The remains of Oceanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikael Jonsson

Hi!

Oceanic is a ship I don't know much about.

I heard she grounded during first world war. There she was until 1979 when she was removed.

Are there any photograph from the wreck. Maybe
even in colour? Did any of you see the wreck before it was removed to be scrapped?

M

Mikael Jonsson

Thank you Patricia. I found even more information on: http://www.greatoceanliners.net/index2.html, but no wreckfootage. I sure would love to see that photo you are talking about
happy.gif
Maybe I buy the book sometime.

best regards, mike

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Simon Martin's The Other Titanic, which describes the salvage of Oceanic, has a few photos of parts of the submerged wreck and some parts of the ship that were brought up.

Sep 13, 2003
Hi Mikael
I am a little unclear about the history of the Oceanic's loss. I have seen two slightly different versions of what happened to her. My understanding is that she ran aground, was evacuated with no casualties and sometime later was totally destroyed by a big storm. In the 1970's a large amount of non ferrous metal, e.g. gun metal, metal from condensers, propeller shafts etc was salvaged. There is still a lot of her at the site. She is not in deep water. The other account is that she was mainly scrapped on the spot and then in the 1970's again, the non ferrous metals removed by these same chaps. Will have to do some research.

Regards

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.