The Roots of Titanic History

daisy

Jun 30, 2011
Becky, I dont believe Camerons Titanic was a waste. He wanted Jack & Rose, to show us what life was like on the Titanic before she hit the iceberg.Also he wanted us to experience, in full depth what Jack & Rose and 1500 other people experienced that fateful night, and I believe it was a job he succeeded very well in doing, Because for me it really touched my heart when Jack And all the other passengers lost there lives on Titanic. It really left me very sad when that happened, and when a movie touches your heart that much I know it a film worth viewing.

Gary Truscott

Feb 16, 2008
Daisy, you got it right in one and very eloquently written. James Cameron's movie is of now the highest grossing movie of all time. That in itself suggests that his "Titanic" was very, very successful. Most people go to the cinema to be entertained and with James Camerons Titanic they surely got their moneys worth. I doubt a documentary version of Titanic would have been nearly as successful. Another benefit of this movie was the fact that it made millions of people more aware of Titanic the ship and her fate.

Many of the older movies are great but we live "today". I have a few years "under the belt" and while I fondly remember past years I wouldn't want to return to B&W TV, valve radios, manual typewriters or vinyl records just to name a few. The new technology available to film makers allows us to see in a more realistic way how things may have been whether it be dinosaurs, meteorites hitting Earth, Roman gladiators, or ships colliding with icebergs.

The best is yet to come however. Just wait until virtual reality is with us. Then sometime in the not too distant future, when the Titanic disaster is remade in mind numbing reality, film (?) goers will experience just what a night of horror this really was. I just hope I'm still around to experience it.

E

Elaine Barnes

Oh, Gary, I don't think I would like to experience Titanic in that much detail. For me, just the thought of 1500 people dying all around me, screaming, freezing... I get a chill down in my soul just sitting here at my computer.

Becky

Jul 17, 2009
I'm sorry I still disagree.Jack and Rose took up so much of the movie.While wasting time on a fictional couple he left out the Strausses.She stayed on board because she wouldn't leave her husband.Mrs Strauss was stepping into a lifeboat and turned back at the last moment.That's a love story and it really happened.No mention of the Goodwins,the Carpathia.the Californian etc.There was just so much more to tell.My husband and I argue the same points that have been made here,but I have been a student of Titanic since I was 12(and that was some time ago)and I just expected so much more.Cameron had high tech on his side so visually his Titanic was outstanding.And of course he had the dreamy Leo and busty Kate.He captured the sinking and overall ship very well and impressive but...I'm not trying to start a fight but I was so dissapointed.If you get a chance watch ANTR and then maybe you'll see what I mean.And I'll tell you what touched my heart the most and that was a passenger list with the dead highlighted.Seeing 5 or 6 of the lost with the same last name touched me more than Jack and Rose ever could.

Gary Truscott

Feb 16, 2008
Hi Becky,
The points you make are fair enough but in the end, books, movies and music etc are very subjective. In other words the " beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
When I watch Titanic now I view the start then skip to an engine room scene then to an open water scene where Capt. Smith says " let's stretch her legs" and then to the lead up to the collision with the iceberg. That part done I watch whatever takes my fancy for the remainder of the movie. I could watch heaps of engine rooms, boiler rooms, the grand staircase, the propellers, the bridge and officers on duty and even the kitchens and bakeries at work. After half an hour of that I'd probably have the cinema to myself!
I didn't expect too much from James Cameron's Titanic at first because if I remember correctly the movie was supposed to open for the US summer season but was postponed six months due to post-production problems. Then the word started that Fox had a $300 million "bomb" on their hands. As we are all aware that was far from the case. It turned out the exact opposite.
I have to say I rather liked Titanic and James Cameron produced a very good movie. A lot of research ( not to mention money) went into reproducing costumes, staterooms and staircases. Then crockery, carpets and even the davits were faithfully reproduced.There were some scenes in the movie I could have done without but if that was the price I had to pay to see the most realistic Titanic ever then so be it.
I saw ANTR at the cinema when I was a young fellow and I have it on video now. It was a good movie in it's day but it too is not perfect. I'm sorry but I simply couldn't rate it a better movie than the '97 version.
As I wrote at the start all of this is subjective. You have your opinion, I have mine and someone else has a different one again. Differences of opinion are one of the spices of life
Finally, don't be concerned about starting a "fight" on this topic. If you want to be involved in a really vigerous debate then post some fresh ideas on icebergs, lookouts and First Officer William Murdoch!!! I hope to post my own interpretation, based on some obscure evidence soon. After a couple of stiff drinks! Only kidding.

Becky

Jul 17, 2009
OK OK I still hate that I have to fast forward thru big hunks of it,but oh well.I just found this site and I will go thru my books and get back on the other subjects you mentioned.Oh and hey a couple of stiff drinks sounds good.I like gin and tonic with a lime.Happy days