The specific sinking times

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Does anyone agree with these? If not, can you post the official times please? Currently trying to do a sinking sequence, and would help if I got the times correct. I know the important ones, like when she’s broke in half, when she went under, the first lifeboat being lowered, etc. but it would really help to know. Thanks y’all!

Last edited:

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
I would agree with the timings here myself and I'm doing a little research of my own on the same subject.
Found this report given by steward James William Cheetham Witter and it agrees with the flooding time of just before 12 midnight for the mail room, information provided by the ship's joiner John Hutchinson.

I hope to find more statements that confirm the times of flooding around the ship and I'm sure others here will be able to help.

Reactions: 1 user

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Barrett would claim that he escaped boiler room 5 by making his way to the working alley on E deck. He would put this at about 1:10 according to his testimony, or 1:30 according to a newspaper account. Barrett would say that he saw water forward on E deck. We can make a pretty good assumption than that his was forward of the door leading down into boiler room 5. We know that Barrett escape Titanic in boat 13 which launched around 1:40.

Wheat would say that he saw water coming along the starboard corridor and that it was spilling down the grand staircase to F deck where his quarters were. He would make the statement, " I thought the water had come up the stairway leading down to the Post Office, and then ran along E deck, and then down on to F." He would say that the flow was no deeper than the heel of his boots. He would state that he saw this flooding at around 12:45 to 12:50 – or ‘about and hour’ after the collision. He would also say that the working alley was dry. Wheat would go atop and see boat 9 being filled (which launched at 1:30) and he would escape in boat 11 at 1:35.

First Class Passenger Laura Francatelli would write:

…it was about 1/4 to 12, when the crash came. I was just getting into bed. Madame & Sir Cosmo had been in bed sometime, they were up on A deck the top, and I on E, the bottom deck for saloon passengers, it was a marvelous boat, like a floating huge Hotel, in fact I have not seen an Hotel so grand. The collision shook me, as well as everything else in my room. I immediately slipped on my dressing gown, & opened my door, saw several people come out of their rooms in night attire, two Gentlemen came up, & spoke to me, & told me not to be frightened, but go back to bed, we had run into an iceberg, but we were quite safe, however the engines were making a terrific noise. I still stood there quite 20 minutes, or more, saw all the officers come down, to inspect the damage, & then starting screwing down the iron doors outside my bedroom, presently a man came rushing up, saying all the Hold & luggage & Mail had gone, so I thought I shall fly on a few things, & go & tell Madame. When I left my room the water was on my deck, coming along the corridor. We were 20 feet above the water level, so we had already sunk 20 feet, but of course I did not realise this till afterwards. Everybody I passed assured me, I was safe, but to my terrible surprise, I found all the people running up & down the stairs.

"When I reached Madame's room, she was already out of bed, & put two dressing gowns on for warmth, Sir Cosmo was dressing. The next minute a man came along & said "Captains orders," all to put life preservers on, and the next instant they were putting one on Madame, & I, Oh Marion that was a sickening moment, I felt myself go like Marble, but Madame & I prayed together, for God to look after us, & keep us safe, if it was his will. Sir Cosmo then took us up on top deck.”

According to Cosmo Duff Gordon they reached the deck in time to see the launching of the first lifeboat, lifeboat number 7. This is believed to have occurred around 12:40. Shortly afterwards he would see rockets being launched and then the launching of boats 5 and 3. They would escape in boat 1 which is believed to have launched at 1:05.

Ray would say that he went to E deck and found the forward part under water, and the he could ‘just manage to get through the doorway into the main stairway.” He would then cross over to the starboard side and see no one there. He would state that he, “…looked to see where the water was and it was corresponding on that side of the ship to the port side.”

This would make it sound like Ray only saw water in the working alley on the port side of the ship and not the starboard side. This is in contradiction with Wheat and Francatelli. However, if one reads the statement again a clue perhaps emerges. Ray states, “I went across to the other side of the ship where the passengers’ cabins were; saw nobody there. I looked to see where the water was and it was corresponding on that side of the ship to the port side.” The part ‘corresponding on that side of the ship to the port side’ could mean that the water was in the starboard alley, but hugging the port side of the starboard alley.

