The other Titanic

L

Lynda Franklin

I was watching a documentary about ships but don't remember too many details and saw that the big T was the second ship to be named Titanic .Can anybody tell me anything about the first ?

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
There have been at least three ships named Titanic. One was a small freighter commissioned in 1888. Her details are here.

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/item/4208/

The third Titanic began life as Daugavpils in 1965. She was a tanker of 22,630 deadweight tons. She was 186.21 metres long overall. At some stage, she changed hands and was renamed Titanic. She was broken up some time in the 1990s. (If you are wondering what Daugavpils is, it's a small city in Latvia).

Our good mate, Michael Standart, can truthfully claim to have seen Titanic afloat. He saw the third ship late in her career.

L

Lynda Franklin

Thanks Dave the small freighter was the one I was thinking of .I didn't know there had been a third one .

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
What did the third ship look like? Was it remarkable at all or just a generic tanker? Also, Titanic seems like a pretty odd name to chose for it.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Was it remarkable at all or just a generic tanker?<<

Just a genric tanker and not especially impressive. I don't remember what colour the hull was but I recall that the deckhouse with the bridge and crew quarters were located back aft much like it is on the much larger tankers.

I was a bit startled when I saw the name on the bow.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Michael, was she anything like this?<<

Yes she was. I don't know if this is the ship since she's obscured by fog and she's also riding high. When I saw her, it was from the forward starboard aspect and she was fully loaded.