The Rappahannock

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I apologize to have resurrected such an old thread but I have always wondered about the Rappahannock and its supposed exchange of morse-lamp messages with the Titanic. In the past 10 years or so I considered that encounter as a figment of someone's imagination and had practically forgotten about it. But a few days ago I started looking into related references and was surprised to find that it was mentioned even in books like Don Lynch's Titanic: An Illustrated History and Fitch et al's On A Sea Of Glass. In OASOG it is merely mentioned that the two ships crossed on Saturday night but there is no mention of Morse Signals. Apparently Chief Officer Smith of the Rappahannock had logged the encounter with a description of how the Titanic looked at night.

So, is there any definitive information about whether the Rappahannock did send ice warnings to the Titanic via the Morse-Lamp?

Reactions: 1 person

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Thanks, that link worked.

So, it seems like the Titanic's "Rappahannock Encounter" was a yarn after all.

I confess that I am a bit disappointed. There was something almost romantic about two ships passing each other in the night and exchanging Morse Lamp messages. Well..........:(

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I personally found the 1912 account believable but might reevaluate it again...

There is an old account by someone on here who claimed a women saw Titanic and Adriatic greet each other at 6 in the morning with a whistle blast, but there doesn't seem to be any other account that validates this.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Adriatic arrived at Queenstown from New York on 12 April and Liverpool the next day, according to the shipping column of The New York Times. If the two ships passed at 6 in the morning it would have to have been on the 12th.