The thing that REALLY bugs me about 1997 Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dana Cantu

During the sinking sequences, it shows all of First class filling up with water and whatnot, then it shows the Third Class Irish woman with her children tucking them in...HELLO!?!?! Wouldn't that area be underwater already? Then like before that they show Isidor & Ida Strauss or whatever laying on their bed filling up with water! It doesn't make sense, and yes I know I know it's just a movie, but that doesn't mean you have to contridict yourself in the film!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The third class woman would have been in the stern, which stayed dry until the breakup. Isidor and Ida were in a first class area well forward. First class, first drowned!

I'm no fan of Cameron's flick, but he got this right.

D

Dana Cantu

No thanks my boyfriend gives me all the hugs I need. But I do apologize for my statement earlier.

[Moderator's Note: A subsequent message commenting on the material Phil described as "offensive" has been removed. Let's let it drop, folks. MAB]

[Second Note: Thirteen more messages, which drifted entirely away from the subject of this thread, have been moved here. MAB]

Mark Ovenden

Mar 30, 2009
As much as I love the Film there's one little thing that bugs me also, it's the fact that Molly Brown just 'happened' to have her Son's Evening Suit with her......I'm wondering was the Son on board?, if so surely he would have required the Suit himself, if he was not on board then why would Molly have his Suit if the Son was presumably in the USA.......

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Margaret (she was never called Molly) Brown's son was not on board. If I recall correctly, the story about the suit was created for the movie; it's fiction.

Although, her daughter was traveling with her during the first leg of the trip through Europe, but she stayed behind in London.

May 3, 2005
If I recall correctly, there was also a story that the story about the suit was to be the same as in the 1953 movie - rented or purchased at the tailor shop - (of which there was none on Titanic) and the story had to be created otherwise. "How do we get Jack in a tux ?" :)

Given credit to the writers that Mrs. Brown might have found a bargain in Paris or elsewhere to buy a tux for her son. :)

Also, I think that Mrs. Brown would have had a more cultured manner of speech than that depicted in both ANTR and the 1997 version, since she was quite fluent (it has been said) in several other languages.

May 27, 2007
Jack and Rose and their highly improbable relationship! Wasted the talents of Winslet and DiCaprio Other then that I liked the Movie fine!

Oct 17, 2006
Well its called taking liberities with the material. Certain things have to be overlooked or changed in order to fuel the script and add to the dramatic effect. Its like Leo and his friend up on the bow screaming in delight and making dog sounds. We see Captain Smith looking on and smiling whereas had someone actually done that they likely would have been detained and or reprimanded for taking such an awful risk. Its the same with Rose climbing over the railing and suspending herself from the stern. Hardly actions someone in 1912 would have taken.

Nov 21, 2007
Well Rose WAS going to kill herself...

James Cameron said that the tux was a gift Mrs. brown 'bought for her son in Europe' this would not have been an unusual gift, and one might enjoy maybe a French tailored tux. They had originally planed for Jack to go to a shop on board and buy a tux. In the original script, Rose then introduces Jack as a man from different places like a count form Germany or something like that. Just to test his skill at getting along with the others of first class.

Mary Hamric

May 4, 1999
Didn't Pelligrino say in "Ghosts" that Helen Candee went to the very bow of the ship and looked over. Is this correct?

May 27, 2007
Hello Mary,I remember discussing this in the Helen Churchill Candee topic? Or one of the topics we have on Pellegrino! Look in Titanic Books for Pellegrino and Passengers for Mrs. Candee!

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Pellegrino has been known to 'add' things... Mike Findlay, who knew Marjorie Newell Robb well, said she never gave such an interview as to the one found on his website. And much has been said about other invented dialogue in his books.

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 13, 1999
Interesting Michael, I wasn't aware of that. Along similar lines, Pellegrino has a letter from Greaser Alfred White on his website, part of which is included in one of his books, which is dated June 21, 1912. I must clarify that I have no reason to question the authenticity of the letter itself.

In this account, White claims that he was in the fourth funnel when the ship broke in half, and that he fell into the ocean with the funnel. Pellgrino suggests he was in Collapsible A.

Needless to say, White's account is extremely unlikely on the face-value of it, but was accepted as factual in the book. However, White gave multiple interviews and accounts in April 1912, which describe his escape as follows: White was ordered on deck to check on the situation. Going up and finding the ship down by the head and all the boats gone, he did not go back below, but went to an empty set of davits, and lowered himself to the ocean, similar to Hemming's escape. He describes being pulled from the water into an lifeboat, and the description of the occupants sounds very close to that of boat #4. He says it was a regular boat, and had several women in it, nothing that matches Collapsible A.

In any event, the more dramatic version of White's escape was the one that found its way into print, despite the fact that White had dramatically shifted his story from what he told multiple times in April 1912, leaving the June version completely discredited. More reason for people not to believe everything they read in a book, without checking the sources out for themselves.

Kind regards,
Tad

May 27, 2007
I heard that Pellegrino adds things but then I wonder about what archives he has from Walter Lord. Doesn't Pellegrino have a load of archives from the collection of Walter Lord?

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
You'd have to ask Shelley Dziedzic about that, I think. I'm under the impression that all of Walter Lord's archives were donated to the Maritime Museum in England, along with many Titanic related effects, such as Edith Russell's musical pig.

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 13, 1999
Kyrila,
I don't know which Walter Lord documents Pellegrino has access to, but I do know that the Lord-McQuitty collection in Greenwhich, which you refer to above, contains a large chunk of Lord's correspondence and letters. I'm not sure if this is the same material Pellegrino had access to or if that is something else.

Some of these Lord materials are accessible online: http://www.paullee.com/titanic/

I hope that you're having a great week so far.

All my best,
Tad

May 27, 2007
Thank you, Kyrila and Tad for the information! I heard some where perhaps on this board perhaps not that Pellegrino got a ton of Lord's Archives!

Status
Not open for further replies.