The third hull section

• Thread starter Nuno Viriato R R Cruz
  • Start date

N

Nuno Viriato R R Cruz

I've read it somewhere that there has been discovered a 3rd hull section of the titanic, over 60 feet long..

Does any one has more information or even photos of this piece.

Nuno

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
Nuno,

Because of the violence of the break up there are lots of fragments of the hull, of varying sizes, scattered between the two main pieces. I don't think there's one "third piece" as such. A very large piece of the ship's bottom and keel was discovered a few years ago in the debris field: some have speculated that it may have been the final section to break when the ship split - and could actually have kept the bow and stern connected for at least a short part of their journey to the bottom. Possibly this may be what you've read about.

Steve

G

Ginni-Rae Hooker

A few years back I watched a National Geographic document on the Titanic and they showed it did infact break into three parts. But I have not heard of any backing of this theory since then. Apparently because the crash into the sea bed was so violent, it did break up into these "three sections". But who knows.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ginni, you might want to try the Discovery specials that have been presented. They usually air several times a year and contain photographs of the section of the double bottom that is for all intents and purposes the "third piece."

The crash in the seabed really had nothing to do with it as the collapse of the midsection occured on the surface and the break up was essentially complete long befor the sections hit bottom.

G

Ginni-Rae Hooker

Sadly here in NZ The Discovery Channel is part of a bulk packaged deal when you subscribe to Sky TV. It is also the most expensive deal.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Yes, I wanted to have it too but here is also you have to subscribe to cable television before you can get it at approx. US$40 a month.....