THE Thread on Threads1912 Fashions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Muhvic

Jul 3, 2001
George-
Colette got into the cosmetics around 1931. Facials etc. Her ideal was to show that young, and older, women did not need to overdo it. Don't think it lasted long, however. The economic times did not permit it.

Jim-
Mary P was a gold-hearted one; however she did work the typecast! She may have been a piece, but being the breadwinner by age 15 or so may have had an influence on her behavior. Not sure. She might have been trying to not be like Mabel Normand! Hot mess that was!

Actually the Mary/abortion angle is interesting. I heard it was after she married Owen Moore and, she said she fell off a horse (inducing miscarriage) during a film shoot. Maybe not. This was in 1911, and I want to bet a lot of ladies, whether actresses or middle class, to the titled sort, "in trouble", saved themselves (economically and/or socially) by this then very risky operation. This may not be the thread for this; I understand. But I'm thinking history, not controversy.

Take care-
Kris

Kris Muhvic

Jul 3, 2001
A redirection here.
Looking through Mrs. Cardeza's claim list of lost property I notice a few references to pieces from Vienna, listed from a place called "Ungar". I assume it was a store; but I could be wrong. The only Ungar I came across was actually a William Unger, who was an illustrator or lithographer at this time.
Most information I have gathered was through the Wiener Werkstatte and Josef Hoffmann. Emilie Floge was a fashion designer who opened her salon "Schwestern Floge" in 1903. But at this time she was promoting reform dress. Mainstream designs came in around 1910, when simple became more acceptable (compared to a decade previous).
Not sure if Mrs. Cardeza would have got into these styles, however interesting they may be.

Unfortunatly most information regarding 1910's Viennese fashion was lost during occupation/WWII (including Floge's salon and it's contents); so I'm hitting walls.

May 27, 2007
Hello Kris,

Thanks for the info on Collette. Fascinating lady.

She may have been a piece, but being the breadwinner by age 15 or so may have had an influence on her behavior.
I think it did so she was keen to play to type cast so she'd always have money. Unfortunately when she tried to break out later on it was too late because the public wouldn't except her in anything else.

I thought Mary getting thrown from the horse abortion was in 1913 or 14 or there about. I have a biography on her but don't know how good the Actress was who wrote it was on her research.

As For Mabel and Mary I never heard Mary P. make a bad comment on Mabel N. but Mabel made a few on Pickford once referring to some journalists interviewing her not to make her out sound "like a prissy b***h like that Pickford" when quoting her hobbies. I like Mabel Normand, she's a card. A great comedienne. It's too bad her life got all out of control because of drugs or Consumption (Tuberculosis) of the Lungs. That's what killed her in 1930. Her friends of which she had a lot swore to her biographer that she wasn't into drugs but that an old head injury was the cause of her mood swings which were either extreme gaiety or melancholy on the point of depression. They might of given her morphine for her head injury at the hospital and she could of become addicted to it. A lot of mystery there.

Mrs. Cardenza is a fascinating Passenger I'd like to know more about. Good luck on your research.

Sep 1, 2004
I think that that place called "Ungar" is wrongly spelled "Ungarn" - the german name of Hungary. In those times it was the Monarchy Austria-Hungary (í–sterreich-Ungarn in original) so it could be that.

Kris Muhvic

Jul 3, 2001
Thanks!
Yeah, George, these old screen sirens were masters of intrigue! I don't pretend to have knowledge of them all. Maybe I'll never do...part of the interest I guess!

And thank you for the spelling, Vitezslav, regarding this region. I have come across variants all over the place. What today we call Beruit was sometimes known as Beyrouth, for example. I may never know where Cardeza went shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies.