The Next Liner

Mar 3, 2010
What do you think the ship after the new QE will be named? If there is one....

Will QV and QE be doing any Transatlantic?

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
There will probably be no new ship after the new Queen Elizabeth enters service in the autumn of next year because of the global economy being in the dumps unless the global economy improves.Rocky Whiteside did ask "Will QV and QE be doing any Transatlantic? This year in January the Queen Victoria did a Southampton to New York crossing to start her World Cruise and in September the Queen Victoria will do another Southampton to New York crossing that is part of the Autumn cruise to North American Atlantic ports in the U.S.A. and Canada and The new Queen Elizabeth will probably do no more than a few crossings a year also.The Queen Mary 2 will still do the the most transatlantic crossings (there are 23 transatlantic crossings scheduled from April to November of 2009)since she is a true Transatlantic Liner.Regards,Jerry

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I'd much rather cross on the QM2 than a Vista Class ship.
I just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam and the ship rolled and yawed the entire time. The sea was a little choppy when we crossed the Gulf Stream from FL to Puerto Rico, but this movement never let up even near islands. The worst was in the dining room over the stern where it felt like we were in turbulence during a flight. I've never been seasick, but this was close. I didn't have this during my Queen Mary 2 crossing which had two days of storm and felt as if we were driving over big hills at the worst and was only evident those two days. The Vista Class ship rolled all seven days.
I've read a review of the Queen Victoria's performance during her first crossing in January of '08 and it said that she was more pitch than anything. I didn't detect any pitch on the Vista Class ship even when walking on the promenade deck, but really noticed movement when she was shifting directions out of a roll, it would pause and it felt as if my head was the last part of my body to shift directions if that makes any sense.
Aside from the movement, the Eurodam itself was beautiful. The food and service amazing.
Has anyone cruised or crossed on a Vista Class ship?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>There will probably be no new ship after the new Queen Elizabeth enters service in the autumn of next year because of the global economy being in the dumps unless the global economy improves.<<

Revisit that one in...say...2040 or so when the expected Queen Elizabeth will be reaching the end of her useful service life. Markets tend to by cyclical in their trends and times do get better after they get bad. If there is still an existing niche market which would support a new liner, I would be greatly surprised if a replacement wasn't built.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Possibly. However by that point in time, perhaps the powers-that-be will say, "Let's get all historical and stuff and do Tudor/Jacobean."

The Olympic Class did. Hey, if plastic faux Victorian can be all the rage now, maybe plastic Tudor/Jacobean will make a come-back in the future?

Henry VIII provides a whole slough of names ~ RMS Anne Boleyn anyone?

"What is our heading, sir?"
"What 'head' ing? ~ Ha! Just joshing, sir!"

(sorry)
happy.gif

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Actually, if there is ever another Cunard liner built after the QE next year, I think that Cunard will go back to earlier well known names, such as Mauretania, Aquitania, Berengaria (well, maybe not that one), Brittanic (was Cunard after 1934) etc.

Personally, I'd like to see them design a Cunard Class liner, rather than using Vista class, but unless there's going to be a major change in the direction of Cunard, nothing will happen. niche markets are only so big.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I agree absolutely with Jerry (for the short-term) and Michael (for the long-term). Well said.
With Cunard's main clientele having their retirement funds evaporated, I don't see them splurging on a luxury cruise in the immediate future.
Over long-term, the world economy rises and falls over the 30-year lifespan of a ship.

K

Kyle Johnstone

>Over long-term, the world economy rises and falls over the 30-year lifespan of a ship<

It very nearly killed off the Queen Mary, before her lifespan even started... and the Queen Elizabeth before any steel was even cut.

Many other liners were sent to early graves during the same years.

but y'all know that...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Many other liners were sent to early graves during the same years.<<

Some of them not so early. The Olympic was in good condition but dated. From what I understand of the Mauritania, she was not only dated but worn out. The Olympic could have carried on longer but when the economy went south, she went with it.