The Telemotor

C

Colin W. Montgomery

I don't think I would want to pay that much, however I will try the other things you mentioned.

Feb 6, 2003
Can you tell me who made the telemotor? It said above Brown Company. But id like a proper id on the company. Im tryin to work out a theory i been lookin at for a while. Has something to do with another ship and the telemotor. I believe i have found another ship that to this day has the same telemotor as that on the Titanic. Dont mean to be mysterious, but i want to see if im right or not.

S

Scott R. Andrews

Joshua,

The telemotor equipment was made by Brown Brothers & Co., Ltd. Rosebank Ironworks, Edinburgh, Scotland. The lineal descendant of the Company survives as a unit of Rolls Royce Plc, and is still a major provider of steering gear and stabilizers.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Feb 6, 2003
Gotcha thanks bud. I will right this down and add it to the folder of stuff im puttin together on the ship im goin to see over spring break. Im goin down to see the battleship Texas. She was built the same year as the Titanic. I have seen pictures of here steering equipment and the telemotor on the ships bridge and conning tower are a spot on match to Titanic's. Right down to the four bolts on the top of it. I cant wait to see it. Im takin the hard hat tour of the ship. Which gets u into areas of the ship most people dont get to see. The telemotor isnt well seen. But im gonna try my best to have a good look at.

Laura Sprague

Mar 13, 2007
The original Queen Mary also had a telemotor steering system. I found this out when I took the self-guided tour while staying onboard for a couple of days. The ship's wheel was on a pedestal that looked similar to that on the Titanic, so I asked the officer/tour guide what kind of steering system it was, and he told me it was a telemotor. Just thought you all might find that interesting.

Sep 9, 2009
From an ex marine engineer, albeit a long time ago, here's how it works.
On the bridge- Is the steering wheel directly connected to a small hydraulic pump. When rotated the delivery is piped to the steering flat located above the rudder.
In the steering flat- Is located the main hydraulic actuater connected to the rudder,the telemotor,an electrically driven, high variable delivery hydraulic pump which runs continuously.
Operation.- The main pump,although running does not deliver unless a change of direction is required. The telemotor receives any signal from the bridge ( By turning the steering wheel),and magnifies it,to operate the control lever on the main hydraulic pump which will deliver to the main actuating rams connected to the rudder. When the required change of direction is reached, the telemotor cancels the signal given to the main pump, and delivery ceases although the pump is still running. Hope this helps.

steffen19k

Jul 5, 2014
The telemotor on the bridge.

Of all the things that continue to baffle me about the Titanic... How is it her telemotor for the ship's wheel is still where it belongs?

I mean when I think of all the possible stresses that could have been playing on it, for it look as if it had never gone anywhere over the course of the sinking is either a feat of engineering, or a complete fluke...

(Oh yes, and I'm a new person here. So bear with me)

Dec 4, 2000
Sometimes in chaotic events odd things result. The bronze of the pedestal was obviously strong enough to survive the wheelhouse being ripped apart around it. Beyond that, we can't say.

-- David G. Brown

steffen19k

Jul 5, 2014
The Telemotor pedestal was bronze?? That would explain why it didn't shear the bolts. I'll bet you, however, that any genius who'd try to raise the pedestal would have an ungodly time, as those bolts would probably have to removed with C4 now.

I would personally kill to see what that thing was doing in slow motion photography. Must've looked like a scene from the matrix or something; wobbling like a piece of spaghetti as the whole hull quaked, don't you think?