This is in line with Wheat who said that water was trickling along the corridor, and obviously making its way from starboard to the port side, thus going down the staircase. This would indicate that Titanic was taking a considerable list to the port. This list is often attributed to water making its way into the working alley, however, the starboard corridor, though narrower, was just as opened, and on top of that, Wheat did not see any water there, meaning that water was in the starboard alley first. We do know though that when boat 10 was launched at 1:50 there was roughly a 10 degree list to Titanic’s port.

This would put the order of people seeing water as Francatelli, seeing water encroach on E deck. Francatelli would then make it to the Gordons in time to hear the 12:15 order for lifebelts and make it on deck. This means that water had reached E deck shortly after Robinson water 6 steps away at 12:10. Wheat would then see water tracking along the starboard corridor and making its way to the port side down the stairway. When Wheat made it to the port side he did not see any water. This was around 12:45-1:00. Barrette would come up from boiler room 5 and see water in the forward area of the alleyway at 1:10. He would contribute this due to open portholes. This may explain why the port side seemed to go from dry to wet rather quickly, possibly within 10 to 20 minutes, and thus the sudden increase of a list to port. Ray would then come down and see flooding all the way to the door leading to the grand staircase on the port side. When he came to the starboard side he noticed the water was corresponding to the portside of the starboard corridor being that an effective list to port had now been gained. This after seeing boat 7 launched and he got on deck by the filling of boat 9 which was launched at 1:30am.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
He escaped Boiler Room 5 when the bulkhead collapsed, right? Well, if it was at 1:10, what was he doing for 30 minutes? It may be 1:30, because that gives him 10 minutes to climb up to the Boat Deck, and find his way to Lifeboat 13
Edit: thank you for being thorough. I have a survivor account book, with the lifeboat launch times, but nothing else. Thank you :)

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Barrett would claim that he escaped boiler room 5 by making his way to the working alley on E deck. He would put this at about 1:10 according to his testimony, or 1:30 according to a newspaper account. Barrett would say that he saw water forward on E deck. We can make a pretty good assumption than that his was forward of the door leading down into boiler room 5. We know that Barrett escape Titanic in boat 13 which launched around 1:40.
1:40 for No. 13 does not really fit. Barrett's 1:10 fit more with Beesley's first version of a launch time for 1:00.
At 1:40 a.m. Titanic had a list to port which got worse. None in No. 13 mentioned a list to port but a previous list to starboard. Barrett stated that he went directly up to A Deck making it in time when No. 13 was going to be lowered.
Beesley and a few others mentioned how they watched Titanic sinking lower for about 1 hour before the final plunge started.
The other times also do not really fit when you took the list of the ship in account.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
He escaped Boiler Room 5 when the bulkhead collapsed, right?
A bulkhead did not collapsed. Barrett would have not survived this also he denied that it was a bulkhead collapse. It was most likely the door to the coal bunker which gave way under the water pressure.

Well, if it was at 1:10, what was he doing for 30 minutes? It may be 1:30, because that gives him 10 minutes to climb up to the Boat Deck, and find his way to Lifeboat 13
Exactly! He did not need 30 minutes from E Deck to get to A Deck. He was at his testimony clear that he went up from E to A Deck.

Reactions: 2 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
A bulkhead did not collapsed. Barrett would have not survived this also he denied that it was a bulkhead collapse. It was most likely the door to the coal bunker which gave way under the water pressure.

Exactly! He did not need 30 minutes from E Deck to get to A Deck. He was at his testimony clear that he went up from E to A Deck.
so documentaries are spreading false information, then. Maybe they say bulkhead because it sounds cooler than "coal bunker door"

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
1:40 for No. 13 does not really fit. Barrett's 1:10 fit more with Beesley's first version of a launch time for 1:00.
At 1:40 a.m. Titanic had a list to port which got worse. None in No. 13 mentioned a list to port but a previous list to starboard. Barrett stated that he went directly up to A Deck making it in time when No. 13 was going to be lowered.
Beesley and a few others mentioned how they watched Titanic sinking lower for about 1 hour before the final plunge started.
The other times also do not really fit when you took the list of the ship in account.
so what time did the forecastle flood/submerge with her list to port? some, like THG say around 1:25. Others say around 1:45, like in TA's real time sinking. I always thought it was 1:50, then the boat deck begins to flood at 2:15. Then, she breaks in two at 2:18. anything wrong with these times?

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Disappointingly, I have yet to find a copy of the article you wrote on the lifeboat launching sequence. As I understand you dive into the listing of the ship and its relation to the launching of the boats in it. One day I'll be lucky enough to finally read it!