The Prequel to TT&T

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
If you have to have every good book ever written about TITANIC, this one, "Titanic: Destination Disaster," by John Eaton and Charles Haas should be in your library. If you are more selective, the same author's "Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy" is a better bet. TDD is an "A", but TTT is an "A+." Both books are comprehensive in scope.

TDD was witten in 1987, and revised in 1995, after much of the wrecksite had been explored and artifacts brought to the surface. Besides being extremely well written, it includes plenty of pictures.

The only thing disappointing to me is the lack of extensive passenger biographies -- but, of course, that's why we have Encyclopedia Titanica.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I beg to disagree. The book is poorly researched and contains twaddle like the "No Pope" story and a very biased and misleading account of the Californian affair.

It is a poor introduction to the story. There are far better books by Lord, Davie, Reade and Wade.

M

Mark Bray

I agree: TTT was a good book. I have not read TDD, yet. I am always disappointed that NONE of the books I own focus on the Aftermath of the Passengers. I am really mostly interested in the Passengers of the Titanic. I went to my library and found a book Titanic: Women and Children First, and it was GREAT................I had to scam through it b/c of time, but I plan on getting it for my birthday. I recommend anyone out there to go out and buy it.

Mark

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
Mike:
I thought "Destination Disaster" was okay. But, upon further reflection, I think that it includes some factual assumptions that could be misleading to many readers. For example, "Destination Disaster" describes the iceberg as a "blue berg," i.e., one that recently capsized, is dark, and therefore hard to see. In fact, what type of iceberg the Titanic hit is a very speculative matter. I don't know that there is any hard evidence that Titanic collided with a blue berg, do you? There are other instances, as well, in the book. Perhaps because there are so many Titanic books out there, Eaton and Haas were under pressure to come up with a different angle, and as such, presented some speculative facts, on occassion, as verified, true and correct. Again, it's an okay book. I enjoyed "Illustrated History" and "Night Goes On" even more, though.

J

Just a person

About "Women and Children first," it is one of the best Titanic books this world will ever see. My library has the book, I love it. I don't legally own it, but I can say I own it. I permanently borrow it and re-new it, so it practically always stays with me.

I strongly recomend it.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Sounds like you have more of an axe to grind with the authors than their research, eh Dave??? You use Lord as a specific example, but he was the one who originally focused on these myths.