The photo of the real Iceberg

M

Mikael Jonsson

Hi.

I have seen many photos that has been said to be the iceberg which Titanic hit. On titanicmuseum.de there was an article about a photo which was found as late as in the year 2000. This photo is of what is said to be the real iceberg.

If anyone has a photo of the real iceberg. Please upload it here.

M

Mikael Jonsson

yes but without the Museumlogo and the letters HP all over it.
happy.gif

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
The museum logo and the "HP" have every reason to be stamped onto the photo. These are photographs from the personal collection of Henning Pfeifer. Naturally, Henning has every right to label these photos as his to prevent them from being used without his consent.

In other words, you're not gonna find unmarked copies of those photographs.

Josh.

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
The comparison of the Rehorek photo with the rock of Gibraltar on Henning's site is remarkable.
Makes you respect Joeseph Scarrot as a pretty acute observer...

Jan 8, 2001
The only thing I wonder about Scarrot, is it would seem to be difficult for anyone to describe the berg as well as he did when he couldn't have had much time to identify it as the collision was happening. Plus, being dark, it would have also made it difficult to identify so precisely. Perhaps, Scarrot might have seen this berg the next day in the daylight in the vicinity and just assumed it was the one she collided with. It may well have been "the ice berg," but I don't think it's a certainty the more I think about it.

Michael Koch

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I've got seven or eight photos of bergs that allegedly done the dirty deed. Some have better pedigrees than the Rehorek berg, having been taken somewhere near the wreck site on the morning of April 15th. I'm rather sceptical of all of them. At least the Rehorek berg has a more or less vertical side, which would be needed to explain the ice on the foredeck. I think it's something that can't be resolved.

Dec 7, 2000
I'm still very skeptical that Henning's photo is a photo of THE berg. I have pointed out before on the ET board that I don't agree with some of Henning's conclusions on the berg. I don't see how a man could have found THE berg so close to the bodies. We have some convincing suggestions about how Titanic steamed north about 3 miles from the berg. I don't see how THE berg can be so close to the bodies. It has been a while since I had thought on this subject, so I can't remember all of what I think.

Daniel.

Jul 10, 2001
hi all

to Michael: I think the seaman compared the iceberg with the Rock of Gibraltar, because he saw something like that. Even in a moonless night you do not have 100% darkness.

to Daniel: we absolutely do not know where exactly Rehorek took the picture of the iceberg. There was a certain (or better: uncertain) vicinity to the debris. This includes a rather big distance as well. There were not so many bigger icebergs in the whole area. He took pictures of two bigger icebergs. I believe, that one of them is probably "the one". If we assume that the Rehorek iceberg is not the one and if we assume that every iceberg has a pretty characteristic shape - how can we explain that the drawing made by the artist Cooper (on board the Carpathia the morning after the disaster) matches with the iceberg which was photographed by Rehorek? Both pictures show the same iceberg...But did Cooper draw the collision iceberg? To say it in a nutshell: not just one of the indications I have listed in the article would convince me that the Rehorek photograph shows the Titanic iceberg - but all indications together did.

Best regards Henning

Dec 7, 2000
Henning,

Cooper likely drew a picture of the berg that people were pointing to. I don't know for what reason, perhaps it was the biggest, perhaps there was another reason. One thing "I think" is for sure that THE real berg would not have been close to the Carpathia at all. How anyone could claim it to be THE berg when basically no one saw it I don't know. Even the ones who did see it could not agree on its appearance. One interesting thing I was able to find out about Rheims.

He didn't really see THE berg. He saw a white mass out of two windows on A deck ... that's about all his THE berg sighting. In fact, Rheims didn't actually know that the Titanic hit an iceberg until later. His drawing of an iceberg was simply one that he saw in the morning from the lifeboat. He was asked to draw a picture of it and did not claim it to be the one berg that hit the Titanic, just an example of an iceberg he saw in the vicinity. This vicinity was close to where the Carpathia picked up the boats but far from the original point of impact.

Daniel.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
What did the iceberg really look like? This old question has been mulled over for years so here's a bit more 'mulling'.
For the answer to this question we have to rely on the man who saw it and described it as:"it struck me at the time that it resembled the Rock of Gibraltar looking at it from Europa Point. It looked very much the same shape as that, only much smaller."
This is the famous description given by AB Joseph Scarrott on Day 2 of the British Wreck Commissioner's inquiry. Here is exactly what Scarrott was describing:
208288.jpg

This is a painting of one of my old ships the 'Cilicia'. If you scale down the high part of the 'Rock', and think of it as 70 feet high alongside Titanic, you are seeing it as Scarrot saw it.
Here is another example of the same view in nature, described as 'lion couchant':www.flickr.com/photos/tatraskoda/3856399204/ - 141k.

Perhaps if Scarrott had been an Egyptologist he would have described the iceberg like this:
208289.jpg

The problem everyone had and still has is the understanding of what Scarrott was describing. His questioners knew exactly what was being described when the Commissioner responded with:
'The Like a lion couchant?'

As soon as Scarrott uttered the word 'Gibraltar', every one who had been to the place recalled the classic side-on view. Those who had not looked up travel references which would also, in most cases, show the classic side-on view. Thus, when it was necessary to produce an illustration, we got this:
208290.jpg

Not by the widest stretch of imagination could this be described as a 'lion couchant'.

JC

H

Henning

Hi Jim,

this very old print shows three views of Gibraltar:

http://www.printsoldandrare.com/gibraltar/020gib.jpg

The subtitle of the one view (left below) says:
"Gibraltar from Europa Point - the British Lion couchant seen on approaching from the Mediterranean"

The shape of the Rehorek iceberg is matching that shape very closely, but "The highest point would be on my right, as it appeared to me." (Scarrott)

The conclusion:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/images/pfeifer_comp_thm.jpg

Regards
Henning