The Most Haunted Liner in the World

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Hi George, what I meant was that when I opened the QM Ghost Cam link, there was a frozen image dated Sept. 12 on that site - as if that was the last image taken before the camera died. I could be wrong. But I still couldn't get the thing to work.
sad.gif

Jun 12, 2004
Jason,

Sounds kind of peculiar, doesn't it? Hmmm. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to view it either, so I am visually disadvantaged as well.

May 27, 2007
It still won't work for me.
lol.gif
lol.gif
seems I didn't see the word same. In your post Jason. I just love <font color="ffff00">BLOND moments.

May 27, 2007
I was born <font color="ffff00">blond and when I got older and my hair darkened to light brown I went <font color="ffffff">bleach <font color="ffff00">blond and made a mistake at work and my boss saw and said
quote:

"Ah George, you dyed your hair to match your personality."
I darkened it a week later.
happy.gif

K

Kyle Johnstone

The "haunted" Queen Mary is a direct result of the Disney Co.'s ill-fated stewardship during the 1990's.

Doing what Disney does, they came up the the Ghosts & Legends Tour around 1991.

Making alterations to portions of the ship, and the City of Long Beach turning a blind eye, the Queen Mary became a floating version of Disney's Haunted Mansion.

The Queen Mary was in service from 1936-1967.
She of course experienced deaths on board, just as any passenger ship in service for any good length of time.

Disney took these normal reports of on-board deaths and created an attraction around them, with much fabrication and theatricality. This sensationalism opened up a Pandora's Box of ghost hunters and psychic's etc. when, prior, there was no such interest.

In those thirty-one years of Queen Mary's active service, every single day saw thousands of people on the ship, passengers and crew. Thousands. Every day. Much much more daily than since she arrived in Long Beach.
Where were the ghosts before then?

Seems these ghosts all showed up to put some $$$ in the pockets of Disney, and, other publicity-seeking characters.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Where were the ghosts before then?<<

On strike and holding out for a better deal?
wink.gif

>>Seems these ghosts all showed up to put some $$$ in the pockets of Disney, and, other publicity-seeking characters.<<

Given the overall track record for insolvancy on the part of all the outfits that have run the ship as an attraction, I can't say that this angle has really worked out all that well. I don't suppose anybody has tried to run down some of the ghost stories to see what their actual provanance is, have they?

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
quote:

I don't suppose anybody has tried to run down some of the ghost stories to see what their actual provanance is, have they?
Whether actual paranormal activity is true or not, most of the QM ghost stories, as I understand, are connected to real people who did really die aboard. The guy that was crushed by watertight door #13 (I think that's the correct door? - regardless, he really did get crushed) the two women who died in the first-class pool, etc.

K

Kyle Johnstone

Oh, don't mention "strike"! Nov. 1 may be a dark day out here. Nov. 1, being "The Day of the Dead" in some cultures by the way...

As far as "provanance" of the ghost stories, it is my understanding that none of these ghosts have been identified as any particular individual who died on the Queen Mary, with one sort-of exception.

A person identified as "John Pedder", an 18 y/o fireman died in an accident involving watertight door 13 during a drill. "John Pedder" is a name used for commercial purposes in marketing these stories. Apparently the person's estate sued to prevent the use of their family member in such a manner, so the name of the person was simply changed, "ghosthunters" using the "screen name". Said watertight door #13 having been removed from the ship during her "conversion", it no longer exists, but the Tour has gone ahead and stenciled "13" on an existing door anyway.
No deaths are recorded having anything to do with the ship's swimming pools, yet the first class pool is claimed to be a hot-spot for hauntings.
No children died on the Queen Mary, though hauntings include children. There is one recorded death of a new-born dying very shortly after birth during QM's WarBride crossings.

There were, I believe, 49 recorded deaths on the Queen Mary during her active service. And this included the war years. A very small number over 31 years and hundreds of thousands of passengers, crew and troops.

It is very easy for people to claim "experiences" "feelings" "sightings" or what have you, no proof is needed to make claims.

Again, none of this started until somebody in Long Beach needed some cash.
As you said Michael, even this hasn't helped the Ol Gal much.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>In those thirty-one years of Queen Mary's active service, every single day saw thousands of people on the ship, passengers and crew. Thousands. Every day. Much much more daily than since she arrived in Long Beach. Where were the ghosts before then?

They had a broader range of liners on which to cross, and so I am sure that they were distributed evenly between Italia, CGT, The U.S. Lines and HAL. As the other classic liners began to vanish, they were left with the option of spending eternity trapped aboard international jets, or switching over to the Queen Mary- and there the matter stands.
happy.gif

But, seriously, Kyle, why clutter up a good story with logic? When a psychic calls out the wrong name ~"John Pedder"~ in front of the wrong watertight door, who is to say that he or she is not, in fact, picking up the "John Pedder" vibes from the Unsolved Mysteries segment filmed on that very spot?
happy.gif

Likewise, the haunted pool! No one drowned in the pool, or died of a heart attack there, but can we be sure that no one picked up a healthy dose of eColi in its waters and expired elsewhere?
happy.gif
True- I can think of DOZENS of ways the famous 'wet footprints' could get in place~ many of them involving staff members taking illegal off-hours dips in the guests-only pool, but, again, I am sure that the cause is far more sinister...

