The Steamship Historical Society of America

Feb 14, 2011
I just aquired a boxload of issues of 'Steamboat Bill', the journal of the Steamship Historical Society of America. The issues were all from the 1960s and 1970s, and were of as excellent quality as the Titanic Commutators of the time. I know about the different titanic groups- THS, TIS, BTS, etc- But confess I know virtually nothng about the SHSA.When did this group start?
Does this group still exist? How would you rate the quality of thier journal 'Steamboat Bill?
'Steamboat Bill' seems to have a good coverage of liners, as well as inland ferries- luckily its not like 'Sea Classics' magaine, which is 99% Navy ships, a ytpe of vesel that holds zero interest for me....
Has the 'Steamboat Bill' earned the respect of the ocean liner and Titanic community?

Thanks

Tarn Stephanos

Apr 11, 2001
SSHSA is a first class organization. It has regional chapter meetings and an annual meeting. The last one I attended was in Providence, but for many years I was a member of the chapter which still meets in Seekonk, Mass. Their mammoth archive which would be the envy of any collector was at the University of Baltimore the last I heard, but recently I heard a rumor some of it was being sold off. The organization is particularly geared towards steamboat paddlewheelers but does have its handful of liner enthusiasts and the journal keeps liner lovers up to date with the "High Seas" section of Steamboat Bill.

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Shelley
Thanks for the info-I will join up this month.. I read my newly aquired collection of 'Steamboat bill' issues, and can say 'Steamboat bill' had some fine ocean liner articles. Any other members of the Steamship Historical Society of america out there?

Regards

tarn Stephanos

T

Timothy Trower

I have heard a rumor that the SSHSA is defunct. Any truth to this? (Their website seems down and replaced by something else.)

P

patrick toms

MICHAEL STANDART THANKS FOR SUPPLYING INFO ON THE AMERICAN STEAMSHIP SOCIETY IE E-MAIL,I HAVE CONTACTED THEM IN RELATION TO MY GRANDFATHER WHO WAS AN EMPLOYEE OF THE AMERICAN LINE BEFORE DROWNING ON THE TITANIC.
PATB TOMS PRESIDENT SHANNON ULSTER TITANIC SOCIETY