The Olympic Class Ships Olympic Titanic & Britannic

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

Thanks for your interest in my work. I never expected so many people to be interested in it!

I am not sure about encyclopeadic, Bob,
wink.gif
[sic? you never know with my spelling] but I certainly think the book contains a few surprises. It's intended to be the most detailed single text, on all three ships, to date. I won't kid myself into thinking it's perfect.

Thanks Nicolas for your encouragement, and thanks to Mike Standart for providing the link to the amazon page.

I understood that it would be available to America, but even if it does not go on the American amazon page then you can order it from .co.uk . If you do it when the exchange rate is right you could get a bargain. Do let me know what you hear from my publisher, Michael.

I have always wondered what the 'amazon sales rank' counter meant on the page -- I thought it was orders/advance orders, and at 3,000 it seemed high yesterday (but just possible). Yet now it's on nearly 100,000 so that can't be true. Anyone know how those counters work? I'm really confused.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

Thanks for your interest, sir. Remco has given me permission and I've certainly included his work in my selection of illustrations for the publisher. I will certainly push for it to be included and I am confident it will be. There is his drawing of Britannic's stern in one instance, accompanied by a text pointing out the differences between her and her sisters. I've also submitted one of my drawings (which is brave!)

Kindest regards,

Mark.

N

Nicolas Roughol

btw Mark, is that cover shown on amazon.co.uk the definitive one or still work in progress? Looks pretty good to me...

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Nicolas!

The short answer is I don't know. Hopefully it's the finished version!
wink.gif
It was a nice surprise to see it on amazon!

It does look a great cover -- I feel very optimistic about it. The publisher's designer has certainly done a good job, though it's interesting that Titanic's on the cover! If it helps sales I won't object.
smile.gif

Best regards,

Mark.

A

Andrew Williams

Howdy Mark!

I think congratulations is in order and well done on a remarkable piece of Maritime history!

Good news, this morning I ordered your title from Amazon and like nearly everybody else, I have to wait for a pending date of release.

Other news from this part of Southern England. There's a strong possibility that I've got hold of another 'historical book' dealing with the entries from the First World War. Once I've had confirmation, I'll let you know privately.

Take care Buddy!

Andrew W.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the congrats, not to mention ordering the book already. I am told everything seems to be going very well on that front. I look forward to hearing from you on the book.

Hi Nicolas!

I hadn't seen that coloured version that THS has! Thanks. I think my publisher choose a good photo.

Best regards,

Mark.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Clearest version of the cover photo I've seen is in Eaton & Haas (page 59). It shows the ship on the one occasion it was fully 'dressed' with flags - Southampton, Good Friday (April 5th). Excellent choice.

David Porter

Jul 29, 2006
Mark - I was pleased to see that my stateside account information with Amazon.com worked perfectly on the Amazon.UK site. I've pre-ordered your book, and am now looking forward to it.

Thank you, Michael for providing that direct link to the book.

Regards -

Nov 12, 2000
Hi all,

I have already contacted everyone who wrote to me privately, but it is worth posting here on-line as well that according to the publisher, Mark's book is definitely going to be available here in the U.S. you will just have to be a bit more patient if you want to order the book in the States as it won't be available here till the Fall.

the U.S. distributor will be:

TRAFALGAR SQUARE
PO BOX 257
HOWE HILL ROAD
NORTH POMFRET
VERMONT

Tel : 802 457 1911
e-mail pfeldstn@sover.net

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Kyrila!

Thanks for your interest in my work!

Hi Bob!

I'll have to check the Eaton/Haas work. Suffice to say, I really agree that it's a fine photo. I like April 5th 1912: in a sense, that was the peak of the 'Olympics.' One much-acclaimed ship was in service, and the second was soon to make a triumphant maiden voyage. Gigantic was also building.

Hi David!

Thanks for your interest in, and advance order of, my book. I hope you find it enjoyable. It's my first book and it's quite exciting!

Hi Michael!

Thanks for posting those details. You know more about it than me! I'm pleased it will be available to America -- since it's presumably the world's biggest single market for ocean liner memorabilia.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

I had said I hoped to post the catalogue details. Sad to say my scanner's troublesome. I can only post a tiny bit of the page due to the size limit. I can't get the thing sorted any better as I'm quite ignorant of this confusing software.

Here goes:

72205.jpg

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, for the record, I went ahead and pre-ordered the book. I was tempted to wait until it became available through a distributor on my side of the pond, but I suspect if I did that, I'd be so old, I'd be ready for embalming.

Frankly, I'd rather get my copy in this lifetime, not the next!

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

Thanks for ordering a copy. I was surprised when Michael told me that the American date was later -- a bit of a surprise. My publisher apparently expects to reprint after the initial run.

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was surprised when Michael told me that the American date was later...<<

I'm not. The same thing happened with Debbie Beavis's book last year. "Who Sailed On Titanic" was published in the UK first and made it to my side of the pond a few months later. In light of that, I think you can see why I ordered your book from Amazon.uk.

I like to get something hot off the presses!

Just to scratch my own curiousity, what else are you working on? E-mail me if you don't feel comfortable discussing it in public. It may take me a couple of days to read it since I'll be out of town tomorrow and most of Saturday.

I promise I'll put it in the Suicide Befor Reading files.
evil.gif

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Mike!

I didn't realise that there was such a delay. I'm pleased that there are going to be copies exported to the American market, and I understand it will be available in other countries too.

I guess with the original target of July 2003 then it would have been in America by Christmas.

I am indeed working on new projects. My second book is practically finished and due for delivery soon, with publication to follow in the year after the first one. I'll make an announcement with that nearer the time. There's more stuff that I'll e-mail you with.

Best regards,

Mark.