The President Coolidge perhaps the best wreck to dive

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one ever talks about the "Dollar Line".
I wonder why?
The Dollar Line certainly had more charm than the Ward line...

The President Collidge, a rather non descript twin funneled liner, which sank in shallow waters while being used as a troop ship in WW2 is concidered by many to be the best accessable wreck to scuba dive on the planet.
Great visibility, and the ship is in relatively good shape.

Id pick Britannic as the ultimate dive, as she is in astoundingly good shape, but she is accessable only to the most advanced divers...

Anyone ever dive this President Coolidge?
regards

Tarn Stephanos

A

ALEXIS TROTET

I dived on the coolidge back in 1995 and yes it s a great wreck
happy.gif
It has had similar fate than all those great liners used for warfare transport during the WWII (and WWI)
The boat is very accessible to anyone who has little knowledge in diving (I was 16 when i dived there). She is incredibly in great shape
The bow lay down at 25m and the stern is at 80m depth. I went to 40m (120 feet) which is enaff to visit the foredeck cargo (full of american army truck)and the front part of the cockpit. The visibility was wonderfull and I recomend to anyone to go to vanuatu specially for this wreck
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Alexis, did you see "The Lady" when you dived her?

I'm looking forward to hopping over to Vanuatu to dive the President Coolidge one of these days - from all that I've read and heard, she's a fantastic dive. It's possible to do it from Sydney as a long weekend trip.

The Britannic would be a fantastic dive, but she's not for recreation divers - she's a deep tek dive on mixed gas with long deco times.

A

ALEXIS TROTET

i didnt see the lady as she was too deep for me (55m) and i only have the french equivalent of the open water and I was very young ;)
That was the deepest dive i did with a diving club (with the french federation they wouldnt let me dive at 40m at that time)
I dived untill the cockpit only (40 m). The lady is for sure worth seeing if u can but they are PLENTY to see !!! I remember huge trucks from WWII and artifacts everywhere ... I even saw "boris" the giant grupa which is always at the bow of the wreck
happy.gif

Im from new caledonia and living in sydney, are you in sydney too?

Inger Sheil

Hallo Alexis -

I think it was very sensible of you for not going to that depth with an OW certification! This is one of those wrecks with enough to cater for quite a few different levels. Are you still doing a lot of diving?

For those who are wondering, 'The Lady' is a sculputre of a lady in Elizabethan costume and what was once a unicorn, although it is now sans horn.

Yes, I'm a Sydney-sider...there are a few of us! We should arrange a meeting one of these days.

A

ALEXIS TROTET

Hiya inger

I know I shouldnt have dived there with my certificattions but I dun regret it
happy.gif

I do not do a lot of scuba diving anymore, anyhow I used to dive a lot back then. I was raised up in a yacht (my mom still live in it) and especially dive without a club with my stepfather(he doesnt have any cert but dive for 30 years). I always wanted to pass higher diving degrees but never had the money. And no way i put my little finger in the water in sydney :D Its too damn chilly for me, new caledonia's like queensland heh heh. Ill wait till i go north ;)

cool for the meeting, I just found this site after I went to see "ghosts of the titanic" in darling harbour last week... a mine of information...

Status
Not open for further replies.