The Navratil children

Dec 21, 2003
I heard some strange thing that they were kipnaped by there father?! Is that right? I heard that they stood on the passenger list as hofman or hoffmann.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
One of the strangely poignant things that strikes me about the Titanic disaster was the fate of the two 'Hoffman' children. If the Titanic had not sunk, their father Michel Sr 'Louis' Navratil ('Hoffman') would almost certainly have succeeded in building a new life with the two boys somewhere in America. In that case, Michel Jr & Edmond would have grown-up to be Americans. Instead, their father saw the kids safely off the ship into a lifeboat, stepped back himself and later died. Michel & Edmond were later reclaimed by their French-Italian mother and they grew up and died as Frenchmen.

[Moderator's note: This message, originally a separate thread in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the Navratil children. MAB]

Allan Wolf

Mar 11, 2007
Asheville, NC
I'm trying to discover the proper pronunciation of Michel Navratil and his son Michel, did they go by mee-KEL, the Slovakian way, or mee-SHEL, the French way? I could not find on line anywhere. I wonder if Michel Sr. may have used the pronunciation from the home country while Michel Jr. would have taken on the French pronunciation. Anybody know?

Allan Wolf

Mar 11, 2007
Asheville, NC
Thanks, Jason. I'm glad to have you confirm my assumption. We were pretty sure that would be the case. I've been researching pronunciation for an audio recording of a book of mine coming out in October. Brilliance Audio hired 5 actors, experts at dialects and accents, to record all the various voices. They have depicted Michel Jr. (so they tell me) with the proper dialect of a Slovakian/Italian/French four-year-old. I haven't heard it yet myself, but it's bound to be cool. The Brilliance folks ended up pronouncing Marcel Jr the French way, and Marcel Sr. the Slovakian way. Thanks again.

C

Caroline Mendes Ferreira

Boys orphans of the Titanic.

Michael Navratil with the passages of the ship under a false name, as the boys took to New York perminssão without their mother. Who had separated. Bad in reality I say what a parent does to a child's happiness to give a better life but he tore the daughter of his wife.
Bad because on the night of the shipwreck orphans father Navratil glued her two children in a one lifeboats molher cared boys until someone found them. The boys were orphans known as the Titanic. Weeks after rescuing the mother of the boys admitted they photograpy in a newspaper and managed to take them back to France.

I just think of the pain that father could not go with her ​​children and died in the wreck

Tommy

Jul 21, 2012
United Kingdom
Michael Navratil with the passages of the ship under a false name, as the boys took to New York perminssão without their mother. Who had separated. Bad in reality I say what a parent does to a child's happiness to give a better life but he tore the daughter of his wife.
Bad because on the night of the shipwreck orphans father Navratil glued her two children in a one lifeboats molher cared boys until someone found them. The boys were orphans known as the Titanic. Weeks after rescuing the mother of the boys admitted they photograpy in a newspaper and managed to take them back to France.

I just think of the pain that father could not go with her ​​children and died in the wreck
We know that already. The online translator you used is clearly not very good.