The Third Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Nobody saw the third piece break off during the sinking. Did the third piece break off from the ship on the surface or on the plunge down to the abyss?

Jan 5, 2001
From what I understand, working from a tired memory, the third piece was part of the ship's bottom around the area of the break. Since it was the ship's bottom, I suppose it's unlikely that it would have been above water for anyone to see -- since I don't believe Titanic was more than fifteen or twenty degrees or so by the bow when her hull failed.

You need an expert. Let's hope a techie, perhaps Roy Mengot, will pop in.

Best regards,

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stephen Stanger

Also remember that nobody really "saw" anything due to the rather large absence of light.
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, quite a few people saw well enough to know that the ship had broken in two. Check out day 8 of the testimony in the U.S. Senate inquiry. For all that, nobody could see what was happening underwater which was where this section of double bottom seperated from the rest of the hull.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Mike!

There was a documentary back in 2001 I believe where an expedition to map the Titanic site for posterity revealed the "third piece" of the Titanic's hull and it was remarkably intact, though laying on it's starboard side however. The large section is believed to contain the other half of the ship's engine as well as some intact boilers. Now as for where it separated, I would have to say it left the ship below water because when the bow and stern wrenched free from each other, that third piece, along with the keel plate were the only two items holding the ship together, so when it broke free I believe it was the first part of the ship to hit bottom, maybe a few minutes ahead of the bow.

Brian

Mar 18, 2000
The "bigger piece" was actually spotted by Ballard's expedition in 1986. Roy Mengot showed us a film clip of it at the THS convention in 1997.

T

Tom Pappas

A recent Discovery Channel expedition (possibly one Tim Foecke went on) located a 50-foot piece of the keel in the debris field.

C

Cassie Lacey

I don't mean to be patranising but what third piece. Nobody saw it during the sinking and no one saw it when Dr. Robert Ballard discovered it. It's possible but unfortunately i didn't get to see the recent expeditions

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Since the portion we're talking about is a large section of the double bottom, I'd be very surprised if anyone saw it come off even if the breakup had happened in broad daylight. This section was found in the debris field between the bow and stern sections.

Also, I'd say it's a fair bet that somebody "saw" it when it was discovered by the Ballard expedition. It just didn't become widely known until the later expeditions were presented by the Discovery Channel.

Tim Foecke

Jul 16, 2003
Yes I saw it on video from the 98 expedition. It likely broke when the aft expansion joint let go. The bottom was in anticlastic bending, so there would have been two stress hot spots, which is where she broke.

C

Cassie Lacey

Micheal and tim

OK i haven't seen the expeditions so i wouldn't know so please enlighten me

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Cassie, the expeditions were extensively covered by the Discovery channel's documentaries such as Titanic, Answers From The Abyss and Titanic, The Investigation Begins. The latter, if I recall correctly, was the one where they presented the first attempt to recover the section of hull plating known as The Big Piece.

Raymond Leggs

Apr 3, 2003
Well speaking of third pieces In James camerons Titanic film when the ship tore apart I Saw "The Big piece" Break away from the hull.
Was this on pourpoused or just coincedence?

T

Tom Pappas

If you take a look at Roy Mengot's model, you will see quite a few big pieces strewn all about the place. So I think "coincidence" is the correct answer.

mandi bailey

Aug 18, 2003
I have always been under the impression that the third piece was connected to the stern of the ship when it sank and that the impact of the stern hitting the bottom tore the third piece free. I might be wrong but the condition of the stern gives way to this line of thinking. good luck!

T

Tom Pappas

I doubt if the third piece was connected to anything for very far below the surface, as it is separated from the major chunks of bow and stern by several hundred yards.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I doubt if the third piece was connected to anything for very far below the surface, as it is separated from the major chunks of bow and stern by several hundred yards.<<

Agreed. Smart money is that this section seperated from everything else on the way down, and very likely while still close to the surface.

Mandi, whether or not the third peice remained connected to anything after the hull slipped beneath the surface really has nothing to do with the shattered condition of the stern section. The extensive damage of the stern section is a consequence of the trapped air being expelled when the sections filled with same imploded under the pressure of the water as it sank deeper.

The condition of the stern is graphic evidence of just how violent this event was. Apparantly, it was also loud enough that people in the boats heard it when it happened, only they thought it was the boilers exploding.

mandi bailey

Aug 18, 2003
I don't believe I ever said that the third piece was responsible for the condition in which the stern is in. In fact I know I didn't. I said that I was under the impression that the third piece was connected to the stern and was torn loose when the stern hit bottom. However I do agree that IF the third piece was connected to the stern it probably did not stay connected for the whole trip to the bottom.
Mandi

Status
Not open for further replies.