The Ostbys

Aug 29, 2000
After careful searching, I could not find a thread for the family. It was no surprise that Englehart decided on Providence, Rhode Island- which was the jewelry capital of the nation up until the mid 1970's. Much costume jewelry was made here (such as Corot) and the famous silver company, Gorham's is to a certain extend, still in business. I plan to pass by Mr. Otsby's old empire at #2 Barton Place on Saturday to see what is left. About ten years ago, I visited the deluxe Providence residential hotel where Miss Helen spent her last days, and spoke with a dapper old gentleman who knew her. He recalled her as being feisty and full of vitality to the end. It must have been a wonderful large family.
http://www.revdma2.com/forgetmenot.html will take you to Swan Point Cemetery to visit the Otsby family.

Aug 29, 2000
Friday I went to visit the site of Mr. Ostby's company in Providence- Maiden Lane and Barton Place have been restructured over the years in downtown Providence and now the site is no longer on a through street. His glorious Cooke Street mansion is still standing and photographs do not do it justice. The home is very grand indeed and I pictured the dapper Englehart passing through this magnificent portal for the last time, never knowing it would be his last glimpse of home.
72051.jpg
72052.jpg

Aug 29, 2000
Miss Helen, in her old age did not move too far from the homestead. Wayland Manor is but one avenue over and 4 blocks east. I enjoyed meeting one of her friends who had known her well and was also a resident here about 9 years ago. He remembered her as very "feisty and strong-willed" to the end. I recently learned that a cousin, Mr. Raymond Ostby died about a year and a half ago.
72056.jpg
72057.jpg