The Mount Temple

May 3, 2005
I've been following this thread and I can sympathize with the posters. I have run into the same problem with another author on another book. It seems once they have made up their mind, they just can't stand criticism about any of the negative points of their book. Good luck. I'm going back into the lurking and observing mode. Thanks for letting me in.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Robert,

Having now read most of Senan's book, it seems impossible that Mount Temple would not be high up on the list of contenders for the "mystery ship." In fact, I have come within an inch of starting to be convinced (frankly it is a hell of a lot more convincing to me than the Californian ever was.)

And contrary to what others have said, some of the first accusations and news reports--which were surprisingly accurate--came before "the details of the disaster were known." Not to mention, the book can, in no way, be characterized as a fictionalization. That's just a lie--you would have people believe this book is a novel that makes up dialogue of those on the Mount Temple or something similar?

The rocket issue: I find it telling that some of the reports from Mount Temple passengers and crew mention Titanic firing colored lights--something that we have just taken Boxhall's word about (that only white rockets were fired) for nearly a hundred years. Taking into account passenger recollection, and the location of colored rockets in the debris field, I think we can pretty much admit colored rockets were fired from the deck of Titanic.

I also find it interesting that the master of the Almerian also reported seeing these rockets, while a four mast one funnel steamer who morse lamped "ount" to her, and was later identified as the Mount Temple lay between her and the rockets. At the very least, this ought to prove that Moore was lying about not seeing any rockets of any kind.

Finally, Moore's excuse about his lines ice policy makes no sense at all. He waves around this policy that he cannot take his ship into any ice whatsoever, no matter what the purpose, after he has already talked about steaming his ship through ice trying to answer Titanic's distress.

Jake: re sailor stories

I suppose this could very well be the case, but would they really charge the crew for obeying the Masters command on the vessel? But, it would make some sense... it is telling that there are NO family stories at all as well. I can promise you my grandfather would have told the story many times had he been chief engineer on a vessel in the area of Titanic that night--even if his ship were too far away to give aid.

At the same time though, my grandpa did tell me many stories he wasn't suppose to--chiefly about the bikini tests. He also told me about being locked in his room and being threatened with a court martial... which isn't exactly flattering.

But most importantly he never passed up the opportunity to tell me about how his captain nearly got his fleet tug sunk during d-day by navigating into a very clearly seen German hazard, which fouled their prop. Then how the captain froze, and my grandfather had to formulate a repair and implement it why the captain just stared into the distance (and German 88s were ranging their boat so shells were landing all around them.) He would then complain that his Captain was given a bronze star for something my grandfather did while the captain was in shock.

So it seems to me the officers of Mount Temple might have told a similar story about Moore to their families--particularly long after they left the sea--if the accusations against Mount Temple were true. Then again, we are dealing with human beings who died between 50 and 70 years ago. If such stories did exist--and Senan mentions one--their details might have been long forgotten.

*edit

I wanted to add here that the "two masted one funneled steamer" almost has to be the Almerian. Essentially this ship admits to being there (she didn't have a wireless) on the night of the 15th, is identified as a Leyland liner by Lord at the time, and is spotted by 3 ships Mount Temple, Carpathia, and Californian. The only way Moore's "black funneled" ship, a ship with a black funnel as he described never being located despite titanic efforts to do so, would not be the Almerian would be that it was a ship that he, and he alone, spotted--despite all of the other ships racing to the scene during the evening of the 14th and the morning of the 15th.

Moore's report about the schooner is also very strange as no other ship sees one in the area--none at all. Furthermore, his testimony during the US Senate inquiry has this schooner doing some very strange things, like maliciously coming at him, in the dark and in an ice filled sea, the using its foghorn at the last possible moment such that Mount Temple has to take evasive action and run her engines in full reverse--which in and of itself makes Moore's positions and time table impossible.

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Jake: re sailor stories

I suppose this could very well be the case, but would they really charge the crew for obeying the Masters command on the vessel? But, it would make some sense... it is telling that there are NO family stories at all as well. I can promise you my grandfather would have told the story many times had he been chief engineer on a vessel in the area of Titanic that night--even if his ship were too far away to give aid.

At the same time though, my grandpa did tell me many stories he wasn't suppose to--chiefly about the bikini tests. He also told me about being locked in his room and being threatened with a court martial... which isn't exactly flattering.

But most importantly he never passed up the opportunity to tell me about how his captain nearly got his fleet tug sunk during d-day by navigating into a very clearly seen German hazard, which fouled their prop. Then how the captain froze, and my grandfather had to formulate a repair and implement it why the captain just stared into the distance (and German 88s were ranging their boat so shells were landing all around them.) He would then complain that his Captain was given a bronze star for something my grandfather did while the captain was in shock.

So it seems to me the officers of Mount Temple might have told a similar story about Moore to their families--particularly long after they left the sea--if the accusations against Mount Temple were true. Then again, we are dealing with human beings who died between 50 and 70 years ago. If such stories did exist--and Senan mentions one--their details might have been long forgotten.

Good point. I also just thought of this: Many of us here are descendants of Titanic survivors and victims. There are also some of us here that are descendants of Ismay, Pirrie, and the 14,000-15,000 workers at the Belfast shipyards. Some of the families have been so kind as to post here, or publish books about the folklore/legends that have been passed down from those aforementioned survivors and shipbuilders.

Where are the descendants of the passengers of the alleged 36 other ships in the region? Why haven't they come out with books, or news interviews? Surely the Californian and Mt. Temple crew and their descendants couldn't be the ONLY ones still talking about "being in the area of the Titanic when it sank"?

John Flood

Mar 1, 2004
The kicker, at the time, and the erie part when I think on Frank Preatince's claim his mate paddled off to never be seen again, was these Mount Temple passengers claimed that 3 of Mount Temple's boats were launched and a single surviving member of the crew was resued.

They then say the guy disappeared when he got onboard and was never seen, at least by the passengers, again.

There is in all probability nothing in this, but the thought of it did give me the chills reading through this thread.

I've never heard of this incident before, is there any more info. about it?

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
I've never heard of this incident before, is there any more info. about it?

John,

Sorry. Obviously hadn't checked this thread in a long while. More information about which? Preatince's story or the "witness" claim to have picked up a Titanic crew member by mt temple?

I will try to track down both for you. In the meantime, just google Preatince and BBC. There is an interview by him given in 1980 detailing this story. The "witness" I believe was a man who turned up with his daughter at a news paper to give his story a couple days after Mt Temples arrival in port. He was, irrc, on Mt Temples manifest. Seanen's book discusses this in detail.

I will try to get back to you with concrete links later, sadly I am typing this on my phone, making it next to impossible to do now.