The Novel Coronavirus Outbreak

Nov 14, 2005
A scenario, code-named “Crimson Contagion,” was simulated by the current administration’s Department of Health and Human Services in a series of exercises that ran from last January to August. See here: Before Virus Outbreak, a Cascade of Warnings Went Unheeded.
Interesting. The miltary was running an exercize on 9-11 for the very scenario they found themselves in that day. Initially it added to the confusion. I remember when they actually used to test this stuff on the public. I was also told they tested stuff on navy ships to see how fast it would spread. Supposedly it was harmless but some have disputed that. Cold war fears caused them do a lot of crazy stuff back in the day.

Nov 14, 2005
Well my town finally closed the schools. The poor kids will have to stay inside and look at their smart phones all day. In other words...nothings changed.

AlexP

May 23, 2019
Usa
Poor kids? In San Francisco the schools are closed and there is “shelter in place“ order. I have never seen so many kids riding bikes or simply walking with their parents. Even playgrounds are not empty. I would say “poor parents”. Imagine staying with your kids at home for a few days in a row. You even cannot ask grandparents to take them for some time. I’ve heard that after staying at home with her three kids for four days one mom ended up inventing coronavirus vaccine :)

Reactions: 1 user

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Remember this the next time somebody is fired and they say that they are resigning “so they can spend more time with their family.” Nobody will say that ever again.

Nov 14, 2005
Poor kids? In San Francisco the schools are closed and there is “shelter in place“ order. I have never seen so many kids riding bikes or simply walking with their parents. Even playgrounds are not empty. I would say “poor parents”. Imagine staying with your kids at home for a few days in a row. You even cannot ask grandparents to take them for some time. I’ve heard that after staying at home with her three kids for four days one mom ended up inventing coronavirus vaccine :)
Thats probably a good thing. Doesn't sunlight (uv) kill viruses?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017
What better way to spend the lock-down than with like-minded friends at Encyclopedia Titanica? While it's always fun to see an increase in site-activity, the underlying reasons for the burst remain worrisome. Are you under a "stay-at-home" order? Have you or a loved been sickened by the virus? How has COVID-19 affected your community?

I do hope all of you are well...Now go wash your hands ;)

T Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Experts are predicting a baby boom around Christmas time. I have a strange feeling it won't be because of the people who already have kids in this situation...LOL.
The soon-to-be-new-dads in the waiting room should give out Corona beers instead of chocolate cigars.

ArchGuy1

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
Tourist attractions, restaurants, cinemas, opera houses, schools, stores, concerts, and sporting venues across the world have been shut down by the coronavirus.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Tourist attractions, restaurants, cinemas, opera houses, schools, stores, concerts, and sporting venues across the world have been shut down by the coronavirus.
As of Tuesday morning, New York State had 25,665 cases, with at least 157 deaths. The state now accounts for nearly 7 percent of global cases tallied. Some 13 percent of people who have tested positive were hospitalized as of Tuesday with nearly a quarter of those hospitalized in intensive care. Case count in NY is doubling every three days.

Times Square, NY City.
1585071631333.png

T Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Friends I'm still in contact with in NYC say the city it's extremely eerie seeing the city as a ghost town, and scary how quickly the virus is spreading in New York. Fortunately nobody I know has gotten sick.

Where I live how, Honolulu, there's a mandatory stay-at-home order. I'm considered "essential" so I still have to go to work, or as it's better to look at it, I'm fortunate enough to not have been laid off and still have a job to go to. But you can tell how worried others at work are at the possibility of getting sick and then bringing it home to their families, but still needing to come in and get that paycheck.

Stay safe and stay healthy out there everybody. We will get through this, it might take a while but things will eventually return to normal, it's just a matter of when.

Nov 14, 2005
I have family friends that live there but haven't heard from them lately. One owns some Subway sandwich shops around Honolulu. Haven't heard if she had to close them or not. Hope you and everybody there can dodge this thing. Always liked Hawaii a lot.

Nov 14, 2005
As of Tuesday morning, New York State had 25,665 cases, with at least 157 deaths. The state now accounts for nearly 7 percent of global cases tallied. Some 13 percent of people who have tested positive were hospitalized as of Tuesday with nearly a quarter of those hospitalized in intensive care. Case count in NY is doubling every three days.

Times Square, NY City.
View attachment 48225
I just saw this on the nightly news. They said NYC had 8 times the infection rate as the rest of the country. Population density I would guess. I hate to see anyone get sick and have been concerned about places like Mexico City with its 22 million residents. So far they have seemed to dodge a major outbreak. Hope it stays that way for them.

yla

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
There are 39 people affected by cod19 virus 35 mins away from me. I live in the suburb of Berwick and the affected 39 people live in the suburb of Mornington. A 35 mins drive away.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
What is not known is how many people have been infected and developed only mild or no symptoms. There are indications that this virus is more contagious than thought and also has a wider spectrum of symptoms. They are planning on doing tests to see what percentage of the population has developed antibodies, meaning they were infected, but developed mild or no symptoms. We only hear of the cases where people are very sick and think, perhaps wrongly, that they are the only ones who have been infected.

Nov 14, 2005
What is not known is how many people have been infected and developed only mild or no symptoms. There are indications that this virus is more contagious than thought and also has a wider spectrum of symptoms. They are planning on doing tests to see what percentage of the population has developed antibodies, meaning they were infected, but developed mild or no symptoms. We only hear of the cases where people are very sick and think, perhaps wrongly, that they are the only ones who have been infected.
From what I've read you are right about what you say. I've read heard up to 85% of people who get it show no or mild symptoms. The problem is they dont know and take it home to grandpa. The more testing they do the numbers will go up. It finally showed up in my town. I'm actually surprised it took so long as the interstate goes right thru my city. A direct pipeline to and from Los Angeles. The rest of the county which is bigger than 5 or 6 US states should be ok...its 10 miles between ranch houses. At least I hope so.
Mark is right about politics...getting digs in at this point isnt going to solve anything. My only bitch about this is not that I blame China for the virus. Thats just mother nature throwing us another curve ball. But I do blame the CCP for putting out bogus info at the start to try and cover stuff up when they could have made it a lot less worse...thats not political...more criminal...IMHO.

Last edited: