The New Age of Passenger Liners

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

The website above is temporarily down when I checked it- go to the internet search and type in Steamship Historical Society and the link will be there. A temporary glitch.

K

Kathy Savadel

Wow -- what a fantastic site! Thank you, thank you, Shelley -- you just made my day.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Shelley, thanks for the links. Two more for my favorites page.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

E

Erik Wood

Shelly and Others,

I am very aware of the Steamboat Bill publication and it's ajoining club. I am also a member of the Irish Titanic Historical Society as well as the Queen Mary's society. I have seen the United States in Phillie and she is in shambles. That is a good website and I have a few that are also good I will post them when I have the time.

Erik

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

In re the SS United States, shambles is probably putting it mildly. I hope this fine ship doesn't end up being turned into Toyotas, but it's going to take a helluva lot of money and effort just to make her presentable as a museum. I seriously doubt that she'll ever move under her own power again. She's been pretty thoroughly gutted.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

E

Erik Wood

Michael,

She was gutted before her return from Turkey but from what I understand she still has 90% of her engines. Obviously it has been almost 25 or more years since they have run but it is something. I think on one of the United States websites the amount needed is around 500 million. They are asking for donations but I think it will take a while. The only that she has going for her right now is the fact that is still afloat and has the proud shell.

She met a better end then her sister.

Erik

E

Erik Wood

There is a very good web site on the America and her demise. If you go to www.unitedstates.org and click on links and then go to the site listed it has many photos of the past and present as well as pictures of the wreck today.

Erik

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

I've seen the America site and the photos there as well. Rather depressing to look at. This ship deserved far better then to end up briken on the rocks.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

I must have missed something- what happened to the America? I will check out the site. I always thought the funnels on these two ships were a little clunky and oversized for the sleekness of the hull. Did anyone go to that auction in Virginia about 12 years ago? United States coffee cups went for about 6 bux! What was her top speed- 42 knots? I hear her engines design is declassified now.

E

Erik Wood

All,

I have lots to say this time so bare with me. The America is a sad sight and if you travel the track you can see her bow section and pick up what is left of her stern section with your depth finder. I have read and some say they have seen lights flickering on and off at night and all that. But it is hard to say for sure.

I was very recently relayed a story by a Captain who will remain nameless for the time being. While underway with a fourth of capicity down bound for Cape Town from Southampton and prior to that was in the Med. The Captain as well as the first officer and the cadet, throttleman, helmsman and watchman were all on the bridge. Now they say the radar showed nothing so they were doing what sailors do on long boring watches and telling sea stories. The sky was clear the sea state small. As the Captain went to the head there was a enoumas flash followed by a huge bang. The bang was so large that it through the plant off and the ship lost power for about 10 to 15 seconds before the backs ups to kick in. The Captain and the officers on the bridge sent the cadet on a damage report the watchman scanned the horizen and the sea directly around the ship but saw nothing. Once the radar was back up nothing was on it. Then once again a very bright flash and enorumas bang. This time the ship heeved hard over and then back again. This time the power remained on and the watchman smelled very heavy jet fuel. The Captain turned into the wind and slowed the engines down and then low and behold a submarine lay in front of his quarter with no running lights and no sounds other then the sounds of the waves washing over the low deck. The Captain attempted to hail the sub but nobody responded and then the sub disappeared from sight. He wouldn't tell me what the bang was but he did say that it was odd and that he wasn't all that sure if it was a sub.

Other then that. The shipping business is suffering record lows in travel and three ships from the Carnival Fleet are being taken out a full month earlier then expected and will be out two months later then expected. Because it is cheaper to have them sit then to run them. Cunard a baby company of Carnival is also having money problems and the QE2 will not be getting her upgrade next year as scheduled because of it. Holland America and Princess are the only companies that are breaking above expanses. If I am not careful I might not have a job.

Erik