The Mystery of Cameron's Last Mysteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2000
I often pre-order books that I know that am going to want to have. So imagine my pleasant surprise when Amazon.com sent me an email that James Cameron's Last Mysteries of the Titanic was in the mail!

Imagine my further surprise that when I got the package, and opened the box, there was a book by Michael Clarkson about Poltergeists!!!

So I called my local Barnes & Noble and asked them if the Cameron book was available. They said yes, and could have one in for me within a few days. Sure enough, a few days later they called and said, you guessed it, the book they got was on poltergeists.

Something is seriously wrong in bookland. That both Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble have it wrong suggests that the misinformation is coming from the publisher.

Here are the details as listed on B&N.com:

Product Details:
ISBN: 1554071623
Format: Hardcover, 192pp
Pub. Date: April 2006
Publisher: Firefly Books, Limited

That ISBN is definitely for the poltergeist book. At this point, I doubt that the author listed, Clarkson, is the real author, and I'm not even sure that the publisher is really Firefly.

Can any of you insider's with Cameron come up with any details about this book? Or know who I can ask?

Thanks!
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

May 1, 2004
Dear Michaels,

I checked Amazon.ca (since I recognized Firefly Books as a Canadian publisher)

The author is Joseph Macinnes
Title: James Cameron's Last Mysteries of the Titanic
Publisher : Key Porter Books (Toronto)
April 2006
ISBN : 1552637425
Price : $Cdn 40.00

I don't see it on their website www.keyporter.com
I didn't see it on Amazon.com (How did you find it?}

Mar 3, 1998
Michael,

Dr. Joe MacInnes's publication of "James Cameron's Last Mysteries of the Titanic" was originally scheduled last year but recently postponed until the Spring of this year. Dr. Joe didn't give me the reason for the delay. I, too, have seen sporadic mention of the book's release, but to date every mention has proven false. As far as I know, the book will only be available through Canadian outlets, like amazon.ca.

As a side note, I asked that since the publication was postponed, would I have time to update my CGI which is featured in the book. The answer was no, unless the changes were minor. Evidently, the book has been "locked down" during the postponement period, which makes the delay even more mysterious.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
Someone is selling the MacInnis book on eBay right now. What do you want to bet that the auction winner receives a book about ghosts?

Parks

Oct 13, 2000
Marilyn, you are a gem beyond words. Thanks! The reason you can't find it on Amazon's US site is that enough people like me have informed them they have sent the wrong book that they have taken the listing down. A few months ago it was up there, which was how I preordered it at that time. Barnes & Noble haven't figured it all out yet, which is why they still show it on their site.

Parks, thanks for the additional information. There is no understanding the new book business or what bizarre magic ritual publishers use to determine when they will release a book. As you say, it apparently has little to do with whether the book is finished or not!

I would be very surprised, though, if the book is only made available through Canadian outlets. I expect that once the publisher finally gets all the correct info to the US and UK sites, they will relist it. But that is just an educated guess on my part. Time will tell.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Oct 13, 2000
Hey, I figured out why they keep sending everyone a book about poltergeists. Cameron's last book, after all, was called Ghosts of the Abyss!
happy.gif

Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Oct 13, 2000
The strange journey of this book through publishing limbo continues. The publisher lists the book on their website, but does not offer any release date details. None of the major new book sites list the book for pre-order any longer. I contacted the publisher directly, and was told that the title "has been postponed". When I asked them what that meant, they replied that there were some holdups keeping the book from going to press. They did not have any time frame as to when, if ever, this book will be published, though they indicated a desire to see the complications worked out and the book released eventually.

Patience, they say, is a virtue.

Oct 13, 2000
Mike, they were extremely careful not to go into any details, as I did press them on the "postponed" statement. Their resonse was very carefully worded to not give me any addtional information. This leads me to suspect it is a legal issue of some kind, but I'm only guessing.

Though no such statement was made, I was left with the impression that, unfortunately, we are unlikely to see this book anytime in the near future.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
What a disappointment, I've also been looking forward to this book since it was announced last year. It's already been postponed enough, but I guess we'll just have to hope that it's out sometime in the future.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So did this book ever see the light of day?<<

Not as far as I know. Amazon has a habit of sending me an e-mail notice of any new Titanic related books which are going to or have come out.

The silence here is a screamer.

Mar 3, 1998
Dr. MacInnes has not been successful in finding a publisher willing to print his account of the 1995 expedition. I would like to point out that based upon my read of a proof copy, his book is not the kind of glossy coffee-table book as was "Ghosts of the Abyss" but rather a study of the history, mechanics and motivations of Titanic expeditions, with special emphasis on the 1995 Cameron expedition. In other words, there aren't that many pictures.

I myself have been mystified by Discovery's refusal to recover any of their investment in the 1995 expedition. The final Cameron edit of LMoT was never released to the public and MacInnes has been left on his own to get the book that Discovery commissioned him to write published. In my opinion, Discovery is sitting on a wealth of information and I can't for the life of me figure out why they would not try to realise some benefit from it.

Parks

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
Also lies the problem with so many authors, when the publisher pulls the plug on something not considered "hot" enough. I feel for so many folks on this web-site who's years of work gets some publication but not the attention it deserves. You would think someone out there who owns the rights to some of this un-seen material would have a web-posting for it somewhere? Or do we have to wait til 2012. Luck to many of you out there who have books waiting or just around the corner. I still would love to see the hundreds of photos from Dr. Ballard's many dives instead of the few glimpses and many books with a few more glimpses that make it to the press. Not blaming Dr. Ballard on this one, just the medium or the supply/demand problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.