The Night Lives On

Jul 23, 2008
I read this book many years ago and couldn't put it down so I thought I'd revisit it this week. I'm so glad I did! The Night Lives On reminds me once again of just why Lord is such a popular writer. His style is so readable and each chapter has a wonderful fluidity to it.

Lord's examination of the Californian incident is particularly gripping. He presents the case so clearly and concisely that it makes all those arguments about 'mystery ships' redundant.

I also find his essay on the law suits brought by the families of the deceased musicians extremely sad. It seems incredible to think that it wasn't until the Titanic Relief Fund stepped up to the mark that the families were able to get any compensation.

Lord brings the character of Helen Candee to life beautifully. It made me want to find out more about her and the other members of the 'coiterie'.

It seems clear that Lord altered his opinion of Lightholler too. I always get the feeling that Lightholler is presented in a rather heroic fashion in A Night to Remember. However, in The Night Lives On, Lord acknowledges that Lightholler's rigid 'Women and children first' rule wasn't necessarily the most appropriate one.

A great writer and a thoroughly engaging sequel.

Jul 23, 2008
Trevor, thanks for posting this information.

I have been reading through some of the letters Lord received from survivors. Fascinating stuff. I found Sylvia Lightholler's correspondence particularly interesting. Also, Guy Cohen's account of his escape. A very lucky chap indeed!

Jan 29, 2001
Anthony:

I purchased the book upon it's initial release in Los Angeles, CA. My girlfriend, without regret, made the 8 hr. dirve home upon our return to C.C., NV. I read the entire book on that drive home! As an asdie...on one of my visits to QUEEN MARY (Long Beach) I violated a barrier so as to have my Sister take a photograph of me standing below a QM funnel. The idea was spawned from the O'Dell photo as pictured in TNLO.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jul 23, 2008
Hi Michael

I know what you mean - I couldn't put it down either!

I should love to visit the old Queen Mary but since I have a terrible fear of flying I guess it's never going to happen unless she makes a visit to Southampton! Every time I try to book the trip I bottle out. Ah well...