The songs played in A Night To Remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2000
Apart from "The Blue Danube", I'm tone deaf as to what the band is playing in "A Night To Remember."
Anybody know what the tunes are?
Thanks!

Richard K.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
I'll have to watch it too Rich, but as an aside, in Bill McQuitty's book about the making of the film he gives a great testimony to William Alwyns brilliant score in the section where he explained to him what sort of music he required:

"The score would be required to emphasize the power of the largest ship in the world and the challenge of the North Atlantic with its icebergs. It must also contrast the luxurious life of the first class passengerswith the situation of those in steerage. It would have to express the love and sacrifice, the courage and devotion of the wives, children and husbands,and, overall the terror of a fearful death..."

In my opinion he did exceptionally well!

Regards

Sam

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
I too would like to know about the music in ANTR. I particularly would like to know the song that is played during the lunch scene in the 1st Class Dining Saloon when Ismay displays the pen that stays still on the table.
Thanks,
David

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
On Saturday, I went to a concert which celebrated the centenary of Northampton composer, William Alwyn. The rather remote titanic connection is that he wrote the score to ANTR.

May 3, 2005
David-

Sounds as if the music in question might be a waltz...possibly Strauss ?..... "Wine, Woman and Song" ?

Regards,

Robert

May 3, 2005
>>I particularly would like to know the song that is played during the lunch scene in the 1st Class Dining Saloon when Ismay displays the pen that stays still on the table. <<

Has anyone come up with the answer to "Name That Tune" ?

Jul 12, 2005
There was a 45 rpm record issued with music from "A Night to Remember". If my memory serves me correctly, the music played when the Duff Gordons go down the staircase is called "Ship's Orchestra Selection". This means to me that this piece of music was composed especially for the movie soundtrack. Robert H. Gibbons

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I'll check out the music in question as soon as I retrieve my tape.

It's possibly a pastiche composed by Alwyn. A few years ago, I asked the William Alwyn Society about the music in ANTR. I was told that it's by Alwyn. There may be a few bits by other composers, but not much.

May 3, 2005
>>It's possibly a pastiche composed by Alwyn.<<

I've gone through several DVD's of Strauss' music.
It's very close to many of Strauss' but....not quite the same . If it's a pastiche "in the style of Strauss" it's a very good one ! :)

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I've just watched most of ANTR.

I'm convinced the music in the scene with the pencil is by Alwyn. Expert composers can write that sort of stuff in their sleep. Ever heard Variations on a Birdie Came Flying, by somebody called Ochs? Each variation is in the style of a famous composer.

Some music not by Alwyn is the Blue Danube, which follows the scene with Lightoller and the carpenter. There's another waltz that I'm not sure of. It keeps flitting in and out, notably when Lightoller is on his rounds.

Off to Philadelphia in the Morning is by Johnny Patterson, a Irish entertainer I've mentioned elsewhere. Then there's NMGTT. The rest is Alwyn and it's interesting to hear how little there really is. Very British!

Status
Not open for further replies.