The Olympic Class Ships Olympic Titanic & Britannic

G

Guest (R17)

Hiya Mark

I think you are correct about the Olympic picture. The name McCutcheon certainly does ring a bell.

What always surprises me is the endless number of new photographs of the Titanic that keep popping up! Like you I have been interested in the Titanic class ship for many years. Yet just when you think you must have seen every picture of the Titanic that is possible a couple of new ones appear, like the newly found Titanic photo which was posted on Titanica not so long ago :) There are also some of the Britannic in your book which are totally new to me.

Coming back to the Titanic pictures that I had not seen - I can not understand why they have not appeared in other Titanic books ? To still find fresh/new pictures of the Britannic let alone the Titanic for your readers I think is a sign of a very decent book. I am sure there are other people who had not seen a couple of these Titanic/Britannic photo's ?

I look forward to obtaining your book just about the Olympic :)

cheers
ps did not get your email - prob because I had not updated the send an email address on Titanica.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Miles!

It does seem surprising how many photos keep being 'unearthed.' I think a number are still in private collections, and we can only hope that these come to light publicly in the future.

The back cover Britannic photo was pleasing, while it was nice to acquire the bow view of the launching, and the rare 1914 postcard. Jim Kalafus was also kind in giving permission for his Olympic/Britannic photos to be used.

With regard to the Titanic photos, I don't know why they have not appeared elsewhere. I'm not very 'up to the minute' in terms of Titanic images, and it's only through having access to a friend's collections that these could be used. Credit for the rare photos really belongs to my editor and publisher. I was very lucky to find Tempus.

Thanks for buying the book, and I hope you enjoy the Olympic book. It's more colourful!

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jun 25, 2004
Hello Mark!

I am also in possession of both books from you. yesterday as I rummage through the Olympic-Class book I was surprised about the following three things:

1)On the backcover there stand the number G608 on the front of the bridge of the Britannic instead of G618. Why that?

2)On page 188, line 6 there appears the following sentence: "Young Douglas Speddon exclaimed..." Was that Douglas SpeddEn?

3)On Page 193 (the picture). There stand that Gracie booked the pool for April 15th. But I thought that he booked the squash-court

But aside from that this are two very nice books. Well done! I love them!

Regards from Germany

Dustin Kaczmarczyk

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Dustin!

Thanks for buying the books.

1)On the backcover there stand the number G608 on the front of the bridge of the Britannic instead of G618. Why that?

It's a topic of much debate as to the Britannic's number. Captain Bartlett wrote it down as G608, but other sources have it as G618. It seems apparent that the number is different, although for what reason it's hard to say. I posted some thoughts at www.titanic-model.com As far as I know, this detail has gone unnoticed until now -- one of many things that have just been overlooked. I alerted Simon Mills to the photo number and he too was unaware of it. If the photo shows the G608 number on Britannic's bridge front, then that's pretty solid evidence IMHO. We can prove that number was painted on her during at least part of her career. I was trying to follow it up, but as so often with the Britannic you hit a 'dead end.'

2)On page 188, line 6 there appears the following sentence: "Young Douglas Speddon exclaimed..." Was that Douglas SpeddEn?

I expect so, I think that's a typographical error. I seem to remember ANTR was my source for that, and if it is then it will be endnoted specifically -- if you check the note that will confirm what the original source states.

3)On Page 193 (the picture). There stand that Gracie booked the pool for April 15th. But I thought that he booked the squash-court

Does the caption state that? If so, I think it's an error -- after all, the swimming pool was not open for private bookings if I remember rightly.

Thanks for your post -- it's these details that can so often get missed.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

I was able to look through a copy in my local bookstore, and there isn't an endnote for that statement. My memory was clearly wrong on the source -- although I can't remember which of many newspaper accounts I might have used for that one. Either way, 'Spedden' does seem to be the most common, and apparently correct, spelling. Thanks for letting me know.

As an aside, with a new University term starting, I'll be pretty busily engaged over the next few weeks.

Best wishes,

Mark.

G

Guest (R17)

Hiya
So there are yet more photo's of the Titanic which most of us would not have seen in pvt collections ?
Cheers :)

H

Harriet Collingham

Mark - there is a review of your book in Ships Monthly (february 2005)
happy.gif

Just a wee heads up for you!
All my best,
Hattie

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

Miles asked: So there are yet more photo's of the Titanic which most of us would not have seen in pvt collections?

That would certainly be my assumption. Over the next few years, I think a number of people are going to be pleasantly surprised at what becomes publicly available. For instance, last year some of Thomas Andrews' Olympic maiden voyage notes became available. Three copies were made IIRC -- one for White Star; one for Harland & Wolff; and Andrews' personal copy. Again, IIRC, there were three pages and fourteen observations. Last year, at least one copy showed up, albeit incomplete: it was just the last page. I would like to make a public request as to whether anyone knows the whereabouts as to some of the other copies, and perhaps we could help each other.

Hi Hattie!

Thanks for letting me know, I've written to them as regards getting a copy, but I always await reviews with a certain nervousness. With a really good review, it's embarassing to comment on it and say thanks; with a very bad one, you have to re-check so much stuff and make a number of arguments again...all well and good, but it's hard to find the time a lot of the time.

Thanks to everyone for their interest in the book. As an aside, to add to my answer to Dustin Kaczmarczyk's question, J. Kent Layton has posted a small version of the G608 plate on the TRMA forum:

http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=100&topic_id=5173&mode=full&page=

I don't believe that the number changed from G608 to G618 when Britannic left and re-entered service, since the similarity (and small difference) seem too 'neet' to me. I am looking into it at the moment and hope to write a research article, although I am pretty busy at the moment and judging from past experience few people will be interested.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hello,

Partly in response to some private enquiries, I'm pleased to say that the book was reprinted in January 2005. As I understand it, there are copies still available from this print run. If there's anyone who wanted to obtain a copy and has had trouble, please don't hesitate to contact me privately and I'll see what I can do.

I'll have some copies with me at the BTS, although my number is necessarily limited as I am not driving down this time. It seems likely that there will be further print runs in the near future, so there should not be any problems in obtaining copies for the foreseeable future.

I'd like to thank everyone who has contacted me for their interest, and express my thanks to everyone who has bought the book.

Best regards,

Mark.

May 12, 2002
Hi Mark,

I've just finished reading The Olympic Class and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You should feel proud of it, it's a useful and entertaining read.

Cheers

Paul

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Paul!

Many thanks indeed for buying the book, and thanks for the kind words. I am very pleased that you enjoyed reading it.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Mark,
I bought this book two weeks before I bought "RMS OLYMPIC - TITANIC'S SISTER and like your second book, it has quickly became one of my favorites. Thank you very much for all of you research and bringing all this material into one place. If only more information and photographs survived of Britannic.

Thank you for two wonderful books regarding the Olympic class.
Steve.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Sally,

Thanks for your very kind words. I appreciate them. I am pleased you enjoyed the book, as it makes writing it worthwhile.

I had some good news recently that yet another reprint is in the works. Problem is, I'm getting obsessed with going over everything trying to find errors that need correcting while there's the chance!
wink.gif

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 2, 2008
My copy of The Olympic Class arrived today, I can't put it down!
Bruce Ismay remarked after her maiden voyage that "Olympic is a marvel"
Mark, your book is a marvel too.

Jan 5, 2001
I'm blushing, Tonya. Your comments are very kind, and I really appreciate them. I'm just pleased that you are enjoying the book.

Best wishes,

Mark.