The Norway France

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Did you guys hear about what's happening to the old France? Norwegian Cruise Line has two new flagships and is selling the Norway! Horrible, evil decision!!!! She is going to Star Cruises and will be turned into the (get this) Superstar Leo! There should be laws against such sacrilegious blasphemies! She will cruise the Pacific and her old Parson turbines are being taken out. No longer will a great ship dance to the song of the turbine (cue the violins). There is no word yet on how extensive her renovation will be, but things look grim. Rumor has it that she will essentially be turned into a 21st century cruise ship and there's even talk of removing the first funnel! The day that the Superstar Leo makes her maiden cruise will be a day of mourning for every liner enthusiast. I would rather see sink with dignity than see her as a full blown cruise ship!
It's and atrocity!

David

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Atrocity or not, the new owners have got to face economic reality in order to remain solvent. Steam turbines, once cutting edge technology, are fuel hogs compared to the much more economical diesels.

I agree that this is unfortunate, but there are far worse fates that await ships which have become obsolete. The Indian or Pakistani scrapyards for example. That was where a great Harland & Wolff ship...the Canberra...ended up.
sad.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Things are not looking good for her. I think Mike Standart and I discussed her current state in the New Age Passenger Liners thread.

Erik