The Queen Elizabeth wreck still exists or part of it

Feb 14, 2011
When the poor Queen Elizabeth was burned to a crisp in 1972 under the new name Seawise University, her burned out hulk sat in Hong Kong harbor for a few years. In fact, I think it was in the James Bond film Man With the Golden Gun ,that the charred wreck was used as the hideout for Bond and his friends. Since then, most of the wreck was scrapped on the spot , but Ive read much of the keel still remains, and a break water of some kind has been built atop the wreckaage. Anyone know more details?
Regards

tarn Stephanos

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know anything about any breakwater being built on top of the remains of the QE1 and I suspect it's rather unlikely. I've been to Hong Kong several times and I never saw any sign of a breakwater or artificial island in the harbour where the ship burned and sank. Just open anchorage filled with ships.

LOTS of ships!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jan 18, 2005
Michael,

I have often wondered if there are any good photographs of the wreck of the QE1 whilst lying in Hongkong harbour. I have searched on the net but I was not succesful. Is it documented somewhere what happened to the wreck since the ship burned?
regards,
Robert

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Agreeing with Michael, I last visited Hong Kong harbour in September last year and there is absolutely no sign of the QE. (Unless it remains underwater, that I do not know)

Apr 27, 2005
I think the hulk was broken up onsite with cranes mounted on barges, possibly dynamite, and divers with cutting torches. I believe the entire ship was raised in twisted chunks. The keel would be substantial, as would the furnaces, boilers, etc. I'm sure that entire ship, with perhaps exception of only small fragments of dropped crushed machinery. Dragging a magnet over the area might net you a bolt or broken rivet, but I think the Elizabeth was melted down in the PRC's steel plants. Truthfully, that was all one could possibly do with the ship after the fire. THere was nothing worth saving after it collapsed from the loss of steel temper.

Jan 18, 2005
I have discovered through the internet-sites Michael has kindly send us (thnx!), a small but poignant little remark that the site of the QE- wreck was used in the foundations of the new airport of Hongkong. The wreck was cut up, cleared as much as possible by a Japanese firm of shipbreakers during 1974 and 1975. At the Time of the Man W T Golden gun premiere she was gone. It helps to search the net for 'Seawise University', you'll get a lot of info there.
ciao!

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks for that Daniel- excellent photos. What a sad end to a great lady. I seem to recall she pops up in a James Bond movie. I wonder if any vestiges of the wreck still exist in the harbor.