online to find out more info about the pool on the QM and have found some interesting sites.

The Queen Mary Hotel itself really plays up their haunted history:

http://www.queenmary.com/index.php?page=ghostsandlegends

And here is a TV program about it. This must have been filmed some time ago because the fashions are dated and the pool is clean and filled with water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj4wbhgzUVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_kaXPIK90

Some pictures:

http://www.angelsghosts.com/haunted_queen_mary_ghost_picture.html

http://www.angelsghosts.com/queen_mary_ghost_cam_apparition_ghost_photos.html

http://www.angelsghosts.com/queen_mary_ghost_cam_apparition_ghost_picture.html

None of this proves anything though.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>'Mary Celeste', anyone?<<

Actually, the story of the Mary Celeste is one which, to put it politely, has improved in the telling. The best evidence from the real ship is that the crew took to the boat for some reason and was unable to make it back when the wind picked up and filled the sails.

The Mary Celeste was found, the crew was not. If any lesson is to be learned from this one, it's that your best chance for survival is to stay with the ship if you possibly can.

Feb 4, 2007
quote:

If any lesson is to be learned from this one, it's that your best chance for survival is to stay with the ship if you possibly can.

Uhm, really Michael? You mustn't mean this in general? I agree with your observation about the re-telling of the story. As with any story, the more often repeated the more embellished it becomes.