The Sinking Is So Sad

rebecca heggs

Feb 19, 2007
It's heart wrenching that all those people died. some of the songs in the Titanic movie just make me shiver, thinking that these people thought they were the luckiest people in the world, and were tricked when it turned out to be a death trap, where less then half would survive.I thank the men for being so couragoues and giving their seats up, ture chivalry. And the children and their mothers who drown or froze in the icy atlantic water, I'm so sorry, it had to happen.I just marvel over how this could have happened.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I just marvel over how this could have happened.<<

Any particular reason? The Titanic wasn't really operated any differently on the North Atlantic run and that's sobering enough in it's own right. The assumptions that day to day operations were based on were commonplace throughout the industry. When you get down to it, the wonder of it all was that something that bad didn't happen any sooner.

D

Doni McLerran

Yes, Rebecca, is is very sad, very tragic.

One thing that sort of gets forgotten sometimes is that quite a few passengers weren't even supposed to be on the Titanic. Because of the coal strike, ships like the Adriatic (and I think the Oceanic also) were cancelled, and their coal transferred to the Titanic -- so of course the passengers also ended up transferred as well. I imagine many were thrilled to have such "good" luck. But of course, we know that in the end, they really weren't so lucky, were they?

It is sad, in many ways and on many levels.

-Doni

Apr 27, 2007
I've only Just stumbled onto this site, and as I read down the names of the victims, especially the young and very young, I had tears in my eyes. Lots remember the films 'A night to Remember' 'The Unsinkable Molly Brown', 'Titanic' et al. But nothing beats the Poignancy one has when reading that stark list of victims.

Sep 4, 2007
Anyone else here feels a deep, deep regret for the lives lost that night?, as if you knew all of them personally? I feel like I loved them all. Every time I think of that tragedy, my heart sinks at the thought of all those people dying like they did. I can't describe it...

[Moderator's note: This post was originally posted in a separate thread, but has been moved to the one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
What stands out in my mind are the deaths of entire families in third class. The Goodwin family (8), Ford family (5), Lefebre family (5), Panula family (7), Rice family (6), Sage family (11), Skoog family (8) to name a few. I feel that this is one of the greatest tragedies to come from this event.

H

Holly Peterson

Rebecca and Matthew, I agree with you completely. Although the sinking happened so many years ago, the sorrow in the minds of us Titanic enthusiasts is as fresh and sharp as if the sinking happened yesterday. Sometimes I myself fall into a deep sense of deppression over why this had to happen. I agree with you, Rebecca, that the men were very brave, but did you know that some of the women also gave up their seats in lifeboats? Check out the biographies of Annie Funk, Edith Evans or Rosalie Ida Strauss for more info. It gives me shudders to think about the deaths of so many innocent women (100) and children (115) as well. Matthew, I often feel sorrow over the large families of the Titanic lost, especially the Goodwins, whose tragic story first brought me into this obsession. May those poor souls always rest in peace and may they never be forgotten.

Yours respectfully,
Holly Alzbeta Peterson

T

Talira Greycrest

It's heartbreaking knowing that entire families were lost. All those people looking forward to starting new lives in America, only to have those dreams abruptly shattered in mid-ocean.