The Red Sox curse of the Bambino or Titanic

Feb 14, 2011
Im a Bostonian, so cant help but root for the home team.
The Boston Red Sox had had a slight slump since trading off the great Bambino, aka Babe Ruth in circa 1917- Many attribute that to the 'curse' on the Red Sox's occasionally poor track record at winning ...
But then again, their home venue, Boston's Fenway Park, opened on April 15, 1912.
Hmmmm, i wonder what else happned that day?

Tarn Stephanos
Boston MA

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I wish I'd seen this sooner, Tarn! As the most rabid Yankee fan of all time, I must correct you on this piece of Red Sox history. Fenway Park's didn't open until April 20. On April 15, the Red Sox were in Philadelphia and lost to Connie Mack's Athletics by a score of 4-1.

The other scores that day were:

Washington Senators 1 New York Highlanders 0

Cleveland Indians 8 St. Louis Browns 5

Chicago White Sox 12 Detroit Tigers 7

Chicago Cubs 9 St. Louis Cardinals 2

Cincinnati Reds 3 Pittsburgh Pirates 2

Philadelphia Phillies 10 Brooklyn Superbas 6

Boston Braves 3 New York Giants 0

Feb 14, 2011
My error-as a Bostonian, I shouldn't have made such a blunder...
Your right, Fenway Park officially opened April 20, 1912....

The curse is history, as we have now won two World Series...

There was an 'unofficial' game at Boston's
Fenway Park, Red Sox vs Harvard on April 9, 1912- The first official game open to the public was the Red Sox vs the NY Highlanders (later known as the Yankees) on April 20, 1912.

I love the Red Sox, but am also a big fan of the mid 1950s era Brooklyn Dodgers.
And of course the NY Yankees are a fantastic team- I really get bothered when people from Boston and New York try to villify the oppsoing city and its citizens as a whole-

Bostonian Red Sox fans are notorious for being obnoxious to NY Yankees fans who visit Fenway park, and as a Bostonian, it embarasses me-

There is nothing like a Red Sox vs Yankees game, and I just wish the fans of both teams could share drinks following the game without coming to blows...

I guess its the same with soccer in the UK- Manchester United and Liverpool fans seem to hate each other with a passion....

I wonder where Chiciago White Sox and Chicago Cubs fans vent thier hostility, since they share they same city, and hate one another?

Regards

tarn Stephanos

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
I have to say as a Liverpool fan that I hate Manchester United (Man Utd) with an abiding passion - have done for 20 years. They have styled their stadium, Old Trafford the "Theatre of Dreams" (for God's sake), and describe themselves as the "biggest club in Britain".

It's a bit like the Yankees and Red Sox in reverse. Everyone hates the Yankees, but they must be respected because they have (bought) won more than anyone else (sorry, Eric!). The smugness is well placed, but not with Manchester United.

Despite their recent triumphs, imagine the Red Sox declaring themselves the biggest, best and most successful team in baseball history. Be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

But Man Utd do - despite the fact that Liverpool have won more English league championships than anyone else in the 118 year history of the competition, and the fact that Liverpool have won Club Football's ultimate prize, the European Cup 5 times compared to Man Utds 2 (the same as Nottingham Forest).

In 1999 Man Utd won the European Cup for the second time and the celebrations were sickening -like all was well with the world and the 1000 year Reich of complete dominance was about to begin. After a year United had to return the original trophy they won to have it replaced with a replica.

Then in 2005 Liverpool won the European Cup for the fifth time, and in accordance with tradition, after winning five times you get to keep the official cup instead of a replica. This has only been acheived in the past by Real Madrid and AC Milan, both before Man Utd's second win.

Hence my wondrous joy that United fans have to make the journey to the Anfield trophy room to see the actual trophy that was raised on "the greatest night in their history".

Delicious.

E

Elissa Wendorf

I agree with you 100%, Tarn. I'm from the Boston area, too, and it is downright embarrassing when someone starts a "Yankees Suck" chant, regardless of the audience or event. I wonder what these fans feel they have accomplished by screaming "Yankees Suck" during a set change at a concert, or between periods at a hockey game. I mean, one of the main reasons for participating in or watching sports is to meet people, make friends, and be apart of something bigger than yourself. I understand supporting the home team, but there has to be a line somewhere.

Elissa Wendorf

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Hi Elissa,

"Yankees Suck" is a pretty tame by English football standards. Here's one of the cleaner chants which is sung by opposition fans when Liverpool are playing their team. People from Liverpool are scousers and a giro is a welfare cheque:

(Imagine 40,000 people singing this in unison to the tune of "You are my sunshine")

"You are a scouser,

An ugly scouser,

You're only happy on giro day,

Your mum's out stealing,

Your dad's drug dealing,

Please don't take our hub caps away."

The tradition of singing at matches goes way back to the 19th century and each group of fans gives as good as it gets.

During the 70's and 80's it was a major problem as hooliganism spread inside and outside stadia, but these days fans get on really well and the chants are seen for the most part as good natured banter.

When watching US sports I'm often curious about the atmosphere as it seems almost sterile by comparison.

If someone like Derek Jeter was playing soccer in England, the personal chants against him would be unbelievable.

You should see some of the chants David Beckham had to put up with, and in particular Elton John when he was chairman of Watford FC - but they both just laughed them off.

More nasty songs at US sports events please!

E

Elissa Wendorf

Hi Sam,

I can't imagine being in a stadium where 50 thousand people are singing that song. I understand it's all in good fun, especially for the athletes. I love how, especially with the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry, the fans get so incredibly involved and devote themselves entirely to this one cause, but to the athletes, it's all a big joke, most likely played up for publicity. Oh, and I agree, we need to come up with some more creative chants and songs in the US.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
One of my all time favourites was when Steve McManaman played for Liverpool. He was a real crowd favourite and enjoyed this ditty from his fans:

(to the tune from the Muppets)

McManaman
di-di-der-der-a
McManaman
Di-di-der-der
McManaman
Di-der-di-der-der-di-di-der-di-di-didi
-da

or how about this song for the star striker of Liverpool's greatest rivals, Manchester United:

"He's FAT, no necked, he looks like
bl**dy shrek, Wayne Rooney, WAYNE
ROONEY!"

Google his image to see how close to the truth it is.

Julie Dowen

May 12, 2004
Say whatever you want - anyone - RED SOX are the WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!! JOY TO THE WORLD!!!!!! TraLaLaLaLa Lalalalaaaaa!!!

E

Elissa Wendorf

It truly is a great year in Boston. The Sox won, the Pats are undefeated, and the Celtics and Bruins are playing fantastically well. It just doesn't get much better than this!