And the otherworldly audio recording that they claim captures the Curacao collision in psychic reenactment? Yes, yes, I know what you are going to say~ a vast, empty metal space in close proximity to a parking lot and a busy port COULD conceivably act as a sound-catcher and an echo chamber, particularly if one laid a towel over one's recorder to muffle the sounds somewhat~ but is it not more logical to assume that the spirits of the men who died on the Curacao would spend enernity haunting the former cargo area of the ship which killed them, than it is to assume that the tape is actually a 'capture' of parking lot sound bleed?

>Seems these ghosts all showed up to put some $$$ in the pockets of Disney, and, other publicity-seeking characters.

Mr. Johnstone, your cynicism saddens me. Here we have an unparalleled case of mass haunting (The 400+ from the Curacao haunting the former cargo area, plus the watertight door,the chidlren at the pool and the woman on the diving board, plus the haunted Observation Lounge) and you perversely choose to turn a blind eye to the obvious.
happy.gif

Keep up the good work!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Only one question-what haunted the 'Ivan Vassili'? Scariest high-sea haunt I've ever heard of.

Ergotism?

Editorial exaggeration of a simple on-board panic?

Crew members embellishing one incident until it became a chain of incidents?

Crew members wanting either to get transfered off the ship, or get back at the owners or captain, creating a gossip network tale of an onboard demon?

Latter day authors and journalist who did not check primary source material? The Ivan Vassily was Russian. The stories were heavily anthologised in the 1960s and 1970s, and we all KNOW how easy it was to fact check anything with Russia at that point.

Or a roving black cloud of evil that, with an entire world to choose from, opted to destroy all who ventured aboard a non-descript Russian freighter, when it COULD have worked its evil to more spectacular results aboard the Olympic?

I opt for the final choice. The others seem to stretch credibility to the breaking point.
happy.gif

Seriously, friends, approach this story as a journalist. When did it first appear? Who first told the story? Were the tales told sequentially, as it happened, or did the entire thing come out as one big story after the alleged haunting ended? Who translated the original tales, if they existed at all, from Russian to English, and was he or she a credible source, or one prone to embellishment? Keep in mind the phrase "Father took the child" can be translated into "The child was raped by her father" if the translator opts to use the most extreme connotation of the word "took," and what was said in Russian about the Vassili incident might not necessarily be what made the jump into English. What evidence is there that a ship named Ivan Vassili existed, and that if one did (and given that both names are quite common in Russia- akin to naming an American ship James Smith- chances are good that one DID exist at some point) it was the same vessel as the one in the story? Would be interesting to see the results.

K

Kyle Johnstone

>They had a broader range of liners on which to cross, and so I am sure that they were distributed evenly >between Italia, CGT, The U.S. Lines and HAL. As the other classic liners began to vanish, they were left with >the option of spending eternity trapped aboard international jets, or switching over to the Queen Mary- and >there the matter stands.

Ah! Of course!
As a ghost, I would make the same decision. With the France/Norway/Blue Lady on the beach in India, I wonder how many spirits have since switched their loyalties to the Queen Mary.
Well, I guess they'll tell us....

Once QE2 settles into her post-service life in Dubai, will she suddenly become haunted as well?
If Dubai becomes cash-strapped...

I read an account by a QM2 passenger who insists that her cabin, #6065, was haunted during her April '05 voyage. AFAIK, nobody else before or since has claimed a QM2 haunting. Why not get the ball rolling... or the ball and chain rattling...

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>QM2 passenger who insists that her cabin, #6065, was haunted during her April '05 voyage.

In which cabin was the passenger who died on the January maiden voyage?
happy.gif

>Once QE2 settles into her post-service life in Dubai, will she suddenly become haunted as well?

Hmmmm...I see a legend in the making, about a dashing Californian so attached to the QE2 that his doppelganger begins appearing aboard her in Dubai, even as said Caliofornian continues his day to day life....

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>As the other classic liners began to vanish, they were left with the option of spending eternity trapped aboard international jets, or switching over to the Queen Mary<<<

Ewwwwwwwww...were I one of the Dearly Departed who just didn't want to leave, I think I'd pick a liner to haunt as well. They make for classier digs.

>>As a ghost, I would make the same decision. With the France/Norway/Blue Lady on the beach in India, I wonder how many spirits have since switched their loyalties to the Queen Mary.<<

I would. If I were haunting the Norway, I'd soon have to find a new home or get water in my ectoplasm.
evil.gif
-(BOO!!!!!)

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
quote:

Latter day authors and journalist who did not check primary source material?
Reading the story as it appears on the net, I was terribly tempted to look up the Ivan Vassili's call at Sydney in local newspapers. We are told that after sailing from Hong Kong, she arrived in Sydney to take on wool, where the crew immediately started deserting. Given that reporters were always on the sniff for a story around the docks, I'm sure someone would have said something if odd things were going on. Unfortunately the date is too vague - sometime in 1903 onwards. I'd have to follow it through for far too long to see if there's a will-o'-the-wisp of a lead. Might do it if I find myself at a loose end...nothing like a wild ghost chase, and I'm always up for a debunking (or for corroborating what details can be corroborated). First thing to do is to see if she can be identified as having called at Sydney.